Mopar engine builder in or near Ohio?

-

Brian_R

Reaction score
Hey all!
Ok here is the deal. I have a big block engine I am looking to have looked over. I got the engine in a car I purchased and would like to have it checked out. I contacted Indy cylinder heads and was willing to take it there, but there is a catch. When I called them and explained the engine I was asked if it was a factory block. It is a factory block, so he told me they don’t make race engines outta factory blocks. I have done a lot research, and I see that there have been issues with them, but my motor has sleeves in it. Engine sleeves make it stronger right?
Also my engine has has the 440 Source big block main stud girdle kit, and that should also make the block stronger, right?
I am looking to put the engine in a chassis car and go bracket racing. NO nitrous or power adders just a motor and alcohol.

3E7B3CB4-CE45-4051-A2BC-9A41693E94B8.jpeg

Kammer&Kammer in Dayton Ohio is my trusted engine builder. Decades of Mopar experience and always a pleasure to visit and talk to Bob.

Wolfgang

Koffel's Place in Huron Ohio. Go see Scott Koffel there - great family of Mopar racers and engine builders.
Just bought a Barracuda with a fresh Koffel engine so the said. Won't turn by hand when warmed up. Also bores look terrible with a scope. Either the bores are tight or the ring gap. Didn't get it out of the car yet. Loud mufflers and fan hid the squeaking when we bought the car.

Also have not got a set of bolt on indy or edelbrock heads that were ready to install yet. They all had metal in them and usually need some type of work.

Sleeves are OK with a motor plate . Not with factory side mounts on a hard launch. Blocks flex more then you realize.

My son has done tons of race motors. You would not believe the disasters that come in the door.

Find a mega block$$$ or a warranty block. World products also make a good block$$$. good machinists with new machines are hard to find. Most important is Clean Clean Clean. and then Clean again. One piece of metal can do a lot of damage. It keeps making more pieces of metal. LOL

128644066_3894616927239777_8510931204585505558_o (1).jpg

128793638_3894617263906410_4665950895766829461_o.jpg

As I mentioned above, Bob Kammer is the man to talk to. A modern equiped shop, combined with decades of Mopar and racing history.

Wolfgang

Last edited:
Just bought a Barracuda with a fresh Koffel engine so the said. Won't turn by hand when warmed up. Also bores look terrible with a scope. Either the bores are tight or the ring gap. Didn't get it out of the car yet. Loud mufflers and fan hid the squeaking when we bought the car.

Also have not got a set of bolt on indy or edelbrock heads that were ready to install yet. They all had metal in them and usually need some type of work.

Sleeves are OK with a motor plate . Not with factory side mounts on a hard launch. Blocks flex more then you realize.

My son has done tons of race motors. You would not believe the disasters that come in the door.

Find a mega block$$$ or a warranty block. World products also make a good block$$$. good machinists with new machines are hard to find. Most important is Clean Clean Clean. and then Clean again. One piece of metal can do a lot of damage. It keeps making more pieces of metal. LOL

View attachment 1715658433

View attachment 1715658434
Love the Cuda and the lic. plate!

That's about the limit on a stock block. But if it's a light car you should be ok for a while. Just keep a eye on the main saddle area for cracks.
Thank you for your help. Its gonna go in a 91 dodge Daytona chassis car, fiberglass body, all chromoly etc car should weigh 1600-1700 lbs without me and engine.

Keep the reciprocating assembly as light as you can. There are still untouched 440 blocks out there too. I bought one for $350 last year for a buddy.
There is some great advice in the preceding threads here.

Thank you for your help. Its gonna go in a 91 dodge Daytona chassis car, fiberglass body, all chromoly etc car should weigh 1600-1700 lbs without me and engine.
That will get you down the road. Do you need a driver? lol.

Bes racing in Indiana 30 minutes from Edgewater race track

-
Back