Mopar gassers?

-
Here's a couple pics I got.

62 lancer bb.jpg

flower power cuda.jpg

We had such beautiful weather today,I had to go out cruseing and seen this along the road. 52? plymouth business coupe, on a chevy frame. would make a really cool gasser. same plan for my 52 dodge business coupe, real simular car. whats weird is I bought mine sitting on a damn chevy frame. wtf:-D

old plymouth 002.jpg

Bill, The guy I talked to is Mike Schmitz of La Porte City. He and son Chris
run a couple of Camaros around the midwest. Both are members of the Ozark Mountain Super Shifters. Chris is usually towards the top in points at Eddyville. I flew to Ostrich's shop years ago in Rich Sapp's plane. I believe Radar (Roger Luctenburg) was working there then. I haven't seen Radar for many years. I should stop by his shop when I'm crusing in my tool truck. I keep in touch with Woody (Keith Briden) who does a lot of Radar's
cast iron head porting and I am planning to have Woody work on my heads when I freshen up my 273. It's been great conversing with you. Keep in touch. Toolmanmike http://ozarkmountainsupershifters.com/

Mike,

Anecdote time: I lived at Ames in 1972 and made frequent visits to Gary Ostrich's shop to see Charlie and what the trick-of-the-week was.

I needed a cam. I had a grudge race coming up with a guy I worked with (he had a 440 Challenger 4-speed) and he'd just bought a new set of slicks.

Gary Ostrich did contract work for Chrysler, and he's just finished changing a 340 (Mark Coletti's "Riddler" Winternationals-winning '69 Barracuda) over from Stock to Super Stock and had the Stocker (hydraulic) cam lying on a shelf.

He said, Bill, you can have the cam, lifters and a new set of valve springs for $60.00.

SOLD!!!

The Challenger never had a chance... LOL!

Call me anytime, Mike; I'm in the book.

pettymori.jpg

wasnt a very successful endeavor for petty, just ask the spectators...

Do we count? The engine was blue printed by Ramchargers speed shop in spring of 1969. They guaranteed my dad that with headers and the right gears it would be one of the fastest a-stock cars in the country. Never got into racing but it's fun to terrorize the neighborhood :p

ron-3.jpg

Hey billc... do you have anymore pics of richard petty's barracuda? I have been trying to find pics of it and they are hard to find. not like the car was around long :/

wasn't exactly a fan favorite or spectator friendly...

yeah, i went there

You asked for some pics 'from back in the day' but here's some from Mopars At The Strip last weekend:

P3200700 (Small).JPG

P3200699 (Small).JPG

P3210725 (Small).JPG

P3210724 (Small).JPG

wasn't exactly a fan favorite or spectator friendly...

yeah, i went there

not sure what you mean by that. But the car wasn't around long because he crashed it and killed someone in the process (a kid??).... he quit drag racing after that....

Soooooooo whats your point exactly?

And thanks Bill for more pics!

I think he means that if your car kills a spectator, it isn't very "spectator friendly." That factor would probably prevent it from being a "fan favorite."

Just my guess...

ahhh ok.... I didnt mean to sound like a jerk about it... I was just confused... didnt know what he meant...

that was a very unfortunate accident,Richard Petty is one very nice and caring person and It is a shame to have that happen.and will always be one of my hero's

Very sad and tragic accident. I'm sure Mr. Petty lives with that memory ever day of his life. He's one of my hero's also.

I was looking at a site with pictures of Northeast Nascar Modifieds. Here are some of the Mopar Bodied Cars.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

-
Back