Mopar Manipulatin’ , HRM August ‘69

-
89FDD0F7-9B18-42D3-9330-CF813625DB62.jpeg

Interesting that they were using an LD4B. I guess the LD340 had not been released yet.

Interesting that they were using an LD4B. I guess the LD340 had not been released yet.

Keep reading. They used the LD340 in tests 2A and 3A. The reason I bought these issues was because it was the first time the LD340 had ever been mentioned. I used to have one ~2005 and sold it before I ever used it. Recently purchased a mint one. I have a 340 / 4 speed Duster I want to use it on. Good to know it’s 420 hp capable.

Well we'll see if round two works...........

Attachments

• MoparManipulatin2.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 136
Anybody want to join the Army with me? My recruiter says there is a Buddy Program and we can stay together during our two year hitch. He said if we sign up today we will be out by 1973. Says we’ll probably just go to Germany and party the whole time.
View attachment 1715765560
know of guys who did that and took the big reinlistment bucks to buy thier dream muscle cars.

Back in 68 my bonus would have been about $10,000. I felt I would make that my first year back in civilain life. I actually made $8000 first year back and it only went up each year. When I left the Service I was making $180 a month and that was with the $30 for separate rations. I bought a 68 Road Runner Hardtop in Jan. of 68 and was paying $90 a month on the note. Good thing I got out in Oct of 68 and started a real job in Nov. of that year. Even when I was in the Service I worked 2 jobs and even with my real job. Extra money paid for Vacations and always had a new car.

know of guys who did that and took the big reinlistment bucks to buy thier dream muscle cars.

Back in 68 my bonus would have been about $10,000. I felt I would make that my first year back in civilain life. I actually made $8000 first year back and it only went up each year. When I left the Service I was making $180 a month and that was with the $30 for separate rations. I bought a 68 Road Runner Hardtop in Jan. of 68 and was paying $90 a month on the note. Good thing I got out in Oct of 68 and started a real job in Nov. of that year. Even when I was in the Service I worked 2 jobs and even with my real job. Extra money paid for Vacations and always had a new car.

I got an $8000 reenlistment bonus in 2008 and spent every dime of it on my 1970 ‘cuda. Went to Iraq and spent nearly all my extra earnings on that car too.

My dad’s friend was on a Navy ship. A guy was going ship to ship taking orders for the big 3 and he ordered a 1969 Cobra Jet Mustang. Still has it to this day. Always garaged and waxed it so much the paint is wearing thin.

It’s amazing how some things haven’t changed. I was born in 1980 (9 years before the article was written) and for some time, as I watched I Love Lucy and Beverly Hillbillies re-runs, I actually thought the world was black and white. I mean, I was like 4-5 years old.
I don’t really subscribe to the whole Generation X,Y,Z framework. I was raised like my parents were raised. Different cast members. Raised in the church and raised on Mopars and classics.
Whether I’m 41 or 61 I would still be hunting these intake manifolds and blowing my money on Mopars. Would still have the same morals. Same everything. You old guys are lucky you had these things when they were new.

Last edited:
The 68 RR only had P.S., sure grip and 4 speed. The Hardtop came with the Deluxe Interior and the trim piece on the trunk. I think about $300 more for the Hardtop but worth it. Too bad it was stolen once, got it back but 4 speed was messed up. Insurance covered tranny. Tried to steal it again and neighbors stopped the attempt. Traded it in for 71 340 Duster that had everything but the kitchen sink.

Thanks for posting go-fish. Just dug my mags out of the archives.

The only problem we would eventually face that Muscle cars became a thing of the past and cars were getting pricey. I had a 72 Duster that was totaled and to replace it dealer said it would be about $5000. So instead he sold me a 75 Cordoba that was twice the car compared to the Duster. Did you ever buy a complete Lemon, well that car was it. I guess there is some truth in never buy a car in its first year. It wasn't like there was any thing that hadn't been around for years. By the way Cordoba was only about $350 more.

Hot Rod dyno tested a 383 a year earlier (October 1967). It was a 67 version, supposed to have 325 hp. Actually made 280 - exactly the same real hp as a 68 340 rated at 275 hp. Also, coincidentally, exactly what a 67 383 was rated when it was put into an A body.

The 340 was one of the very few engines they dyno tested that actually made its rated horsepower (actually five more).

One of the worst was a 1958 Ford 352 - first year for the FE motor, supposed to have 300 hp. Actually made 200.

I drove a 352 Ford from the early 60's. It was the most gutless V8 I ever drove.

Hot Rod dyno tested a 383 a year earlier (October 1967). It was a 67 version, supposed to have 325 hp. Actually made 280 - exactly the same real hp as a 68 340 rated at 275 hp. Also, coincidentally, exactly what a 67 383 was rated when it was put into an A body.

The 340 was one of the very few engines they dyno tested that actually made its rated horsepower (actually five more).

One of the worst was a 1958 Ford 352 - first year for the FE motor, supposed to have 300 hp. Actually made 200.
Were these 383 motors dyno'd in the cars? We all know that the 383 in an A body suffered miserably due to the restrictive exhaust

Were these 383 motors dyno'd in the cars? We all know that the 383 in an A body suffered miserably due to the restrictive exhaust

No, it was an engine dyno, same kind of dyno test as the 340 a year later. And not to be a butt, and I well understand the "conventional wisdom," but I would dispute that the A body 383 "suffered miserably due to the restrictive exhaust."

I have that complete article and the follow up in a green 50 page paperback book with all kinds of other Mopar LA HI-po articles in it. Got it at a swap meet brand new . That's the book that has the 273 weber 4X2 setup, I think they made like 20 of those? The Army contract was called COHORT (spelling?) where they would take ~90 11's (infantry) and put them in the same boot camp platoon and they would stick together their entire 3 years in the same unit. Smart guys back in the Vietnam era enrolled with a guaranteed contract of something non combat related. Marines had all kinds of MOS's in the same bootcamp platoon as every Marine is a rifleman first, then whatever they want to send you to school for. We had HAWK missile techs, 1 heavy equipment operator, artillery, armor, 2 air traffic controllers, a few cooks (open contract drug waivers) and a few admin. About 50 out of the 90 were 03's (infantry). Once we graduated we all went our own ways. I went to North Carolina ITS (Infantry training School) from San Diego boot camp for some reason as most everyone else just took a bus 45 miles north to Camp Pendleton, CA.

No, it was an engine dyno, same kind of dyno test as the 340 a year later. And not to be a butt, and I well understand the "conventional wisdom," but I would dispute that the A body 383 "suffered miserably due to the restrictive exhaust."
I don't believe it's just "conventional wisdom".

-
Back