More engine damage

-
Here's one for you............

If there is no damage to the cylinder walls, why not just pull pistons out, leave the rings on, clean everything thoroughly, put pistons and rings back in, with out a hone job. No reason why you can't.

True..but its all apart so it's getting done..just the way I like to do things..

the stock pickup broke, not predictable. then the pump sucked up some metal, a heavy duty pump driveshaft would not have helped. I bet 75% of U guys talking **** are running stock pickups?

Once you remove the rings from the pistons you don't reuse them (at least I wouldn't in a race engine). Really easy to damage them taking them off.

I don't doubt the parts are ok 340 - my concern is that you have harmonics that caused the part to fail quicker. That's a balance thing and you'll see signs of it on the cap mating surfaces and sometimes on the bearings if the wear surface is intact.

Once you remove the rings from the pistons you don't reuse them (at least I wouldn't in a race engine). Really easy to damage them taking them off.

I don't doubt the parts are ok 340 - my concern is that you have harmonics that caused the part to fail quicker. That's a balance thing and you'll see signs of it on the cap mating surfaces and sometimes on the bearings if the wear surface is intact.

Oh ya' i wouldn't reuse the rings no way..

No more likely to damage them taking them off than you are putting them on; though I did not suggest taking them off the pistons. As to reusing them; how does a ring know it has been removed from a cylinder?

August "Car Craft" has some enlightening reading if you haven't already.

Two things I do differently I guess...
1. I don't clean a piston for re-use without removing the rings even on my lawn mower's Briggs.
2. I don't reuse a ring if an engine has been run enough to seat them.

The ring certainly doesn't know it. But the hand that pulls it certainly does. Use of a ring installer will limit the possibility of bending the ring out of shape, but rings are not designed to be pried open without sustaining some deformation and because it's a flat piece of iron that deformation is in two directions. Deformation increases the potential for sealing problems - not on the bore but on the ring land itself which is probably more crutial. Not using an installer can definitely tweak them very easily. Take a 1mm ring and twist it off, or use the installer and pry the ring wide enough to go over the piston for the 2nd and 3rd time and see how it sits in the grove and how far the gap brows when the ring is sitting "neutral". We're talking race engines here - not a warranty plow truck engine or some low or medium performance deal thrown in a cruise night car.
You want to re-use them that's your prerogative. None of mine will get reused even if Petersen Publishing says it can be.

It wasn't Peterson Publishing, or even The Enthusiast Network ( Car Crafts new publisher, Peterson went the way of the condor) who said it can be........it was a guy by the name of John Kaase, in a test.

It's a eng that is expected to run to its potential every day. Probably wont smoke or even be hard to start.
But you ET will. !!!!
I have heard of re use of ring. Piston ring are NOT enough$$$ to take that gamble.:thumbsup:

Hey stroked, any other damage seen?

Found some scratches in a few cylinders going to run a stone and honing ball through them tonight hopefully they clean up..if not going to have to bore it..not happy about that..

360 going to be put aside for now.. concentracting on the 416 have all winter to get it done,if I get it done the way I want it should be killer..:D:D

-
Back