moving the rear end

-

mac daddy mopar

Reaction score
the rear end in my scamp is off center, by 1/2 inch, the car tracks straight, it's just the passenger side tire scrubs on bumps/ pot holes, 275/60/15 bfg
can I loosen the u bolts and slide it over? or do I need to drop it out and make the hole in the spring perch bigger? thanks.

Mark

you sure it's the rear end? these unibody cars flex a lot and I don't think Ma Mopar's idea of "precision" on some things aren't on the same page as ours. I'd go to a frame/alignment shop and have them check it out.

well first thing i would do is pull the wheels and make sure there both the same backspacing. then use a straight edge or something off the axle flange and see how it relates to the wheel well lip.

if the latter is off the perches could have been welded in wrong

...........Ma mopar didnt have the best quality control back then, the panel are most likely off ................kim.............

the rear end in my scamp is off center, by 1/2 inch, the car tracks straight, it's just the passenger side tire scrubs on bumps/ pot holes, 275/60/15 bfg
can I loosen the u bolts and slide it over? or do I need to drop it out and make the hole in the spring perch bigger? thanks.

Mark

1/2 inch is about normal....LOL

Our 71 Dart has the same problem....really noticed it went i put slicks on it..one side took more rubbing to get them to clear...

thanks guys, I'm 99% sure the backspacing is the same, as I ran these rims on my Dakota, I'll do some measuring and go from there, thanks again.

Mark

It wasn't until the imports made quality control an issue that tolerances were tightened. As long as the frame was square it didn't matter if the two sides of the car were not dimensionally the same. Remember, these cars weren't designed for big tires.
The only suggestion I can make is to trim or roll the fender lip on the tight side.

It wasn't until the imports made quality control an issue that tolerances were tightened. As long as the frame was square it didn't matter if the two sides of the car were not dimensionally the same. Remember, these cars weren't designed for big tires.
The only suggestion I can make is to trim or roll the fender lip on the tight side.

already rolled them, but I think I can go a skosh more.

68 barracuda is also 1/2 off. thought it to be rear end untill i plumed the leaf spring bolt with a couple of frame locations. everything was good. just the body is off 1/2 inch
terry

A guy tryed to explain that offset to me once. It had something to do with the engine torqueing to the right upon acceration. Weight distribution and forward bite were the factors at play.
There are sooo many factors to address when building a car. Drive line offset, weight distribution, crown in asphault, etc.., etc... Then consider these will be built in left hand and right hand drive. Those engineers back in the day had a lot on their plate and their computer was only a slide rule and a chaulk board. LOL

whelp, I measured 7 ways to Sunday, everything seems to be where it belongs, so I'm just going to roll/ trim, the lip a skosh more, and live with the 1/2 inch off set, since the car goes straight down the road.

The important measurement is from the balljoints to the rearend, and diagonal between them.

The important measurement is from the balljoints to the rearend, and diagonal between them.

she pass side is 1/2 inch longer then the driver side, but the car tracks straight, and I took it to my friend who has a rack, and everything is where it belongs, and it seems from the posts that ma mopar did a bunch thru the years this way, so when I order my new rims, I'll have the back space matched to my needs, thanks for all the replies gang, you guys rock.

Mark

When I back halved, went 4 link and coil overs, tacked in; left it for 20 years. Came back to it, and to refresh my memory, as all the marks I had put on the floor were gone, did some quick measurements, and crapped.
1/2" wrong. After about 16 hours of plumb bobs and double checking, and talking to BBD forum... the body is off. As usual, I found out.
The only thing that matters is wheel base.

-
Back