MRL 340 for the 21st Century

-
I gotta say there Mike, I'm a believer. I know you've experimented for a long time on building punting-pahtoot stock stroke small blocks.

It also make me wonder what will happen to anyone else, should they be bold enough to publish what they have done, if it exceeds normal expectations.

I suppose if Cody and I fail miserably with the LAX heads on the stroker, at least some people will feel sorry for us..........that's what we will do.........we'll only tell about it if we fail......that way we don't have to put up with a bunch of poopoo.

Okay then, I'm off to work on the failure!
I gotta say there Mike, I'm a believer. I know you've experimented for a long time on building punting-pahtoot stock stroke small blocks.

It also make me wonder what will happen to anyone else, should they be bold enough to publish what they have done, if it exceeds normal expectations.

I suppose if Cody and I fail miserably with the LAX heads on the stroker, at least some people will feel sorry for us..........that's what we will do.........we'll only tell about it if we fail......that way we don't have to put up with a bunch of poopoo.

This is a great build as I have a 340 on the stand getting ready to be built. I also have an an out of the box set of w9 heads that flow 320 @ .700 out of a 200cc port. How do you think this build would perform with the w9's, a small 598 intake 11:1 compression and similar cam?

great build thank you very much for the info ...can we hit it with the 200 shot now...340 stroker eater lol

This is a great build as I have a 340 on the stand getting ready to be built. I also have an an out of the box set of w9 heads that flow 320 @ .700 out of a 200cc port. How do you think this build would perform with the w9's, a small 598 intake 11:1 compression and similar cam?
You're quoting me so I guess you want me to guess. I look at it this way........you take Ironmike's experience with his 'Missed on this combo?' and MRL's "21st Century' experience......and your answer is......nobody really knows!

Awesome motor. Thanks for sharing. I'm still running an old school J head 340 and love it. Definitely gonna save this recipe for the future.

You said it Bro. I know some just dont know, but when I get questioned about EVERYTHING, I love proving my work. It makes us ALL better in the long run. Like I said, I put MY MONEY where my mouth is. Dont see a lot of that around here, but a lot of Mouths for sure.

Asking questions always seems to get me in trouble--even when I was a kid and yet I was always told "question everything " and "there's no such thing as a stupid question". Being held accountable as we all are in various ways shouldn't put our backs up or "raise our IRE" because you're right--it forces us and gives us a reason to rise to the occasion. I LOVE being questioned because it forces me to not give in to my lazy tendencies and use my brain. It does make us better in the long run. I'm tired of the Mouths but I'm more tired of misinformation-its way worse than NO information. J.Rob

Jim I'm not saying I disbelieve but I would love to know more-No cam specs, flow numbers, no details etc.. I would love to see the BSAC and VE and CFM because maybe just maybe there is more to be had. I mean everyone always brags about how good the 340 is for RPM and yet this one peaks @ 6200. That is not a revver in my book and almost 540 HP @ 6200 rpm would be a VE of almost 110% if I guessed at it ( 108-109%) No doubt the cylinders are getting filled and filled well but what kind of "tricks" were employed because this engine is a "trick" piece going by the number. I'd love to know more! J.Rob

p.s. I publish WAY more than most good or bad.

[QUOTE="MRL Performance, post: 197
This engine has very little friction......[/QUOTE]
How much HP/torque is the low friction 'freeing up'? I imagine it helps more and more with RPM?

You know RAMM, that's the half of it. Secrets, shhhhhhhhh.....

While 6200 isn't screaming, that cam, IMO isn't what I'd call a screamer. Really! Duration in the 240's? A screamer?!?! LOL!

You know RAMM, that's the half of it. Secrets, shhhhhhhhh.....I thought forums/message boards were for sharing-My bad.

While 6200 isn't screaming, that cam, IMO isn't what I'd call a screamer. Really! Duration in the 240's? A screamer?!?! LOL!

One of my better builds a W2 367 made 531HP @ 6750 and 499TQ @ 4900 with a 238 @ .050" hyd roller with a dual plane and it wasn't done. Duration doesn't dictate RPM nearly as much as induction.

Ok look at it backwards then. 1.56 hp/ci would mean a 408 stroker should make 636HP right? So why don't they? A good 408/416 with non-offset rocker decent heads can hang on to 6100-6300 rpm and make 570-590hp right? That is nowhere near 636HP at the same RPM. So why is it so hard to snag 600 HP with a stroker? Ya can't turn 'em harder the curve just drops off. Ya can throw all the cam you want at 'em and the peak rpm doesn't change either. You can change intakes, carbs, headers to your heart's content and still -peak power occurs at almost the exact same rpm. Why? J.Rob

One of my better builds a W2 367 made 531HP @ 6750 and 499TQ @ 4900 with a 238 @ .050" hyd roller with a dual plane and it wasn't done. Duration doesn't dictate RPM nearly as much as induction.

Ok look at it backwards then. 1.56 hp/ci would mean a 408 stroker should make 636HP right? So why don't they? A good 408/416 with non-offset rocker decent heads can hang on to 6100-6300 rpm and make 570-590hp right? That is nowhere near 636HP at the same RPM. So why is it so hard to snag 600 HP with a stroker? Ya can't turn 'em harder the curve just drops off. Ya can throw all the cam you want at 'em and the peak rpm doesn't change either. You can change intakes, carbs, headers to your heart's content and still -peak power occurs at almost the exact same rpm. Why? J.Rob
They run out of head.

The nearly square bore/stroke, high piston speed, can't fill the cylinder as fast as an over square engine? (just guessin', I'm no pro at all, but this sure is interesting!)

Nothin wrong with wanting proof. Dyno numbers are not proof. Drag strip numbers however, are.

Not meant to insult anyone. Just puttin it out there. Sorry if you don't like it.

Wait........no I'm not.

This thread is a perfect example of why I never post HP numbers on a public forum...

An OP can say: "...blah blah blah this build made more than 450 hp..."

Naysayers: "Bullshit we want dyno numbers!"

OP: "Here's your dyno, BOOM!"

Naysayers: "Bullshit! Dyno's don't mean ****! Run it on the track!"

OP: "Here's a time slip, BOOM!"

Naysayers: "Bullshit! That was in a race-prepped car! Let's see what it does in a car with full interior and street tires!"

And it goes back and forth and back and forth...

Mike - I applaud you for continuing to build motors for the Mopar community that are not only high power, high dollar builds, but also builds that someone can build in their garage (like I do). Builds people can relate to. You're contributing to the Mopar community, and big picture, that's what we all care about.

Hats off to you and your work!

Ok, so where's the time slip? It is NOT an unreasonable question.

Problem with Dynos is you can take that engine and put it on another dyno...it might make 50 hp or 50 hp less...so whose dyno is correct...LOL...and they are all calibrated and stingy...

They run out of head.
That's the main problem with the SBM guys. Any cylinderhead that cam is pretty much out of the average guys price range. Victor head, any W head above the 2 & 5.

Engine was just built. Customer has to install it.

I understand that. I am not talking specifically about THIS particular build,but rather, ANY of them. Again, this is not an unreasonable request.

Were I to get serious with MY money, I would certainly want to see time slips. Anyone who would not, I would have to say had mental problems.

I'd like a PM of those parts used. Headed down that path next. (I think!)
But yes, you are correct about the parts that the air travels in, down, around, out.
The cam has a basic rpm range assigned to it. Doesn't mean it will perform in that exact range. All the parts above, below, in and around the cam (engine) all play a big roll.

Ok look at it backwards then. 1.56 hp/ci would mean a 408 stroker should make 636HP right? So why don't they? A good 408/416 with non-offset rocker decent heads can hang on to 6100-6300 rpm and make 570-590hp right? That is nowhere near 636HP at the same RPM. So why is it so hard to snag 600 HP with a stroker? Ya can't turn 'em harder the curve just drops off. Ya can throw all the cam you want at 'em and the peak rpm doesn't change either. You can change intakes, carbs, headers to your heart's content and still -peak power occurs at almost the exact same rpm. Why? J.Rob.
Can't answer it. Other than what I wrote above and the one for certain comment made earlier about having enough cylinder head. Or lack of it.

I just don't have the experience and I probably never will.

I understand that. I am not talking specifically about THIS particular build,but rather, ANY of them. Again, this is not an unreasonable request.

Were I to get serious with MY money, I would certainly want to see time slips. Anyone who would not, I would have to say had mental problems.
Oh! OK, sorry. And yes I agree, I would love to get to the dragstrip soon myself.

Oh! OK, sorry. And yes I agree, I would love to get to the dragstrip soon myself.

Exactly. That's all I'm sayin. With a 10K or close to investment, drag strip numbers are only fair. It's not something that's unreasonable to ask. That's a lot of money.

-
Back