msd real or knockoff

-

Lowcar

Reaction score
i recently ordered a #85345 msd pro billet distributor it came today and to my surprise the whole main body is made of plastic. the box it came in looks like a real msd box but the picture clearly shows a one piece billet aluminum body.so i guess instead of a pro billet distributor i got a almost pro billet distributor. does anybody know when this change occured last msd i bought was 10 or 15 years ago for a 331 hemi it is a well built piece this one not so much i'm wondering how long a plastic distributor will last

bought it off ebay from a seller for 320 dollars like i said it is in a msd box and is new

If you do a search there was, some time back HUGE discussions across the internet on this, and posted ways to figure out yea or nay You might also venture past the MSD site, they may have some comments on such

I have never seen an MSD "Pro Billet" that was plastic. The name "Pro Billet" kinda explains it all.

i just went to msd's web site and sure enough there it is in all it's plastic glory, all the other distributor's are one piece billet bodies.

The last MSD pro-billet LA distributor I bought was aluminum. This was around 2 years ago.

Might not be applicable to this conversation, or distributor. I just bought an 8504 MSD E-curve distributor, which I believe to be based off the pro billet, as shown on the packaging. My distributor is definitely aluminum. Date on box says built in November of 2021.

Last edited:
i just went to msd's web site and sure enough there it is in all it's plastic glory, all the other distributor's are one piece billet bodies.
Crazy man. Crazy.

date on this box says 1-24-22 so i guess somewhere between 11-21 and now. i wonder why they picked the small block chrysler distributor to make a piece of **** outta

date on this box says 1-24-22 so i guess somewhere between 11-21 and now. i wonder why they picked the small block chrysler distributor to make a piece of **** outta
When I was considering the 8504, i spoke with Ray in tech at MSD, who indicated a steel shortage prevented new distributors from being made. This was about 2 weeks ago. Because of this MSD was unable to furnish one for me and couldn't comment as to when they would be able to. Ray indicated if I found one elsewhere I'd better buy it. Fortunately I found one on Amazon.
I realize I am referring to the steel in the shafts, not the aluminum in the body housing. I wonder if possibly material shortages are causing alternate manufacturing methods?

Truth be told, the plastic would probably be just fine for the body. Im pretty sure these have roller bearings on the shaft. If a bearing seizes it will eat out an aluminum housing just as it would a plastic one. At this point it may be an option to buy the chineese knockoff distributor. Hell, they are probably the ones making them for MSD in the first place.

yea i see your point but on the other hand the cars that we are rebuilding are made of metal that is why we are able to do so. i have never seen a plastic part that i was able to rebuild. msd is just another sell out to the throw away society

Any Pictures of the PLO Billet ?

go to the msd web site that black part under the cap that the shaft body is screwed to is the plastic body i saw this before buying but just assumed[i know] that it was metal i've heard of plastic intakes but not plastic distributors

From the MSD site.

85345_01~2.jpg

I circled the plastic base the OP mentioned.

Got mine through Jegs in October 2014 and has plastic body same as above pic.

I wonder if they are getting away from aluminum in the housing due to the rusted MSD syndrome. I'd be willing to bet the composite negates that long standing issue.

I’ve had mine for 4 years with that composite base no issues with any rust like the old ones you would see , possible as a heat deflector for the trigger sensor ? as they were prone on failing . Just my 2 cents !

composite base no issues with any rust like the old ones you would see , possible as a heat deflector for the trigger sensor
It’s too easy these days to default to accusing companies of changing/cheapening things purely for financial reasons, but your comments seem more a likely reason.

-
Back