Multi Tone Hate.....Who's with me?

-
I like this scheme.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1884

And this too.

DSCN0221.jpg

The big, flashy wheels and slammed suspensions just don't do anything for me, nor do the extremely busy paint schemes, but it's their money.

Those too work ok for me. They remind me of the Hemi Under glass.

The fastback now has Ansen sprints, I think they are called, but the car lookes really sharp up close.

Haney's notchback there is awesome, and I'd love to see that car in some more pics.

i agree...two tone is soo gay...foose might be a great builder, but i dont really know if i can conisder paint designs unique, since they all look the same- Two Tone! and big wheels, leave those for losers in imports and big caddillac's (rap vids)....nothing bigger than 16 inch wheels, nothing slammed and nothing two toned....if you want to modernize an old car, then why dont you just buy a new one? your killing the vintage look anyways with all the stupid trendy modifications considered cool today

If we all painted are cars the same monotones for the last 50 years why not have a change ? I think most multi-color jobs are refreshing to the boring thing we have seen over and over and over and over and over and over.
That being said. I am pro-multicolor. So I guess Im not with you on this one.

LL

Hate, is a little strong for my previous post. I think that some cars look great with the stripes and two tones. It's just that sometimes they go overboard and end ruining the lines of the car. The one that sticks in my mind is the Foose chally too. I like the old school two tones with the graphics too. I'm thinking of something like that for my 63 this winter.

I don't think it's to hard to figure out what I like. But, to each their own. Remember, you build them for yourself, not everybody else.

Jack

Good thread...

It's all about trends......Two like tones can pull a two tone, but that Challenger is FUGLY.

I do think overdrive, A/C, Modern EFI, 18" wheels and big disc brakes are here to stay........thankfully. Cars need a consistent theme throughout

zvtdodge-demon_1971slver (2).jpg

I dont mind them either way. I got two tone on my Duster and love it. Everyine says its Foose-ish but ya know I had this idea long before Foose was putting his out. I just didnt get it done in time. I do know when people ask me " Is that Foose inspired" I just look at them and say " Foose who?" cuz I dont have cable tv and didnt know who he was until a few years ago.

-RPM

That Ralley hood (ala Challenger) really looks good on there

Wow, being abody man/painter for over 20 years myself. Well, I like all paint jobs, from stock to mild wild custom as well.
It's called thinking out of the box. Too each his or her own. Starting a thread on it though, must have been bored.
I tried to get a job working w/Foose a while ago, not hiring at the time though.
I'll keep doing body and paint, from stock to custom as long as customers keep coming back to me till the day I am done/dead.
The chally that he did, I'd drive the tires off it!

Mark

Hate, is a little strong for my previous post. I think that some cars look great with the stripes and two tones. It's just that sometimes they go overboard and end ruining the lines of the car. The one that sticks in my mind is the Foose chally too. I like the old school two tones with the graphics too. I'm thinking of something like that for my 63 this winter.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe I didn't give this thread the best title, or one that represented exactly what I mean. I guess there is a difference between a lot of the two or multi-tonal paint jobs. You have the more traditional drag style and classis styles and then there are these modernist, dub style jobs, which don't flatter these cars. Just because Rolls-Royce paints their cars two or 3 colors doesn't mean all cars have to be that way to be classy.

I'm also not totally against the pro-touring style, it can be done well, if you don't try and turn the car into something it isn't. Here's a job well done....

ban3ut2_535.jpg

I dunno, maybe I'm wierd because I like old cars to look like old cars. I've got no problem with handling, performance or comfort upgrades, but why make a Road Runnner look like a Roush Mustang? It's like painting those oversize, blingy, oh-so trendy sunglasses that everyone has to have now days onto the Mona Lisa.........

Wow, being abody man/painter for over 20 years myself. Well, I like all paint jobs, from stock to mild wild custom as well.
It's called thinking out of the box. Too each his or her own. Starting a thread on it though, must have been bored.
I tried to get a job working w/Foose a while ago, not hiring at the time though.
I'll keep doing body and paint, from stock to custom as long as customers keep coming back to me till the day I am done/dead.
The chally that he did, I'd drive the tires off it!

Mark

But it's not "thinking outside the box" anymore, it's "keeping up with the Joneses" or "keeping up with the Fooses" or whomever it may be. This style has become "the box". To each his own, I would agree....I'm not condeming anyone for it, god knows not everyone has loved my cars over the years..... I just wanted to know where others stood on the issue.

Starting a thread on it because I'm bored....no, not really. It was just one of those thoughts that pass thru your head while looking at a magazine, "I can't stand that style, I know I can't be the only one...maybe I should make a thread to discuss it."

Since these forums are for discussion, I thought this might be a good place to discuss it. Is it not advisable to rock the boat in the interest of learning about others likes and dislikes?

Two tones can make a car look considerably different. When I painted the top of my Newport it actually made the car look shorter and sharper. I have always liked two tones, because they aren't just the same boring thing, that being said Tara's Dart will be one color but with a tail strip. My Aspen on the other hand will be green and flat black.

11.jpg

12.jpg

DCP_3843.jpg

DSC01078.JPGr.jpg

just enjoy the more tastfullydone ones that try to keep the old school with the new

P1010004-2.jpg

I think that this thread has been GREAT!! I know that there are a lot of people that may not like "my vision" for my car just the same as I may look at something and think I would have gone a different route. But I can tell you that all the cars ive seen (starting with my early addiction to Hot Rod Mag back in the late 70's) have helped me be able to find what I do like. Take a little from here, a little from there. One of the things that I love most about this site is the fact that the majority of the people that are here do most of the work on their builds themselves. Anyone with enough money could go and have a car restored or built and most likely would end up with someone elses "ideas" about whats right. When Im out and hear someone start talking about how they had this guy do this or that guy do that I usually just walk away. Id rather talk to the guy with the car being held together with duct tape that is doing the work himself. Then I can appreciate their car regardless of paint or anything else.

Chip Foose and his ilk absolutely RUIN cars. When was the last time you saw someone show up at the drags or a street race with one of these overdone monstrosities? Two-tone paint definitely does not make you go faster.

Big wheels are the worst. Absolutely an import-derived 'trend'. Most of the big wheels I see have no dish in them, the inners are typically flush with the outer rim which is because they were originally intended for FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS. All those pseudo strengthening bolts, too many spokes, blacked out inner sections... blech. And, lo-pro tires look RIDICULOUS on muscle cars. I look at cars online and think to myself, if I bought that car with those giant rims, first thing I'd do is shitcan those things and get a set of Cragars...

All muscle cars should be radio DELETE. The only music should come from a well-tuned power plant and the only notes that should be discernible are that of a rumbling exhaust.

And lastly, muscle cars should have an all-business interior - the less gee-gaws, the better. Vinyl bench or buckets, minimal gauges, plain door panels... they're not supposed to be comfortable. If you want creature comforts, get an RV.

The street rodification of muscle cars will probably stick a round, but hopefully the hardcore enthusiast would never dream of defiling the original integrity of a factory hot rod.

Harumph!

All muscle cars should be radio DELETE. The only music should come from a well-tuned power plant and the only notes that should be discernible are that of a rumbling exhaust.

And lastly, muscle cars should have an all-business interior - the less gee-gaws, the better. Vinyl bench or buckets, minimal gauges, plain door panels... they're not supposed to be comfortable. If you want creature comforts, get an RV.

I'm with you on that. Got the radio,heater delete. I even gutted my ash tray. No horns or front sway bar. I have hood pins so I took off the factory hood latch and some other things. I like the bare boons look.

026.jpg

I'm into year 8 of the sub-lime paint job on my 68 Barracuda. I figure in another 3 years or so it will be ready for another paint job and I plan to go two tone.

A medium to dark anthricite grey metallic on the top of the hood, roof, trunk and up to the feature line along the bottom. The sides will be a candy tangerine orange metallic.

For wheels I like the more classic look and i have a sense of proportion that as long as the side wall of the tire to the rim diameter look right I don't really car about the diameter of the rim.

-
Back