Multi Tone Hate.....Who's with me?

-
The comment about leaving a factory hot rod the way it was when it left the factory strikes me as amusing. I grew up in the muscle car era and worked in a service station all through high school and college when they were new. Steel wheels and dog dish hub caps were delivered on a lot of these cars because people didn't want to pay for something they planned to toss any way. Young single guys preferred bench seats to buckets so your girl could sit up close.

The first thing that happened to a huge precentagre of these cars was to put Cragers, Keystones, Torque Thrusts or what ever wheel tickled your fancy and a set of fat tires on the back. The back end got jacked up, open element air cleaners were added and headers were installed along with glass paks or "turbo" mufflers. Lots of times these changes were made by the dealer before the car ever left the lot. Back then it was much easier for the car owner to make machanical changes than it was to change the appearance so you seldom saw custom stripes and paint jobs but it did happen and the style was huge flake metallics and lace.

The point i am trying to make is these cars were seldom left stock after they rolled off the assembly floor so why should they be stock now. Even today new cars are seldom left stock when they are purchased by enthusiasts.

Personally, I drive an old car because I like the feeling of driving something different and no matter how many two tone paint jobs you see it will still be an extremely unique ride. I also like my cars to perform and have creature comforts so to that end I will make upgrades to bring the car up to todays standards as my budget allows. If I couldn't makes these changes I wouldn't own the car and would be driving a late model performance car.

I guess the good thing about "modernizing rather than letting them rot in the fields" is that in 10 years when you all have realized the error in you ways, you will have a solid foundation for proper restorations ... LOL!
I try not to do anything that I can't undo.
Do love the Coronet ! wheels suit it too. I'd drive it :)

I've made a couple of jabs about "proper restorations" and "factory correctness" but I'll be the first to admit I've never owned a truely correct Mopar and probably never will. Not enough $$$ for the ones I want anyway. My cars have all had the typical aftermarket hop ups, paint colors that they were not born with, etc.. I've done what I think looks good to me and encourage others to do what they want with their own cars. It's hard so say what you like other than you know it when you see it, and everyboy sees it differently. My eyes like factory correct, or old school modifications ... but that probably is a reflection of my age and I'm sure that most people's tastes likely reflect what cars looked like during their high school years. I've meant no disrespect for those who have done multi-tone paint jobs becasue obviously you have taken pride in your rides. Peace out!

I have to say different strokes for different fokes. I like some of the new two tone paint, but also look at some cars and say what were you thinking? What some of the new designers are doing is great but I see some of the stuff they are doing and think that if that was my car I would turn around and walk away. The big wheels with thin rubber is something that I'm not into.

Now I own a 1965 Valiant that is 2 tone paint from the factory, Burgandy body with the roof painted black. It works for the car I think, and I will put it back to that when the body work is done. And yes it is factory I have the sales/build sheet when it was ordered. I have also seen the same paint but white roof Valiant.

Though a car guy is a car guy and you have to respect that and the vehical even if it is not something you are into. The owner may have just writen a blank check and picked the car up in 2 months, but the guys building it are car guys. So look at the vehical for the work that was done and the craftman ship.

I like the 70 Coronet!!!

Oddly enough, even though I've always built my cars more to the "factory" kind of configuration, NEITHER of my A bodies will be, but neither are radical departures. Both will have aftermarket wheels (in the vintage vein). One has stock paint, but slight mods inside and out, the other will be (mostly) stock color, with a decidedly vintage touch but stock interior.

go figure

I guess you hate my car then

IMG_1767.jpg

I did mine because I wanted it silver but my dart was silver and I also wanted it the candy color but it shows too much dust so I thought the silver on top and candy color on bottom would give me what I wanted. Works good so far.

Finally, got around to reading all this.....

IMO, It's your piece of Mopar "ART" to create and do what you wan't to it. It's your $$$, your time, it's your Call....

And not to steal the thread..., But, I'm curious on interior opinion(s)???

Also, Since I have one of the louder Paint Jobs..... :bootysha:
Eric_S68

Happy Moparing !!!

cold85, Nice clean, smooth look. I love it. Follows the body lines beautifully!!

eric S68, ofcourse yours looks awesome, its about the same as what Im doing. Well done!!!

I dont really care for the big wheels. but as far as paint, i like them both. one color or two, if it looks good, it looks good. this is one of my favorites.

cuda2Small copy.jpg

Nice to see that "MAC Tools" sign. toolmanmike

I like two-tone paint on cars that have the body lines that lend themselves to it. 55 Chevys for example look great with two-tone paint and the chrome trim helps to accent the body lines. Some F bodies of the late 70`s had factory two- tone paint jobs, some executed well and some not so well. I`m a guy who likes the old school look but I say, if it`s your dollar (and you`re not hurting anyone) do what you damn well please.............as long as you`re not doing it to a Superbird, Hemi Cuda, T/A Challenger, AAR Cuda.....well, you get the idea.

I guess you hate my car then

IMG_1767.jpg

No, not really, it at least it follows the body lines. That's more of a drag style anyhow; if it had some lettering on the side, maybe gold leaf, it'd be totally bitchin'! That's a sweet car.

Like I said before, I'm not against any and every car that's more than one color, hell, my daily driver has a checkerboard pattern on it. I dunno I can't really explain it better than I did with the p'chop on the California Demon. It's a style, not just the number of colors...and it isn't limited to just pro-touring.

BTW, I really like that '70 'Bee, not really into the air-dam bit, the rear wheels could be smaller, and the chrome around the windows needs to come back, but it's sweet otherwise. Got any interior pics?

I like two-tone paint on cars that have the body lines that lend themselves to it. 55 Chevys for example look great with two-tone paint and the chrome trim helps to accent the body lines. Some F bodies of the late 70`s had factory two- tone paint jobs, some executed well and some not so well. I`m a guy who likes the old school look but I say, if it`s your dollar (and you`re not hurting anyone) do what you damn well please.............as long as you`re not doing it to a Superbird, Hemi Cuda, T/A Challenger, AAR Cuda.....well, you get the idea.

Exactly! Mopar on!

well i like the 2 tone rat look . my car is going to have flat black body and the candy red with green metal flake on the roof. 2 tone is not a bad thing if we all keep the car oe colors then they would be rust . .

i hate big rims thow too. i think any thing over 17 is to much . hell i run on 13's and dont plan on changing them .

-
Back