MuuMuu101's 68 Dart, A Learning Process...

-
Due to the wheels, the GT trim is starting to grow on me. I really don't know why, but not too long ago I wanted to throw it all out. Now I wish I kind of had the driver's door trim and all the trim was in better condition.

The GT trim and the polished lip on the wheels compliment each other. The trim breaks up the car and visually makes the car look lower and longer. I say keep it, and just keep one eye open for the missing piece.

The GT trim and the polished lip on the wheels compliment each other. The trim breaks up the car and visually makes the car look lower and longer. I say keep it, and just keep one eye open for the missing piece.

That's the plan. With the trim the car just looks like it's ready to take car of business. I talked to a Resto company at Spring Fling and he referred me to a junkyard in Oregon that might have that kind of stuff.

So, if you guys haven't figured it out yet, my Dart's at Hotchkis Sport Suspension. We ordered some seats and a cage. The seats arrived and I've been told they look fantastic (only seats I could find in my size). I also found the missing door trim for my Dart in a junkyard in Oregon. I paid quite a bit for it, but now the set is complete. O, and apparently the engine I purchased is supposed to be dropped off this week. :happy1:

Attachments

• IMG_2953-2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 617
  • Engine!.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 589
Is that the procharged magnum out of the green Hotchkiss valiant that the redline gauge guy owns?

Can't wait to see some progress pics!

Dam the car has an awesome stance. Looks like you got it dialled in perfectly. Take lots of pics while it's at Hotchkiss, love to see progress pics.

Is that the procharged magnum out of the green Hotchkiss valiant that the redline gauge guy owns?

Can't wait to see some progress pics!

I believe it's an LA engine, but yes it is. It was out of a Canadian cop car. The car has been on hold there awaiting parts. So far nothing exciting has been going on.

So, I stopped by Hotchkis to drop off my door trim. They're getting ready to start on the car but while I was there I went to check out my engine, seats, and some of the cars they had there. Sitting in my new seats is a dream. They're so comfortable and fit me like a glove. I highly recommend them for bigger guys like myself. Also, a Mopart's member had his Satellite there getting some suspension work sorted out. And here are some pictures...

Attachments

• 360 Paxton.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 579
  • At Hotchkis 2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 560
  • Dart with JF_Moparts Satellite.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 547
  • Satellite.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 574
  • At Hotchkis.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 567
Stopped by the car today. They made seat brackets to mount my seats to the original tracks so now I have full forward/back and tilt adjustments. They also got the roll hoop mocked up in place. I'm really liking where this is going. :D

Also, they made some modifications to the roll hoop mounting points. Instead of welding the sheet metal to the ground like the Jegs kit provided. The builder decided to box up the mounting points. He's going to integrate the mount to the subframe connectors so that if I ever do roll over, the loads don't go straight through the sheet metal floor. This car will also be getting a swing-out/removable bar as it's a 6-point cage.

Attachments

• Interior Mock Up 3.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 510
  • Interior Mock Up 2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 490
  • Interior Mock Up 1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 516
Hmmm...those roll bar mounting brackets look awfully familiar, everything looking good.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 496
  • 017.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 504
So, another small update. The cage is nearly done and was just sent out to be powder coated. They're hoping to do an engine mock up sometime next week. Also, there's a bunch of boxes with what's supposed to be my transmission. :D

Attachments

• T56 in Boxes.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 432
Cool Beans..... Did you shop at (The Transmission House Or Harrell's Trans)... IF Mike over at Hawk is doing the Coating? Tell him I said to do yours for free.lol..:)

Cool Beans..... Did you shop at (The Transmission House Or Harrell's Trans)... IF Mike over at Hawk is doing the Coating? Tell him I said to do yours for free.lol..:)

The shop (Hotchkis) is arranging it all so I really have no idea who they're outsourcing it to. But thank you for the generosity. Will you be at Fall Fling? I should definitely be there and I'm pretty sure the Dart will be good to go by then.

No... No Spring/fall Fling's for me lately... I'm in good shape....sometimes I do miss going and hanging out...
Your project is coming along really nicely... Keep up the good working plan !!! :)

Well, you're close by so maybe I could bring it out to an event or something for you to see it.

I went autocrossing this weekend with my DD (Scion tC) to get some more experience before the Dart comes back.

Cool....So Back on track.... How are thing going with the car? Whats next ??

I talked with them on Friday. Cage took a little longer than expected getting powder coated but finally came back. I believe the mechanic is fitting it in now. The shop is having a Cars and Coffee next Saturday so I'm going to stop by and we're going to mock up the side tubes. I'm going to tell them what I want for the small bits and pieces (power steering box, radiator, intake, etc.) and hopefully they can go full speed and start putting the car together. I hope it will be done mid-October at the latest.

Well, I went to Hotchkis's Cars and Coffee this weekend and saw the car. Almost nothing was done since the cage got back from being powder-coating. The mechanic was straight with me and told me it's because the shop manager has been taking in a lot of small, 1 week projects which have been preoccupying the mechanic. He told the shop manager that my car and the Porsche race car, both of which have been in the shop for about the same amount of time, need to be finished and out asap. The Porsche has a race coming up in 2 weeks so I think all of that time will be devoted for that, but afterwards I believe it should be shifted more towards my Dart. We'll see, I'm not too worried about it as I'm a patient guy, but I'll check up on them soon.

Attachments

• 20150829_105328 (2).jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 20150829_101038 (2).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 302
  • 11952957_10153402827790073_4862462273068779985_o.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 275
So, Hotchkis made some progress on the Dart. It seems the roll cage is almost done. It just needs me to sit in it to get the side impact members mocked up. So, I'll probably do that before the end of the week. At the same time, I'll be taking my engine to IMM to get looked over. I'm still not certain yet, but I may be removing the supercharger and either just building a 360 or 408.

I also purchased some goodies. I was able to locate a pair of use MP offset shackles. That will help with my rear wheel rub as I can take off the 5mm spacer that's currently their. I also found another pair of wheels that I liked that are 18 x 9.5" and what I believe to be the perfect offset to fit a 275/35/18 tire all the way around without rubbing and at a point where I could actually rotate them. If I find a buyer for my current wheel setup, I might just pounce on it.

Attachments

• Roll Cage.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Grant Steering Wheel.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 232
-
Back