My HDK install thread.

-
got you covered in your other post....from the picture you are right on the money.

never hesitate to call....text...e-mail....whatever works for you.

Had to get this back to the top....I link it with my install tips.

my vote for one of the best install threads out there..... gotta keep it to the top for easy access

got the engine fully dressed and ready to go back in. just have to get the trans cleaned up so i can install it with the engine.

image_zpsw8ruzkzq.jpg

image_zpsbrjami9c.jpg

image_zps8v7d2dku.jpg

then i started installing some of the other pieces i got back from powder coat. here is my brake prop. valve mount installed on the driver side inner sub frame connector

image_zpsu7gt2ln7.jpg

image_zpscqrwflue.jpg

then i got my drive shaft loop back in. notice how it bolts to both frame connectors and has holes for the inner seat bracket bolts. ties the frame, floor and seats all together.

image_zpsoblusniu.jpg
hemiDenny sent this thread to me as a guide for installing the front suspension and K member he is building for my 66 Cuda. Awesome thread and i thank you for the great job putting this together! I have a question for you on the brake setup you have. I am planning to put the Willwood on all 4 corners, can you tell me what proportion valve and master cylinder works best with that setup? I am currently set up with disc on the front drum on the rear, i do have a valve on the system and a dual reservoir master. I see you have a nice looking bracket for the proportioning valve, looks great. i appreciate any help. Your car is awesome. That undercoating looks amazing as well, did you have to strip the underside of the car? Thanks for the great work!
Ed

hemiDenny sent this thread to me as a guide for installing the front suspension and K member he is building for my 66 Cuda. Awesome thread and i thank you for the great job putting this together! I have a question for you on the brake setup you have. I am planning to put the Willwood on all 4 corners, can you tell me what proportion valve and master cylinder works best with that setup? I am currently set up with disc on the front drum on the rear, i do have a valve on the system and a dual reservoir master. I see you have a nice looking bracket for the proportioning valve, looks great. i appreciate any help. Your car is awesome. That undercoating looks amazing as well, did you have to strip the underside of the car? Thanks for the great work!
Ed
Ok I used a master cylinder spec'd for a late 80's dodge Dakota. 15/16" bore I believe. I then installed an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake line. I did strip the underside of my car by hand, on my back with a wire wheel,putty knife and enough beer to kill a race horse lol.

I got my set up from Denny a couple of weeks ago. I have it painted and ready to install in my 69 Dart drag car. Monday I was able to buy a rolling jack for my 4 post lift and it should make the install a lot easier. Looking forward to a better steering car with hopefully more weight transfer to the rear. Like Young Gun the undercoating removal before I had the lift wasn't much fun laying on my back using a heat gun, scrapers, wire brushes and wire wheels. Then cleaning all the remnants with solvent and lots of rags.

I got my set up from Denny a couple of weeks ago. I have it painted and ready to install in my 69 Dart drag car. Monday I was able to buy a rolling jack for my 4 post lift and it should make the install a lot easier. Looking forward to a better steering car with hopefully more weight transfer to the rear. Like Young Gun the undercoating removal before I had the lift wasn't much fun laying on my back using a heat gun, scrapers, wire brushes and wire wheels. Then cleaning all the remnants with solvent and lots of rags.
Send me some picks of that new rolling jack and also of the car. I would love to see what you are working on. Thanks
Ed

Good to see you're making the upgrade Jeff! Handling and braking on mine is MUCH better than it was. Steering is nice but still a little bit tough at slow speeds. I think that if I got rid of the spool (and had a big steering wheel too) it would be even better. My buddy noticed the difference in the increased difficulty of steering with his stock suspension changing from sure grip to spool. But it's completely tolerable to me. What spring rate are you planning on running and what length spring? I ended up with the 12" spring and 350 lb spring rate but it really needs a 300 lb for what I do IMO. The double adjustable shocks are really nice too. The one thing I don't like about the 12" spring is that the coilover WILL NOT go in without compressing the spring or separating the ball joints. That's the one caveat that bugs me. Also watch for the angularity of the bump stops to the control arms. If the arms hit the bump stops at an angle, the arm will cut right through the rubber to the metal plate it's molded over and will start cutting into the control arm. Mine did this and the arms are gouged up on both sides now and I may need to weld them up to make sure they are structurally sound again. I'm going to redesign the bump stop so that the control arm rests at a true 90 degree angle to the bump stop. Those bump stops aren't made for any impact except directly to the top of it. Any angularity will shred it. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your progress!

Got some more toys today! Got DD403 double adjustable 10" double adjustable coil over shocks. Got 10HT500 springs. 500lb 2.5 ID 10" springs.

image_zpssllltgww.jpg
younggun, your thread has been a big help to me during my HDK install, thank you. I'm at the point of spring selection now. I was wondering how you've liked the 500# springs now that you've had it on the road. How is the ride/handling?

younggun, your thread has been a big help to me during my HDK install, thank you. I'm at the point of spring selection now. I was wondering how you've liked the 500# springs now that you've had it on the road. How is the ride/handling?

My springs are very stiff! If you want corner carving then they are great but if your wanting a drag race set up then much softer would be better. I'm going to be going to 350 pound springs this season

350 lbs. with aluminum engine components is more like it. I don't think I would even
want 400 pounders unless you were using an all iron big-block. JMHO

ok guys, sorry for the delay but here is the steering shaft istall.

my steering column has been converted to 3/4" DD shaft on the end for quite some time now so there was no need for any machine work. I installed a flaming river steering universal joint from the column to a short chunk of stainless double D shaft. I then installed another universal joint from the steering rack to the double D shaft. the steering rack is 9/16x26 spline.

When ever your using DD steering shaft and universal joints it is critical to drill small indents into the steering shaft so that the set screws have a place to land.

IF YOU SKIP THIS STEP YOUR CAR WILL EXPLODE AND BE CONSUMED WITH FIRE.

IMG_2293_zpszljtdq0q.jpg

IMG_2304_zpsn32zb1uw.jpg
how much was the steering shaft and u joints? is there a cheaper option than through denny? he has a shaft and u joints but it's $225

Summit /Atech is where I get them too....I will supply the part numbers and /or specs.

You could always check e bay......occasionally, I see components on there at half the price..

or eliminate the vibration dampener (most expensive piece) and just use a u -joint.

Summit /Atech is where I get them too....I will supply the part numbers and /or specs.

You could always check e bay......occasionally, I see components on there at half the price..

or eliminate the vibration dampener (most expensive piece) and just use a u -joint.

Hey buddy! It's been over a year since we spoke last! I have put a couple thousand miles on the car since the install. All of which where hard tire melting miles. The front suspension has held up awesome! I still am amazed at home much better the car feels every time I drive it. The added caster makes the car so much more stable at high speeds. At the drag strip I could pour a cup of tea at 125mph! The tunability of the entire suspension is amazing also. I have the double adjustable front coil overs and with the flick of a switch I can tighten up the shocks and drive to the track then bend down and turn the knobs and let the front end loose. It's still been the best upgrade I've done. Thanks again

Perfect......and thank you for your input.

I'm very lucky to be able to work with you and others on FABO.....always something new and exciting to do. This week, I'm heading to Cleveland to help a builder with a B-body / Gen III Hemi build.....a piece of cake compared to our A bodies.

Man o man...I love hot roddin' (my wife STILL thinks I'm working)

Denny is great to work with and almost always answers when you call or he'll get back to you very quickly. I really enjoyed just shooting the bull and bouncing ideas off of him. All around great guy and there to help. And the best thing of all, my car actually feels safe to drive on the streets now after installing his kit. I can shut the car down quick and it stops straight as an arrow. It wasn't at all like that with the factory setup.

Denny is great to work with and almost always answers when you call or he'll get back to you very quickly. I really enjoyed just shooting the bull and bouncing ideas off of him. All around great guy and there to help. And the best thing of all, my car actually feels safe to drive on the streets now after installing his kit. I can shut the car down quick and it stops straight as an arrow. It wasn't at all like that with the factory setup.

Hahaha I know how that feels! EVen with my upgraded stock suspension if it started getting out of shape even the slightest bit it was a white knuckle experience. Now I can actually stay in the throttle and drive out of it.

I gotta say....you two are at the top of the "right stuff test driver" list.

thanks guys....maybe this summer I can get up to speed with both of you.

i can appreciate a guy that will stay in touch with his customers. Ive emailed denny several times in the last couple weeks and he almost always responds by the end of day or first thing the next day.

i can appreciate a guy that will stay in touch with his customers. Ive emailed denny several times in the last couple weeks and he almost always responds by the end of day or first thing the next day.

You won't find a guy that stands behind his product more then Denny! Proud to purchase from him and support his dream! He's like us, loves the hobby! Always looking to make his rides better. He just has more knowledge, talent and ambition then some. He's living the dream and just thankful he's shared his skill set with Us!

-
Back