My home inspection of Speedmaster heads

-
Thanks for the pic
Did it come with the plastic sleeve to protect the seal from the valve keeper grooves?

I think that if it takes more than a tap, tap, tapie to install. there probably not right for inside diameter to outside diameter of guide.

I just used umbrella seals they fit nice over the guides and lots of clearance inside the spring. They were some I had laying around from years gone by and didn’t have any numbers on the bag. I think they came in a Ford kit cause some of them have 11/32 stems. Kim

Thanks for the pic
Did it come with the plastic sleeve to protect the seal from the valve keeper grooves?

Nope, just a comp bag with 16 seals in it.

I think that if it takes more than a tap, tap, tapie to install. there probably not right for inside diameter to outside diameter of guide.

Agreed. Unfortunately, the old seals have that rubber lining the ID, so I can't get a good measurement on them. I had to go with stem size and guide OD when I picked them out.

I guess mine were those red ones as well..
Screenshot_20200404-155949.png

Not to quote anyone above, I sure wouldn't use old rubber umbrellas from days gone by.

Some updated info for any interested parties. The jet shop I used to work at has a material analysis gun, I replaced the springs/retainers in my heads, so they're sitting around and I asked my brother to bring a spring and retainer into work and scan them for me.

Gun has a bunch of materials stored, but will give the breakdown for things not in it's database. Retainers came back as 4140, all good. The spring....well, I need him to recheck it, as the breakdown seemed to indicate 01 tool steel. Not something that's used for springs in my experience, but neither is a material that would normally be checked there, so neither was stored in the gun and it gave the breakdown instead.

Last edited:
Some updated info for any interested parties. The jet shop I used to work at has a material analysis gun, I replaced the springs/retainers in my heads, so they're sitting around and I asked my brother to bring a spring and retainer into work and scan them for me.

Gun has a bunch of materials stored, but will give the breakdown for things not in it's database. Retainers came back as 4140, all good. The spring....well, I need him to recheck it, as the breakdown seemed to indicate 01 tool steel. Not something that's used for springs in my experience, but neither is a material that would normally be check there, so neither was stored in the gun and it gave the breakdown instead.
Oh they use tool steel for springs all the time. There are grade differences.

Spring steel and "tool" steel are simply general descriptions of alloy families that are fairly close to each other. They are heat treatable alloy steels that can be configured to create many different products. Makes for good marketing verbiage but doesn't guarantee performance.

The big thing with Isky tool rooms is the endurance testing they go through
Ran a set for 7 years on a 7500 rpm every lap motor( roller cam) and they still tested good.
Good springs are a GOOD investment

The big thing with Isky tool rooms is the endurance testing they go through
Ran a set for 7 years on a 7500 rpm every lap motor( roller cam) and they still tested good.
Good springs are a GOOD investment
Agree. Record setters arent using your average hot rod parts. You can spend 2k on isky valve train fairly quick. Quality, reputation and history.
Everything has its place.

Agree. Record setters arent using your average hot rod parts. You can spend 2k on isky valve train fairly quick. Quality, reputation and history.
Everything has its place.

yep.
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but have learned via the school of hard knocks that using quality parts keeps the hood shut a lot.

yep.
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but have learned via the school of hard knocks that using quality parts keeps the hood shut a lot.
Since it's a head thread, we can talk valve train parts as they 'could be' upgrades or alternatives... I bought a set of engine pro "nitro black" exhaust valves to replace the ferrea 5000s I was running.. what do you think about those? I hear they hold their shape better under extremes..lol

Since it's a head thread, we can talk valve train parts as they 'could be' upgrades or alternatives... I bought a set of engine pro "nitro black" exhaust valves to replace the ferrea 5000s I was running.. what do you think about those? I hear they hold their shape better under extremes..lol

no clue.... lol
But Ferrea makes really nice stuff. Made in Argentina

Me neither. I'm not an expert in anything as a matter of fact....and If I ever meet someone that says they are.. I walking the other direction. Lol

Classic definition of "Expert": Anyone with a briefcase more than 30 miles from home or office.

no clue.... lol
But Ferrea makes really nice stuff. Made in Argentina
I hear anything less than the 6000 isnt as good 'strength wise ' as a elgin 21-4n pro stock valve. I think the Frerrea 5000 has a better finish than a budget pro stock, but I have also spun them in a press and polished them ...seeing a small gain afterward on the flowbench, just surface finish. Which is pretty much worthless outside of a dyno test magazine rag because as soon as you put miles on it...its not smooth anymore.

My speedmaster springs have lost about 600 rpm before float. But I have a solid cam and shift at about 7000 rpm. That's about where they float now. Not saying springs are bad, just not for my combo.

My speedmaster springs have lost about 600 rpm before float. But I have a solid cam and shift at about 7000 rpm. That's about where they float now. Not saying springs are bad, just not for my combo.
So that used to float at 7600?

-
Back