my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
Maybe a silly question,but will a synthetic oil change fit into the picture? Might be a few more h.p there...
Not a silly question, however, I'll be running 10w-30 with ZDDP MAXX additive to protect the flat tappet cam.

Yeah are you burnin rubber yet?

LOL... ok guyz! Last week I dropped the tranny off as I mentioned, nothing since then. Our dragstrip don't open till the middle of April, and they are predicting snow here for Thursday.

Between work, house projects, etc. etc. I'm swamped. However, progression is being made, just slowly. My enthusiasm is just as high, and I'm as "itch'n" as ever, but I need two of me it seems... LOL

Subscribed....I'm getting ready to do something similar to a 318 for my Dart. Thanks for giving me some great ideas on limited funds.

Subscribed....I'm getting ready to do something similar to a 318 for my Dart. Thanks for giving me some great ideas on limited funds.

Great ideas that can be used on virtually any engine...

Got a picture update for us?
Heads back on yet?
Pics of the car?

How about just a picture of the car........ :)
Original paint B5 blue. I tore the vinyl roof off.

Attachments

• DSCN0478[1].jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 940
Leaving the hubcaps on? What a sleeper...

haven't thought too much about it yet. It's just the way I bought it. It surprised me in a couple of ways, though.
- '74 small bolt pattern, unusual.
- Has the shock mount rear bumper in the back, but not the front. Never seen that before, but it's all factory.

haven't thought too much about it yet. It's just the way I bought it. It surprised me in a couple of ways, though.
- '74 small bolt pattern, unusual.
- Has the shock mount rear bumper in the back, but not the front. Never seen that before, but it's all factory.

Yeah they used the 4" pattern all the way to 76.

I know this thread is about the 318, but as mentioned in a few post above, I had the tranny refreshed a bit.

Attachments

• DSCN0488[1].jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 790
Im thinking lighten it up, rear gears and tuning on the aforementioned budget. this is to achieve target ET. (Low budget racing)

Im thinking lighten it up, rear gears and tuning on the aforementioned budget. this is to achieve target ET. (Low budget racing)
gears and loosing weight would help, but I'm hoping to hit the target off of the 318 project alone...... :D

gears and loosing weight would help, but I'm hoping to hit the target off of the 318 project alone...... :D

I don't know if this will help but I ran a 318 in my Dart with 3:91 gears and it was pretty quick. It had a Summit Racing cam and a 4 speed. People used to think it was a 340, but it was just cam, stock heads and Holley 4 barrel. I never 1/4 mile raced it so I don't have an E.T. it was purely a street driver.I really think the gears had something to do with it though :)

Time for a little spray can bed liner top!
Hmmmm........ never thought of that, but you have me thinking...... Maybe time for a new thread for recommendations and ideas..... Ok, back to the 318 :D

I like the trans freshening,after all an original 340 car tested back in the day would have had new everthing.Fair thing to do.

I'm still deciding what power plant to put in my '68 vert. Really enjoying this thread! Thanks!

Hmmmm........ never thought of that, but you have me thinking...... Maybe time for a new thread for recommendations and ideas..... Ok, back to the 318 :D

The bed liner looked pretty good on this one...

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

This is going to be a good thread, I already know about HS budget and how to get a 318 down the road cheap, done it to my HS car in the mid 80's.
I was lucky and had a drag strip 3 miles from my house so I have time slips to compare when you are done.

Keep up the good work.

Where in WV ?

-
Back