My oil filter does not look good.

-
I hope not too. Didn't take long for the gassy oil to destoy this chevy. Cranks toast, couple rods egged out, all pistons severely scuffed,etc. Unfortunately you're better off finding the problem now. Good luck friend

Did you center the thrust bearing when you torqued the crank? It could be thrust bearing material.

Did you center the thrust bearing when you torqued the crank? It could be thrust bearing material.

This could very well be the culprit. I know for a fact all clearances were perfect on the mains and rods. The oil did not have fuel in it that I noticed. After I saw this I kept all the oil that came out of the engine and I kept the oil filter also. I'll go back this week and clean up all the material that came out of the filter to look at it better. I may start taking things off the engine but I likely wolnt start pulling it apart until this weekend.

This could very well be the culprit. I know for a fact all clearances were perfect on the mains and rods. The oil did not have fuel in it that I noticed. After I saw this I kept all the oil that came out of the engine and I kept the oil filter also. I'll go back this week and clean up all the material that came out of the filter to look at it better. I may start taking things off the engine but I likely wolnt start pulling it apart until this weekend.
stick or automatic?

Sad and a pain in the wallet to have this happen. I think many of us have been there. Good job stopping, cutting open the filter and regrouping.

Once this happens, everything will need to be taken apart, cleaned inspected and passed/rebuilt or replaced, even the heads. I had an engine built several decades ago that had dirt and debris in the oil passages that were supposed to have been scrubbed, but had not been. The guy who built it nicked the crank with the rods when he threw it together, and it gouged the rod bearings as well.

I was just a kid at the time, and ended up suing the guy in small claims court and won. It was a shallow victory. Best of luck.

Sad and a pain in the wallet to have this happen. I think many of us have been there. Good job stopping, cutting open the filter and regrouping.

Once this happens, everything will need to be taken apart, cleaned inspected and passed/rebuilt or replaced, even the heads. I had an engine built several decades ago that had dirt and debris in the oil passages that were supposed to have been scrubbed, but had not been. The guy who built it nicked the crank with the rods when he threw it together, and it gouged the rod bearings as well.

I was just a kid at the time, and ended up suing the guy in small claims court and won. It was a shallow victory. Best of luck.

It's just a motor. Plus I really can not sue myself. Now if someone wrecked into my car and it was totaled? Then I would be singing a different tune and I would be devastated. Truth is that I need to go through the transmission so this will just be an excuse for some downtime.

It's just money. :)

Doogievig,

Sorry to see the problems that You are having. I just got mine running a few weeks ago and will change oil here soon and cut the filter open too. I have Comp Cam break in oil in mine. I did have to replace my brass gear and intermediate shaft during my rebuild. That engine as purchased has a chewed cam and lifters that sent mat'l through the mains/rod/cam bearings. None of the debris in the pan looked golden like yours. Hopefully it is the gear. Maybe you can pull the pan and do a spot check on your rod/main brgs and see. Good Luck. Maybe I can come and lend a hand. I was very nervous breaking in my engine, and have yet to sample the oil. I have only been around the block twice to look for and fix leaks and shake down this bad boy a little at a time before I hit the highway with it.

Good Luck,
Marion

Doogievig,

Sorry to see the problems that You are having. I just got mine running a few weeks ago and will change oil here soon and cut the filter open too. I have Comp Cam break in oil in mine. I did have to replace my brass gear and intermediate shaft during my rebuild. That engine as purchased has a chewed cam and lifters that sent mat'l through the mains/rod/cam bearings. None of the debris in the pan looked golden like yours. Hopefully it is the gear. Maybe you can pull the pan and do a spot check on your rod/main brgs and see. Good Luck. Maybe I can come and lend a hand. I was very nervous breaking in my engine, and have yet to sample the oil. I have only been around the block twice to look for and fix leaks and shake down this bad boy a little at a time before I hit the highway with it.

Good Luck,
Marion

I'll keep you posted. I already got new build ideas bouncing around in my head but I need to identify the problem first.

the stock intermediate shaft is steel right? no brass there unless you have a billet camshaft that requires one?????

How did he do?
So far so good. He came out to help with the breakin also. He knows his MOPARS and brought to my attention quite a few details, tricks, and issues. The Tristate Mopar Club Prez recommended him to me. He works nights so he was pretty slow but thorough. The engine runs very smooth and sounds nasty! Except in the car and the cam with the spool mounts plus 3 inch exhaust make for some good old Hot Rod sounds and vibes! No issues.

FYI,
Marion

you got oil pressure?

Last time I put a gauge on it was last year after an oil change and I had good oil pressure. Didn't think anything was wrong until last weekend when I posted to thread with a video saying something sounded off with the car. I drove it down the street for five minutes after that happened and the car has not been moved since. I don't want to start it up at all with metal in the oil now.

Checking the oil pressure is not worth feeding that material through the engine. I know something is wrong so now I have to find out what.

So far so good. He came out to help with the breakin also. He knows his MOPARS and brought to my attention quite a few details, tricks, and issues. The Tristate Mopar Club Prez recommended him to me. He works nights so he was pretty slow but thorough. The engine runs very smooth and sounds nasty! Except in the car and the cam with the spool mounts plus 3 inch exhaust make for some good old Hot Rod sounds and vibes! No issues.

FYI,
Marion

I may contact him on the machining and possibly the short block but i typically like wrenching on the stuff. The timeline is no issue. When the motor comes out this thing will be getting many more upgrades so I realistically am expecting it to be about a year before I can get everything together.

This may be dumb but I know it's a big surprise to have a little metal in the filter after a fresh rebuild but this amount is too much right?

I agree. Not much I can add to here. Hope you were able to catch it in time.
Good idea to cut open filter after oil changes.
I know it won't catch non ferous materials like your filter was showing, but I use filter mags on all my cars. FilterMag also sells kinda of a canopener tool. which makes it way easier, and less messy to open the filters up

-
Back