My Project - 1971 Plymouth Duster

-

PhotoGreg

Reaction score
Greetings all. Figure it's time to introduce myself and start my build thread.

It's been some 20+ years since I retired my 1980 Volare Road Runner, but I am returning to my mopar roots and can't wait to get started on the build.

Here's some info for everyone:
1971 Duster
She was born on June 18th, 1971, and spent her life up until 2006 in Arizona From there was bought and driven to St Louis where it slept for the last 12 years. My good friend Joe (Riddler on here) and I took a road trip to route 66 in Boubon, MO to collect the car and bring her home. She's about 98% rust free and runs and drives (though, the brakes are some what scary). She came with a 73 340 and 727 Torque flight trans. Both will be overhauled soon and I am thinking on stroking the 340.

I'm still debating on what to do with the car color wise, but the consideration of bringing back the hemi orange is a possibility. We'll see though.

If you'd like to give Joe and I a follow on our facebook page, you can do so here.

Here she is the day we picked her up.

33504527_10214726591611172_7785307404358385664_o.jpg

Fender Tag Decode:
VL29:
Plymouth Valiant,Duster
Low
2 Door Sports Hardtop

C1B: 225 145HP 1-1BBL 6 CYL
Dodge Main, Hamtramck, MI, USA

434869: Sequence number

E24: 225 cid 1 barrel 6 Cylinder 145hp
D31: A904 3-Speed Auto Trans.
EV2: Hemi Orange Exterior Color
L1X9: Trim - Low, Unknown, Black
TX9: Black Int. Door Frames
618: Build Date: June 18
374246: Order number

EV2: Hemi Orange Top Color
U: USA Specifications
G11: Tinted Glass (all)
H51: Air Conditioning with Heater
R11: Radio Solid State AM (2 Watts)
EN1: End of Sales Codes

Last edited:
Nice project..hemi-orange is my FAVORITE color heres my factory EV2..

20150920_164142.jpg

You don't need a stroker, you think you WANT a stroker. Save the money for gas and beer. Freshen it and run it! That 340 runs just fine and are damn near bullet proof :thumbsup: Nice car by the way!

Last edited:
And throw away all those good parts? When they built the 340 they did it right. Now racing that's another story, but for a street rod. Realy? But why race a 340? There are so many other options. Save the money and buy the other parts you need. Like paint! Damn that ain't cheap anymore. By the way they stop making the 340 in 1973 you all know this. Keep what you have! If you wanna stroke something get a 360 block. If the parts are good use them. I sure wish I could go back in time and save all the 340 blocks I wasted racing. Think about it... those parts can never be recovered. It's not like it's a numbers matching car. Just saying.

Last edited:
Gonna leave her intact until after Dream Cruise?

Good to see you in a position to have a "fun" car again.
I'll be following (on here, I'm taking a break from facebook)

All my previous Mopars have been 1st gen Neon coupes. lol

Jay

She’s getting the brake upgrade in the next couple weeks, and the leaning tower of power will get some love and probably all new coolant hoses and that’ll be it for the summer. The winter, that’s when the larger efforts start moving forward.

Brakes are coming in today.

Thank you eBay for the Father’s Day discount. Lol front disc conversion, and wilwood master and power booster. :)

AA638B06-EBF1-4ECD-9205-F87E05910F47.jpeg
34405FC4-9B53-4A25-AD13-CBC6696C293C.jpeg

I'm debating doing a setup where I use one of those android rear view mirrors as the audio head and forgo an FM radio. I don't listen to broadcast radio anyways.

Something like this.

I'm not a huge fan of most of those, because the quality just isn't there....
But, there are a lot of bluetooth receiver units (typically designed for marine and powersports stuff) that you can put in the dash where noone can see it.

Pioneer has an App called "ARC" that allows you to control the Head unit from your phone. You could hide one ofthose in your glovebox or maybe under a seat, and do it that way. The nice thing about it is you could add a SiriusXM tuner if you wanted.

Jay

A little update.. well.. more than a little. :)

Some decisions were made, parts were purchased, and a slightly different direction has been established.

So here's the plan/work list for the knuckle duster. It's gonna be a BUSY summer.

Engine Stuff:
  • Install 5.9 Magnum Engine - Got a great deal on a 5.9 Magnum engine and decided for the time being to run the 360 (in LA trim) shout out to @moparvinny for facilitating.
    • Install Edelbrock Air Gap Manifold
    • Install Holley Sniper EFI Setup (Still need tank and pump etc)
    • Install CVF Serpentine Conversion w/ Sanden AC compressor, Saginaw Power steering pump and 1 wire Alternator
    • Install Fabricated Valve Covers
    • Install Crane Roller Rockers
    • Install Mopar Perf electronic Dist.
  • Install TTI Long Tube Headers
Transmission Stuff:
  • Install AMD 4spd Hump (and Bucket Seat Re-enforcement plates and frame ties at same time)
  • Install 4 speed conversion w/ 833 Trans - got a package deal with trans, pedals, shifter, bell housing, etc.. Pretty much complete.
  • Rebuild Clutch Pedal Assembly
  • Install TTI Z-Bar, McLeod Flywheel, Pressure Plate and Clutch
  • Find/Buy a Pistol Grip Shifter
  • Buy Driveshaft
Suspension and Rear End
  • Install 8 3/4" rear end w/ 3.91 gears with an Eaton Locker Diff
  • Install Super Stock Mopar Leafs
  • Install Wilwood Brakes, Master and Booster
Interior:
  • Install Legendary Seat Covers and install bucket seats up front
    • Picked up '73 Buckets and tracks (had to replace drivers tracks :( )
  • Replace custom gauge panel, and order custom gauges
  • Buy Carpet
  • Refurb Dash Pad
  • Refurb Door Panels
Exterior:
  • Paint will be delayed until next year, so for now....
  • Install new door handles
  • Install new rally mirrors
  • Polish/Clean all glass
  • Install 69 Valiant Grill
  • Install new marker lenses and bulbs

:D

Fabricated Valve Covers & CVF Serpentine System installed with 160a 1 wire alternator.
Figuring out some other small stuff and hoping to begin prep for putting it in the car.

57688251619__4532E878-B595-413C-81AC-977F542AFB1E.jpg

Had a garage day a couple weeks ago.
Installed the McLeod flywheel and clutch and pressure plate, cleaned up the trans. Riddler rehabbed the pedals, but we ran into a problem with the clutch fork. No biggie, just need to order the right one.

7E9B488D-1A35-4975-A1A2-F5929A51DF31.jpeg
705653FD-1069-4B65-B2FF-657A9EC731BF.jpeg
63E7B72C-32E6-45D3-AD9E-FF87AFF3A43F.jpeg
B3E86BB4-B89A-4999-BE43-6C9A648FE288.jpeg

-
Back