my PST Strud rod Bushing Fell off the car! *PICS*

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
The bolts and standard suspension kit came from PST. The poly bushings came from HES. I did not ask to be compensated in any way. Just want to inform members of the issues I have experienced first hand with poly parts. I have had similar issues with My pan hard bar bushings in my truck Black red it doesn't matter.

Since around 30 k on my 05 Ram I was fighting the death wobble. One of the things I did was install poly pan hard bushings. One good forearm shake from the death wobble and they were reduced to pieces. Re- installed rubber and they are still in the truck after several more elbow breakers . They took the shake and are still there. I have two 05's so I purchased two sets. The second set are still here in the box.

We also raced ATV's for at least 10 years. The poly A-arm bushings being sold with the cheaper A-arms were always turning to pieces.

The material does not take friction or compression without fatigue. Just a know fact That I have seen over the years. Stiffer? Yes. Looks cool and easy to use? Yes. The reason they give you lube to coat them is friction and compression tears them apart.
If you are using them on a race car they do keep everything tighter while they are there. Race cars don't see road dirt and weather. What you need to ask yourself when buying a kit is . What is more important stiff/Stability or endurance.

I Never had any problems with your hard parts. Except the Bolts. I was warned . But they were new and they were on a car that is mostly a race car trailer queen.They were handy & clean so I used them .I did not Tighten them. The front end alignment tech did. He has done mopars for years. But after some thought and looking at the bolt design with two flats instead of one . I won't use them. They may work if the Material was consistent.

I have a drawer full of used OEM bolts. Not one of them is stretched at the base of the thread. If you want a picture you will have to contact Nation Wide Ins. They took the bolt that failed. They didn't ask anything. So I didn't say anything. I Didn't need to drag out the claim. If they cared I am sure I would have heard from them.

I have nothing to gain here . I don't sell suspension parts. I have my opinion and I have every right to express it. Some may agree and some won't. But Your comment on the Falcon A-arm shows your opinion on this subject means nothing anymore. You are selling parts so you are Bias. Falcon Lower bushings are encapsulated by a cross member with a Bolt and a nut. So they can't move.

The strut rod is a pivot. Force rearward on the outside of the control arm and the inside is forced against the face of the bushing. On a "Mopar". Pull front and the arm wants to pull away. What holds it on the pin? The torsion bar & clip that is 1/4 inch away?

I have had totally wasted 30 yr. old OEM bushings and still had to press the pin out.

When I removed my A-arms from the Duster with poly bushings You can grab the pins and pull them out with ease.
I have been working on these cars since the 70's and installed many of your kits for customers. The poly strut rods bushings always came back with chunks gone. They are junk and I would never buy poly bushings again.

Also I have a question for you what holds the lower control arm from moving front to back with the poly bushing on the pin with lube on it? The torsion bar clip? The strut didn't LOL .

Usually when the factory lower bushing tears off the inner sleeve they need to be replaced or the car wonders. The poly bushings are off the sleeve when installed and then you lube them yet

the proper installation procedure for the factory style bushings are tighten them with the control arm in its operating position (Ride height) or 1.5 inches off he bump stop. This lets them travel both ways the same distance without movement on the sleeve. Critical for holding the control arm in place

Here is one of your kits installed. Your factory kits are fine your poly kits are not.
The parts couldn't handle 600 miles 1/4 mile at a time on this car.

View attachment 1715296423

These parts are not bent this is how far the parts left it move back. Probably originally failed foot braking it at the track . Ray Barton warned me I didn't listen. Watch the left front.

View attachment 1715296340

I have no dog in this fight but even I have to say this seems sketchy at best. You jumped PST claiming their poly stuff is junk but then it comes out you were using a different company’s stuff. Kind of odd don’t ya think?

I have no dog in this fight but even I have to say this seems sketchy at best. You jumped PST claiming their poly stuff is junk but then it comes out you were using a different company’s stuff. Kind of odd don’t ya think?

Take this info as you want. This was my experience with poly bushings. The suspension and the bolt kit purchased with the bolt that failed was bought from PST. The poly material does not have the endurance rubber does.

And as for the bolts the threaded area has about 50% more material removed than the originals. Could it have been a material flaw? Yes. could less material have promoted the failure ? Yes. If you think this is OK, Do this to all your studs holding your wheels on.

Most all companies selling these bolts are selling the same design. Same manufacture? Who knows. Compare the bolts first. Then let me know.

Also I haven't seen any metal sleeves molded in any poly strut rod bushing from any manufacture. This locates and holds the bushing centered in the K-member and prevents side to side movement. A critical piece missing that promotes failure that was left out by all.

This will be my last post on this so take this info as you like this is my opinion only . I am not asking to be compensated in any way and don't really care to take advice from a Suspension tech/sales rep/engineer who makes up stories about Ford Falcon coil spring suspension being the same just for a reference that he knows is not apples to apples. Sorry but that comment was the kicker for me. What ever needed to be said to make yourself look correct. Now that should tell the whole story, Sort of like a Democrat. Wouldn't you say so.

Over a $20 part replacement. LOL Those that usually ask for a replacement probably saved up just to buy the parts the first time. And you sold how many kits like this? with the "wrong instructions"!!!!! None the less by your own admission .

Have a nice day Rich.

Steve

Last edited:
The recent portion of this post is a clusterf**k and is going nowhere. Move on people, PST has no issue here! If you going to ***** about parts dont quote the company has didnt supply them.

The bolts and standard suspension kit came from PST. The poly bushings came from HES. I did not ask to be compensated in any way. Just want to inform members of the issues I have experienced first hand with poly parts. I have had similar issues with My pan hard bar bushings in my truck Black red it doesn't matter.

Since around 30 k on my 05 Ram I was fighting the death wobble. One of the things I did was install poly pan hard bushings. One good forearm shake from the death wobble and they were reduced to pieces. Re- installed rubber and they are still in the truck after several more elbow breakers . They took the shake and are still there. I have two 05's so I purchased two sets. The second set are still here in the box.

We also raced ATV's for at least 10 years. The poly A-arm bushings being sold with the cheaper A-arms were always turning to pieces.

The material does not take friction or compression without fatigue. Just a know fact That I have seen over the years. Stiffer? Yes. Looks cool and easy to use? Yes. The reason they give you lube to coat them is friction and compression tears them apart.
If you are using them on a race car they do keep everything tighter while they are there. Race cars don't see road dirt and weather. What you need to ask yourself when buying a kit is . What is more important stiff/Stability or endurance.

I Never had any problems with your hard parts. Except the Bolts. I was warned . But they were new and they were on a car that is mostly a race car trailer queen.They were handy & clean so I used them .I did not Tighten them. The front end alignment tech did. He has done mopars for years. But after some thought and looking at the bolt design with two flats instead of one . I won't use them. They may work if the Material was consistent.

I have a drawer full of used OEM bolts. Not one of them is stretched at the base of the thread. If you want a picture you will have to contact Nation Wide Ins. They took the bolt that failed. They didn't ask anything. So I didn't say anything. I Didn't need to drag out the claim. If they cared I am sure I would have heard from them.

I have nothing to gain here . I don't sell suspension parts. I have my opinion and I have every right to express it. Some may agree and some won't. But Your comment on the Falcon A-arm shows your opinion on this subject means nothing anymore. You are selling parts so you are Bias. Falcon Lower bushings are encapsulated by a cross member with a Bolt and a nut. So they can't move.

The strut rod is a pivot. Force rearward on the outside of the control arm and the inside is forced against the face of the bushing. On a "Mopar". Pull front and the arm wants to pull away. What holds it on the pin? The torsion bar & clip that is 1/4 inch away?

I have had totally wasted 30 yr. old OEM bushings and still had to press the pin out.

When I removed my A-arms from the Duster with poly bushings You can grab the pins and pull them out with ease.

These posts are very confusing as your post from Thursday leads one to believe the strut rods bushings you are discussing are from PST. Than to found out they are not. Your next post went from strut rod bushings to an issue with a cam bolt. Again did you purchase them from us? From your thread on "life and death of the Duster" post #4 you stated you did not know the brand of cam bolt but thought they were possibly Napa. But then in your thread "Say good bye to a very nice car. Or help me fix it. It was worse in 84 " You stated that the mechanic left the cam bolts loose (post #1 and #30).

We take any questions on the quality of our products very seriously. So if there is a problem with our product we want to address immediately. But my main concern here is that if the product that you are questioning is even ours? Clearly the strut rod bushings were not, as we do not offer them in red. As for the cam bolts, there is still a lot to be questioned. This can all be cleared up with you providing me your details to look up past orders. As of now we have sold 63,294 over the past 34 years, 1621 in 2018 and 400 yet so far this year. If we had a problem with quality it would be absolutely address. For us (PST) its our reputation in this thread,as a companies reputation is only as good as its product. If it is being questioned we want to address it, but if the issue is with a product that is not possibly ours that is not right either to PST.

Pertaining to the Falcon/Fairlane "Falcon Lower bushings are encapsulated by a cross member with a Bolt and a nut" You are correct in that statement, but the stamp steel u shape construction of the arm makes the very weak to forward and rear movement causing them to bend our kink with no strut rod in place. What holds them is the similar (not the same) principal design that mopar uses, a strut rod. Whether is be Ford or Mopar the the lower control arm bushing is exactly that a bushing. The strut rod is what holds the arm from moving forward and back not the bushing.

Please pm your details so we can determine what you have ever purchased from us.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back