My take on the oiling system crossover tube for the small block

-
I've seen one of yellow roses oiling videos bahahaha....
He was breaking in his motor and oil was going everywhere! bahahaha...

I haven’t seen a video or engine from him yet so I am eagerly awaiting....

My original thought when I saw the ls mains and main bearings grooved like this was that maybe this was a poor man's fix for the oil timing issue. Idk
I keep hearing about these great ideas but have yet to see them.
If it's some closely guarded secret and they don't want to share it, so be it.
I would appreciate whoever's coming out with this just shutting their pie hole.
Basically put up or shut up.

Not talking about you antro9.

Singing my song. I really don’t want to hear the BS and name calling and supposed greatness babble. This is my Montrachet for nearly everything and anyone in life. From this board to some jackass at work or walking the street.

STFU and let’s see what ya really got.

99% of the time, all I hear after that is a split between more BS or crickets chirping. That last 1% that actually puts up, makes hen’s teeth look as plentiful as sand at the Sahara desert.

Singing my song. I really don’t want to hear the BS and name calling and supposed greatness babble. This is my Montrachet for nearly everything and anyone in life. From this board to some jackass at work or walking the street.

STFU and let’s see what ya really got.

99% of the time, all I hear after that is a split between more BS or crickets chirping. That last 1% that actually puts up, makes hen’s teeth look as plentiful as sand at the Sahara desert.
This is the only reason I called said person out to a race... I don't like to hear a bunch of Internet blah blah blah and no put up and shut up. According to the statistics I never stood a chance but guess who didn't show and moved off the Forum the minute they were supposed to..

For all you guys out there shifting these engines at 7500 plus rpm do yourself a favor and go out to a track and test at lower shift points. You may be surprised and your engine will love you for it.

Ill have to look over the 360 block that I bought "blowed up"... Spun the #1/2 rod journal when run cold on a chilly September night. Not sure what, if any, oiling mods we're done by the original builder although he has built plenty of oval track Mopars.

I've also found this to be the case...
I understand what you're saying completely. But it's not all about the racetrack there's that sound that the small block Mopar Makes at 7500 RPM as vs 6000 RPM. Then there's that little thing with that rice burner that's right beside you while you're rapping the crap out of your small block Mopar and you shift to the next gear and it jumps two car links on him because it just happened to hit just right on that power band.

drive.gif

I understand what you're saying completely. But it's not all about the racetrack there's that sound that the small block Mopar Makes at 7500 RPM as vs 6000 RPM. Then there's that little thing with that rice burner that's right beside you while you're rapping the crap out of your small block Mopar and you shift to the next gear and it jumps two car links on him because it just happened to hit just right on that power band.

View attachment 1715312499

Sorry I grew out of that years ago. It’s all about shaving ET’s and my engines going 3 years before freshen jobs. Lol. J

View attachment 1715312499
Of course I totally agree! I can't tell you how many times I seen my shift light go off and I'm like screw that!

I keep hearing about these great ideas but have yet to see them.
If it's some closely guarded secret and they don't want to share it, so be it.

Not talking about you antro9.

Give me a bit of time. I'm ******* busy. I've already WRITTEN out how you fix it. I thought I was going to have time Sunday to pull a block and make a video but I got to spend another day at the ER. Monday I had two heart tests. Now I have to go out of town.

I've said it before. It's all about oil timing and you don't fix that with that idiotic crossover.

In fact, you are so sure it works, explain how it works. How does it correct oil timing to the rods? Tell me how the oil is traveling "too fast" down the gallery to make the turn down the feed to the 3-4 rod throws, because it doesn't.

If you are stuck running hydraulic lifters (why anyone would do run hydraulic lifters anymore is beyond me) you can still tube the passenger side gallery, and restrict the drivers side way down. Then drill a .0625 hole in the tube where it breaks through the lifter bore. That's all the lifter needs.

You can't fix a rod bearing oiling issue with a crossover. I had the privilege of know for many years a guy who was paid by Chrysler to sort out the oiling issues. We were at lunch and he told me how they did it "back in the day" with a ton of **** that didn't matter and then the old crossover tube. I said none of that did ****. So he stopped by the shop and looked at what I had. Then we put a bow tie block up on the table next to mine (which he agreed would oil the rods to well past 10k) along with my crank and the crank for the Chevy. I pointed out where he was wrong. After watching him stare at that junk for two hours, watching him measure hole diameters, figuring all the timing out for himself, he said, and I quote "why in the **** didn't Chrysler put this in a technical bulletin because oil timing is THE issue". And I said "hey Jim, why in the **** is Chrysler still selling W-2/5 rocker shafts with the oil timing off on those????" Which started another another two hour detailed showing of piss poor Chrysler engineering. Then I showed him my letter to MoPar Performance outlining the issues with the oil timing of the shafts and the response MP sent back to me which was go get stump broke.

I have two friends who want to go back drag racing. I've been doing everything I can to discourage them from it. So far, I have not dampened their enthusiasm. What I did do was stop them from wasting one red cent trying to do what they want to do with a Chrysler of any sort.

They are now looking at a N/A 632 BBC with Big Chief heads. Which is a damn sight better than the 400ish inch small block I quashed from the jump and the idiotic idea of wasting double the money of trying to build a Predator head based BBM.

To run at the level they want there is not a single reason to deal with anything Chrysler and I would not be able to look myself in the mirror if I didn't do my best to not let them waste their money on Chrysler over priced, under performing, under served junk.

So give me some time and I'll make a video. It will be in my time frame. I should send out a bill for the education.

@yellow rose
So where are your write up(s) on this?
Give me a bit of time. I'm ******* busy. I've already WRITTEN out how you fix it. I thought I was going to have time Sunday to pull a block and make a video but I got to spend another day at the ER. Monday I had two heart tests. Now I have to go out of town.

I've said it before. It's all about oil timing and you don't fix that with that idiotic crossover.

In fact, you are so sure it works, explain how it works. How does it correct oil timing to the rods? Tell me how the oil is traveling "too fast" down the gallery to make the turn down the feed to the 3-4 rod throws, because it doesn't.

If you are stuck running hydraulic lifters (why anyone would do run hydraulic lifters anymore is beyond me) you can still tube the passenger side gallery, and restrict the drivers side way down. Then drill a .0625 hole in the tube where it breaks through the lifter bore. That's all the lifter needs.

You can't fix a rod bearing oiling issue with a crossover. I had the privilege of know for many years a guy who was paid by Chrysler to sort out the oiling issues. We were at lunch and he told me how they did it "back in the day" with a ton of **** that didn't matter and then the old crossover tube. I said none of that did ****. So he stopped by the shop and looked at what I had. Then we put a bow tie block up on the table next to mine (which he agreed would oil the rods to well past 10k) along with my crank and the crank for the Chevy. I pointed out where he was wrong. After watching him stare at that junk for two hours, watching him measure hole diameters, figuring all the timing out for himself, he said, and I quote "why in the **** didn't Chrysler put this in a technical bulletin because oil timing is THE issue". And I said "hey Jim, why in the **** is Chrysler still selling W-2/5 rocker shafts with the oil timing off on those????" Which started another another two hour detailed showing of piss poor Chrysler engineering. Then I showed him my letter to MoPar Performance outlining the issues with the oil timing of the shafts and the response MP sent back to me which was go get stump broke.

I have two friends who want to go back drag racing. I've been doing everything I can to discourage them from it. So far, I have not dampened their enthusiasm. What I did do was stop them from wasting one red cent trying to do what they want to do with a Chrysler of any sort.

They are now looking at a N/A 632 BBC with Big Chief heads. Which is a damn sight better than the 400ish inch small block I quashed from the jump and the idiotic idea of wasting double the money of trying to build a Predator head based BBM.

To run at the level they want there is not a single reason to deal with anything Chrysler and I would not be able to look myself in the mirror if I didn't do my best to not let them waste their money on Chrysler over priced, under performing, under served junk.

So give me some time and I'll make a video. It will be in my time frame. I should send out a bill for the education.

Last edited:
For all you guys out there shifting these engines at 7500 plus rpm do yourself a favor and go out to a track and test at lower shift points. You may be surprised and your engine will love you for it.

I agree. To make power at 7500 takes way more than what I see most guys doing. Making power at 8500 is next to impossible and the learning curve is a vertical line when you try and do it with Chrysler junk.

I agree. To make power at 7500 takes way more than what I see most guys doing. Making power at 8500 is next to impossible and the learning curve is a vertical line when you try and do it with Chrysler junk.
Are you going to be at the swamp meet at PIR while you're here?

Are you going to be at the swamp meet at PIR while you're here?

I might. The wife wants to come home on Friday morning. Which means if I stay we have to take two cars and I hate that (if you've ever seen my wife drive you wouldn't question that) so I'm not sure what's going on, as per normal.

One thing I will say, is I personally never believed in the theory that the oil travels to fast to make the turn into the galley, not when there is restrictions in the system. Now a wide open passage, then maybe. And most of the blown up sbm I have seen, showed signs of oil starvation to the front to rods first. Just what I've observed, your results may vary

One thing I will say, is I personally never believed in the theory that the oil travels to fast to make the turn into the galley, not when there is restrictions in the system. Now a wide open passage, then maybe. And most of the blown up sbm I have seen, showed signs of oil starvation to the front to rods first. Just what I've observed, your results may vary
Isn’t it the reason the left oil bank is blocked so oil does t go up that direction to feed the lifter valley by stays at the crank/rods?

I might. The wife wants to come home on Friday morning. Which means if I stay we have to take two cars and I hate that (if you've ever seen my wife drive you wouldn't question that) so I'm not sure what's going on, as per normal.
Where are your posts on the piling subject that detail this? Pictures? Video? Crayon drawings?

Isn’t it the reason the left oil bank is blocked so oil does t go up that direction to feed the lifter valley by stays at the crank/rods?
That's my feeling, although I'm far from a expert on the subject. But essentially, you have 8 oil leaks on that side, taking quite a bit of volume of oil from the front journal

Thank you for your reply did not realize that you hate Chrysler and that you're promoting big block Chevys. Why are you even on for a bodies only.
Between that and you're dirty language you do not eed to respond to this thread anymore. You have proved nothing to me or anybody else other than you know how to type on your computer or telephone whichever you use.
In other words take a hike.

-
Back