My take on the oiling system crossover tube for the small block

-
Mr Sanborn was a smart man who was willing to share. I have followed many of his recommendations for exactly that reason. They make sense. He also had the courtesy to explain his rational when someone asked a question.
I have no problem with someone telling me I am wrong about something if they can tell me why. If you can,t then I assume the person either has an agenda or does,not know or he knows that something works but does not know why.
Such is the case with yr. what your timing light has to do with oiling is beyond me. Looks like razzle dazzle to me.
Number 2 rod I believe is fed from number 2 main which is also trying to feed your rockers. Not a coincidence imho.

What did I not explain? I've done it so many times it's silly. You still can't tell me how a crossover fixes anything.

Get real. You don't know what you don't know. Evidently, you can't be taught.

Krooser if you would like to see a good but lengthy thread that we had on oiling here is the link.lifter galley crossover tube
It is very lengthy but if you stay with it you will see what I am talking about with the slotting of the mains correcting the oil timing.

Again, go ahead and slot the bearings, then go make power above 8000 and watch the rods come out. Unreal.

Yr reminds me of the retarded guy that lives down the street. Lord forgive me when I first moved in here years ago I was nice to him and when he had to ask about my car I mentioned Woodburn Dragstrip. good Lord every time three times to four times a day he would go by and tell different stories about Woodburn dragstrip and how he was there yesterday or how he was going to be there soon with his brother. Telling stories of all the terrific crashes that happened the other day and all that stuff while I'm thinking to myself the track hasn't been open in 2 weeks? Does yr have to get debunked constantly...
ignore the guy for a couple years now it just gets so tiresome listening to all the lies...
I would have ignored him a long time ago but I know a lot of the stories come from some pretty good magazines that are truthful. I just wish he would admit he's not the one coming up with this stuff and has actually no experience....
Name dropping Racers names a few Engineers names and a bunch of self-assured writing techniques doesn't fool me...

Your ignorance is showing. You can always drag your junk up here. Let's not forget, it was YOU who shot your mouth off first.

So drag your **** over here and I'll drag it. Or **** your mouth.

I read that. That has nothing to do with blocks that have the oil feed timing off.
I did not say it had to do with the timing. The article is not Mopar specific. But they are saying is on any engine slotting the bearing produces less wear.
I am saying on the sbm the benefits are also better timing.
How do you explain the results then.

Last edited:
What did I not explain? I've done it so many times it's silly. You still can't tell me how a crossover fixes anything.

Get real. You don't know what you don't know. Evidently, you can't be taught.
How can someone explain it too you when you think the Chev and the Chrysler are the same.

I read that. That has nothing to do with blocks that have the oil feed timing off.
This is a post that you made yr.
You claimed that the oil feed hole in the crank will be past the hole
In the block in the Chrysler. I am saying I agree but that slotting the bearings moves the position in the right direction, and I do not understand how you cannot see the benefit. If you think there is no timing benefit then something is wrong with your explanation. It is not the slotting that improves the timing, it is the ability of the crank feed hole to get oil at a different position. The slotting makes it possible.

yellow roseDoctor of Thinkology.
Local Time:
4:37 PM

The SBC and SBM crank oil holes are identical, Hmm. So senses the right and left banks are 90* apart it would be hard to oil them from the side of the block or from the main caps, you would have to do them both. The left bank you could do from modifing the stock oil hole, the right bank you would have to modify the main cap and bearing. Drilling the cap will definitely weaken it so I would use a steel cap.

Hell, you did most of the work for me!! THANK YOU.

Now, if you can, grab a SBM and a SBC block and show where the oil feed hole in the block is.

You will note that at ~70 degrees past TDC, the oil hole in the block and the oil hole in the crank will be lined up on the Chevy. On the Chrysler, the oil feed hole in the crank will be PAST the oil feed hole block. That means that full pressure, full flow oil out to the rods was way too early.

If you can post some pictures it's pretty obvious what is wrong.

And, it's not really and issue until you wind it up or throw a big load of nitrous or boost on it. Then it will rear its ugly head sooner.

The picture of the big block above is pretty close to what I ended up with. The first system was all in the pan. The second system was external like the one above except I had bulkhead fittings in the pan so I could run lines to the bottom of the caps. That, and cross drilling corrects the oil timing.

ReportBookmark
+ QuoteReply

Duane all the pictures and links go to an error.
Do you have a link to the original thread?

I don't expect you to know or learn the half of what I've forgotten.
Everything you Proclaim to know, I want to forget!
Your ignorance is showing. You can always drag your junk up here. Let's not forget, it was YOU who shot your mouth off first.

So drag your **** over here and I'll drag it. Or **** your mouth.
First of all my car isn't ****! I can tell you whatever it is I've worked very hard on it and work very hard to get it.
My car is my pride and joy besides my wife and dogs and children/grandchildren not necessarily in that order...
I can't even depend on you to make it a half hour from my house or at least message me and tell me you can't make it and you expect me to drive all the way out to your place with my prized possession? That is more than laughable....:realcrazy:
Well prize possession besides my SNOWMOBILES!!! :thumbsup:

If you are trying to achieve the desired "straight through" oil passage that is line of sight from the main to the rod, there isn't a lot of leeway either direction to maintain that. Changing timing beyond that requires an angle drilled "L" passage or crossdrilling. Especially if the journal has a lightening hole.

It comes back to a full groove (bearing set or in the bore) to provide 360* oil on the rod if that's deemed necessary. Or less depending on the balance between surface area and oil needed.

Engine oil pressure is not what creates the hydrodynamic wedge anyway (as opposed to hydrostatic lubrication), so is it really necessary to have 360 degree pressurized oiling as opposed to just making sure it gets what is needed? How do we know what is needed? Observation - i.e. watch the filter as a problem will show up there first, take it apart and check it, fix it and make a change or adjustment. Rinse and repeat until you get results. The trick is to work the process without blowing the thing up.

Oil Clearance and Engine Bearings [SubsTech]

Last edited:
If you are trying to achieve the desired "straight through" oil passage that is line of sight from the main to the rod, there isn't a lot of leeway either direction to maintain that. Changing timing beyond that requires an angle drilled "L" passage or crossdrilling. Especially if the journal has a lightening hole.

It comes back to a full groove (bearing set or in the bore) to provide 360* oil on the rod if that's deemed necessary. Or less depending on the balance between surface area and oil needed.

Engine oil pressure is not what creates the hydrodynamic wedge anyway (as opposed to hydrostatic lubrication), so is it really necessary to have 360 degree pressurized oiling as opposed to just making sure it gets what is needed? How do we know what is needed? Observation - i.e. watch the filter as a problem will show up there first, take it apart and check it, fix it and make a change or adjustment. Rinse and repeat until you get results. The trick is to work the process without blowing the thing up.

Oil Clearance and Engine Bearings [SubsTech]
The article really shows the importance of proper clearances for the intended usage. Do we really need 360 degree oiling, well yr will argue the Chev is fine without it, and so will Mahle clevite, but Chrysler says you need it lol.

another caveat is that a v8 the eccentricity of the oil film moves around depending on which bank has the force (v8 middle bearings have 4 angled cylinders and two offset crank throws- one on each side)
think of the diagram as one for an inline engine
The older 6 cylinder diagram recommended oil feed at around 4 o'clock
those trying that with a v8 had more failures
we found 90 degrees easy to do and worked as the design of the bearings had more clearance at the parting i.e. the installed bearings are not round
as said above oil pressure does not make hydrodynamic wedge but adequate volume at the right place does
grooved lower bearings reduce the load area and hurt the dynamic wedge
it does not show in the article but an un goved bearing loses support on the two outside edges on a curve
one with a slot loses support at four edges
now trade that off with rod oiling

Looks like FABO is slowly turning into Facebook.

Has anyone ever documented the pressure changes by using the crossover? Individual pressure changes local to the main bearings - to prove its worth?

This is a combination of my thoughts and ideas taken from the Guitar Jones oiling system modifications thread.
If you have some input that would help along these lines and to clarify some of the thinking you're more than welcome to post but if you think that you just need to post negative don't bother I'm not interested.
Does anyone here know where to get the discontinued right lifter galley restriction pipe kit that Mancini used to sell? I have the drills but no swedge. Thank you.

Does anyone here know where to get the discontinued right lifter galley restriction pipe kit that Mancini used to sell? I have the drills but no swedge. Thank you.

Make one on a lathe or round off the edges of an old lifter. I get the tubing from MSC Industrial.

Make sure the tubing is soft or there is a danger of breaking the lifter bore when you use the tool to peen the tube.

Or a better suggestion, bush the bores and fix multiple issues at once.

Thanks, I love how it sounds too!
I was talking with Bob Mazzolini, he thinks because the lifter bores are not bushed, oil is leaking past those.
I may just run the engine as is, some say the pressure is okay, others question it.

I will find out when I put that HV oil pump along with a shimmed spring once I get it later this week. I dunno.
Couldn't you pull the intake and manually prim the oil pump and see if the oil is leaking around the lifters?

-
Back