Need a k frame pic

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
Well on my cuda, my kframe where the moter mounts are looks to be pretty hacked and welded poorly, id just like to see how they should look maybe im wrong, unless the factory was just that bad :scratch: , also , if i did decide to swap k members, is it better to go 73+abody k frame cause of the bigger ball joints n such, can someone tell me why i would wanna upgrade, besides disc brakes that are on 73 and up k members, thanks guys :headbang:

Factory weld usually arent pretty. The 73 and up K uses better motor mounts also.

here are some pics :scratch:

DSC07848.JPG

DSC07844.JPG

1966 dart wagon said:
Well on my cuda, my kframe where the moter mounts are looks to be pretty hacked and welded poorly, id just like to see how they should look maybe im wrong, unless the factory was just that bad :scratch: , also , if i did decide to swap k members, is it better to go 73+abody k frame cause of the bigger ball joints n such, can someone tell me why i would wanna upgrade, besides disc brakes that are on 73 and up k members, thanks guys :headbang:

Go to www.engine-swaps.com and scroll down on the left to K member identification. Looks like someone, not factory, did a real scab job on the welding of the motor mounts. :evil2:

That was how my K member looked too. 318 car. It looked kind of bad but how can see it when the engine and accessories are all on

Yeah , That's typical factory welding of a K-frame, I just pulled one and it didnt look much better. Weld splatter n stuff everywhere, nothing you cant clean up with a 4"-5" grinder and a DA Sander.

when i pull the motor to do my 360 swap, would it be a good idea to grind down the crappy factory welds and lay some nice beads down? it couldnt hurt i presume

If you can locate a newer K memeber it would worthwhile since like Adam said they have the better motor mounts. They're basically unbreakable unlike the old style like yours. If you don't switch K members to be honest why worry about those crappy welds. Mine also look like that and my car and probably thousands of others have been raced going 11 seconds in the 1/4 maybe even faster and they never broke a frame mount loose. You can't see the crappy welds when you get everything installed anyway.

if i wanted to do a k frame swap, for bigger ball joints and bigger isnt like something in the steering is better, remember i want this car to handle in the future, or could i just put all this on my current k frame, o and its got aftermarket mounts like the rubber in between the engine i believe

use some orange clean, or simple green, etc,
wash/rinse with warm water,
{I used a 2 gallon garden pump sprayer, filled with Hot tap water}

Paint with semi-gloss black.

The k-frame has nothing to do with what ball joints are on the car. That's all in the upper control arms.

Yeah like Jim said. The K member is seperate from the suspension parts. They just bolt to the k member so you can put what ever suspension parts you want on any K member. And as far as your car having aftermarket engine mounts. I don't think so. The picture you posted looks stock to me. They all have rubber between.

-
Back