Need advice: 318 or 340 for a 68 Dart?

• Thread starter Deleted member 39531
  • Start date
-
D

Deleted member 39531

Before you immediately say 340 let me give you the scenario. Just a regular 2 door dart not a GT unfortunately. I drive a lot. This will be my daily driver. It used to have a 6 cyl. It won't be going to the drag races but I want some pep in its step and upgrade it. Considering gas mileage as well, would there be much difference between the two? The 340 is tempting just not sure if I need it. What would you do? I want to hear that throaty growl and be able to have some fun... Can't decide, getting a motor this weekend so please help!

either one will do just fine, 318 will be cheaper, both install the same. Mileage could be better with the 318, but really depends on the build

The 318 can get pretty good gas mileage and can perform well. Both at the same time can leave a lot to be desired. Just a "growl" can be mufflers. Tell us what you would like from the engine as far as performance is concerned.

Pepping up a 318 to perform like a stock 340 will get you the same mileage more or less.

If the difference in money isn't a concern, no reason not to do the 340 IMO. I think you'll end up saving a lot of dough with the 318 and will still be light years ahead of what a slant six does.

I'd go with 360 it's got the same potential as a 340, cheaper and be more streetable then a similar performer 318.

Agree with both of these! My question is, Do you have a 318 and a 340 at your disposal? If not, consider a 360. My pick is a 340, but you may not have access to one, and a 360 would be second best. You want a daily driver, but id hate to see you get your *** handed to you at a stoplight when you have that throaty growl and want to have some fun.

318 will be far better as a daily driver. 340 is performance oriented.

And because they are performance oriented most of them have been used/abused in that manner. Many are on their 2nd, 3rd, even 4th life.
Good virgin 340 blocks are still in the well kept low millage car they came with.
Available 340 blocks are always punched to +.03 to +.06

Yes I have a choice of 318 or 340 at my disposal right now. No 360 in this group. I'm leaning towards the 318 in case I'm in a generous mood and eventually give the car to my daughter who has a leadfoot. Maybe less damage potential with less power. But I see the arguments for the 340 as well so I'm stuck. I'm not going to be doing anything more serious than freeway driving. Yes I want a nice throaty muffler. I don't intend to "beef up" the motor in any way it's going to be left stock whichever option I go with... Thanks for your opinions it's good to have other POV's!

Also.... A 360 is slightly cheaper in the piston department if ether (318-360) need a rebuild.
A 360 has exactly the same HP ability as a 340 and does it at a lower rpm. (Street rides fellas, not race track engines)
The 360 produces more torque than ether of the two.
You can get good mileage with a 360.
As further food for thought, a 360 Magnum is readily available at a junk yard or in a inexpensive truck. The computer controlled fuel injection keeps the cylinders in very good shape. Cross hatch lines are still visible after a 100,000 miles.
Mileage differs 1 to 2 mpg's in mild to well built machines.

Think about it.

If mileage is what you are after at all, stay clear of the 360. The 318 can get you 325 HP real quick and get decent mileage doin it.

I will never understand why you would pick the 318 over a 340. Or a 360 over 340.

When will the Chrysler people learn bore size is where it's at. That's why a Predator on a BBM won't run like Big Chief's on BBC. You can't expect a 4.5 bore to run with a 4.65 bore?

Go with the biggest bore you can get.

Always.

Magnum 360....plenty around...easy to upgrade...beat the daylights out of em....last forever...nice driver engine with plenty of torque....

I'm leaning towards the 318 in case I'm in a generous mood and eventually give the car to my daughter who has a lead foot.

I'd stick with the slant if this were ever the case.

Old cars, hot motors, and people who don't understand them is a recipe for trouble.

Seems like Chrysler corp manufactured about 3,450,000 318 blocks between 1967 and 1991.

If you're looking for a 340, it seems like they manufactured about 12 of those.

318 can be had for about $150 or under $500 running and driving with trans.

340- just like buying a lobster at a nice restaurant- market dictates price.
(Hint- it's NOT $150-$500)

Dollar for dollar answer is 92-02 318 or 360 Mag, second choice 85-91 318 or 360 LA roller.

If your only choices are between the 318 and 340, and you want to spend less money, a running 318 would be my vote.

For reliability and mileage in a DD, I'd leave the S6 in there, frankly.

340 parts can get expensive. Lots of guys - me included - love the 340, but it's going to be more money, especially for the initial buy in.

I'll echo some of the suggestions for a Magnum 5.2 or 5.9, if you want to branch out a little.

http://www.magnumswap.com/

While it is true that a 340 will cost more than a 318 up front, the resale value will be greater with a 340 than a 318 car.
If you can get the 340 block reasonable, I'd go with the 340.

If it's in the cards.............buy them both! The 318 will make the car a nice drive it anywhere, any time car. As much as I am a slave to performance (the more the better), a nice DRIVER appeals to me also.

Keep the 340 in the corner as an investment, it will only gain in value.

Good luck!

Since those are your only options depending on price I'd go 340 can always detune it if you think it's too much for your daughter. Car will also have a higher resale valve.
Not by much mind you but people are gonna buy a 340 car over a similar 318 car.

318 with small heads makes torque and gets good gas mileage as well. We built a 273 with closed camber heads a stock 340 cam from a 1968 340. It got 23 miles per gallon and pulled good.

I will never understand why you would pick the 318 over a 340. Or a 360 over 340.

When will the Chrysler people learn bore size is where it's at. That's why a Predator on a BBM won't run like Big Chief's on BBC. You can't expect a 4.5 bore to run with a 4.65 bore?

Go with the biggest bore you can get.

Always.

I might be mistaken, but I thought the 360 shares the same bore size as the 340 (?) if that is the case, a 360 could be somewhat considered a stroked 340! Whatever the case, a 360 is not one of his options. We don't know a lot about his options, limitations, and variables, but my recommendation would be athe 318 with a 340 cam. My last engin had that combo, and it went pretty good.

-
Back