need everyones opinion on bad trans shop

-

Johnny Mac

www.blueprintengines.com
FABO Vendor
Reaction score
OK fellas, here's my problem that has me about to blow my top.
mid racing season last year i blow up a torque converter. this threw metal through my entire tranny, so i take it back to the same guy that had rebuilt it 4 years prior. at the time i drop it off with the converter still attached, not knowing that it had chewed off the front of the pump ( converter was still functioning when removed, the only indication i had something was wrong was the car would not shift into 3rd gear) it had a full manual valve body also to be clear. The trans guy tells me the converter is shot and wants 250-300 to flush the entire trans and to inspect/clean everything. which i gave him. buy this time it was too late in the season to mess with putting it back together so i just got around to putting the trans and new converter in several months ago. i get everything bolted up...do a few launches and guess what? STILL NO THIRD GEAR!? so i drain the fluid (spilling/wasting most of it), spend another 5 hours pulling the trans i had just put in, and call the guy. he admits to me he only flushed the valve body, and did not check the 1-2 shift valve, or the 2-3, because it requires the v body to be opened up and "he's not super familiar with mopars" so in my pi$$ed of fury i tell him how i'll be dropping it off and he better learn fast. bc now i'm out 12 hours labor, and $50 in trans fluid, and the 2 weeks i know its gonna take him to lazily get to it. (i should have just bought and installed a new valve body with it in the car i know). anyways after i take off friday, being told it would be done the week. he never answered the phone, finally calls me 2 weeks later telling me its done, and he did find the 2-3 valve stuck. so last night i stay up till 2 am putting it all back together for the 2nd time....get to quart 12 and hear fluid hitting the ground. its leaking out the bottom of the bellhousing under the converter, at least a quart or 2, then stopped. like the pump gasket is damaged. or the pump itself. so now he messed it up worst than it was. i cannot trust him to go through it again b/c he is obviously a dishonest piece of trash that does slow, horrible work, i'm now out 24 hours of labor, and i am gonna have to pull it again to address the pump leak, not to mention i'm probably up to $100 in trans fluid on the ground.... im so infuriated i dont even know what the next step to take is. i feel like i need to call this guy and let him know what i think of his work, and demand my worthless 250 i had given him. should i call the better business b? a lawyer? i mean i am a level of pi$$ed i havent seen in a long time.

I for one wouldn't put that trans in my car. Better get it gone through and straightened out by someone that knows what they are doing.

Move on...have a reputable trans builder go through the whole thing. Not worth getting a lawyer over for a few hundred bucks

My 2 cents... learn to do it yourself. 727/904 are EASY to rebuild and require few if any special tools (most can be fabbed up).

I have a 727 video that is pretty handy.

If you want to see how easy it looks, try watching the free (series of 17 or 18) videos on youtube:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJhCBZ1wMY"]YouTube - ‪Rebuilding 727 torqueflite 600hp part1‬‏[/ame]

You can download Chrysler factory manuals in this thread:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

and if you decide to get serious you need this book:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Torqueflite-727-Transmission-Handbook-HP1399/dp/1557883998"]Amazon.com: Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook HP1399: How to Rebuild or Modify Chrysler's A-727 Torqueflite for All Applications (9781557883995): Carl Munroe: Books[/ame]

-----------------

and another good one is the service books put out by ATSG. I believe you can find them cheaper at ebay than at their own site

http://www.txchange.com/atsg.htm

and some great stuff here:

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/torqueflite-tom-hand.html

OK fellas, here's my problem that has me about to blow my top.
mid racing season last year i blow up a torque converter. this threw metal through my entire tranny, so i take it back to the same guy that had rebuilt it 4 years prior. at the time i drop it off with the converter still attached, not knowing that it had chewed off the front of the pump ( converter was still functioning when removed, the only indication i had something was wrong was the car would not shift into 3rd gear) it had a full manual valve body also to be clear. The trans guy tells me the converter is shot and wants 250-300 to flush the entire trans and to inspect/clean everything. which i gave him. buy this time it was too late in the season to mess with putting it back together so i just got around to putting the trans and new converter in several months ago. i get everything bolted up...do a few launches and guess what? STILL NO THIRD GEAR!? so i drain the fluid (spilling/wasting most of it), spend another 5 hours pulling the trans i had just put in, and call the guy. he admits to me he only flushed the valve body, and did not check the 1-2 shift valve, or the 2-3, because it requires the v body to be opened up and "he's not super familiar with mopars" so in my pi$$ed of fury i tell him how i'll be dropping it off and he better learn fast. bc now i'm out 12 hours labor, and $50 in trans fluid, and the 2 weeks i know its gonna take him to lazily get to it. (i should have just bought and installed a new valve body with it in the car i know). anyways after i take off friday, being told it would be done the week. he never answered the phone, finally calls me 2 weeks later telling me its done, and he did find the 2-3 valve stuck. so last night i stay up till 2 am putting it all back together for the 2nd time....get to quart 12 and hear fluid hitting the ground. its leaking out the bottom of the bellhousing under the converter, at least a quart or 2, then stopped. like the pump gasket is damaged. or the pump itself. so now he messed it up worst than it was. i cannot trust him to go through it again b/c he is obviously a dishonest piece of trash that does slow, horrible work, i'm now out 24 hours of labor, and i am gonna have to pull it again to address the pump leak, not to mention i'm probably up to $100 in trans fluid on the ground.... im so infuriated i dont even know what the next step to take is. i feel like i need to call this guy and let him know what i think of his work, and demand my worthless 250 i had given him. should i call the better business b? a lawyer? i mean i am a level of pi$$ed i havent seen in a long time.

12 quarts seems like a lot especially if there was some already in the converter. Was the car running as you were filling it? If you had too much fluid in it it may be coming out the vent because its overfilled.

12 is 4 too many????? last time i posted on here about the 2-3 shift issue ppl were telling me to put in 14!!? so what is actual capacity? my converter stall speed did go to hell though (3700-2800).....maybe i just am overfilled...and i'm just assuming the trans shop screwed me again....8 quarts in a torqueflight??? is this seriously correct?

12 is 4 too many????? last time i posted on here about the 2-3 shift issue ppl were telling me to put in 14!!? so what is actual capacity? my converter stall speed did go to hell though (3700-2800).....maybe i just am overfilled...and i'm just assuming the trans shop screwed me again....8 quarts in a torqueflight??? is this seriously correct?

I just arbitrarily grabbed my old 70 shop manual, and it shows a variation of between 16 1/2 and 19 PINTS (not quarts). So as much as 9 1/2 quarts, and of course those figures were for full size TQs and stock size pans

Only $250 lost? Most tranny shops take customers for $2000 without doing much useful. No excuse for not opening the valve body, knowing the metal shavings problem. Easy to find info on where the balls should go, or just take photos.

I went to a CA Cottman for a free inspection after my 727 still showed "morning sickness" after a rebuild at a GA Cottman shop just before I moved. They tossed a piece of broken cork gasket in the pan to show me the "clutches were failing". I left quick and reported them. They had ~40 cars sitting outside, probably hostages they suckered.

Learn to do it yourself. Pretty straightforward with the shop manual. I rebuilt a 413 and 604 this year. The 413 is the FWD version of the 904. I bought it used cheap and it lasted 3 years. It had a "Certified Transmission" label. I found they had put two thin steel plates in place of one thicker one to add space, meaning they must have put it together with worn clutch plates, just enough to last thru the __ month warranty. They left off the output nut retainers, which is probably why they loosened and destroyed a bearing. Someone paid big bucks for a crap job. The 604 was even easier (no bands). Just need a few special tools like snap-ring pliers.

I just arbitrarily grabbed my old 70 shop manual, and it shows a variation of between 16 1/2 and 19 PINTS (not quarts). So as much as 9 1/2 quarts, and of course those figures were for full size TQs and stock size pans

so u figure an 8 inch converter, deep pan, outboard trans cooler...and i'm still probably 2-3 quarts overfilled?....would explain why FootBrake stall went down...maybe the extra fluid is preventing the weights from slipping from having to slosh through all that fluid.

Ah, did you ever check the fluid level while idling in neutral? Or did you just keep pouring fluid in it until it ran out? That would answer a lot of questions.

Ah, did you ever check the fluid level while idling in neutral? Or did you just keep pouring fluid in it until it ran out? That would answer a lot of questions.

well the stick had alot on it from having just been filled. so i did check it, but didnt feel that was the most accurate of readings. apparently i'm needing to switch this post from kicking the door in on a tranny shop to getting a good solid answer on how much fluid to start with in this thing..... like i said before when i posted the 2/3 shift issue i had people telling me that i needed 14 quarts!!! now i post this and get told that 8-9 will do it....i'll have to check the stick today now that all has settled. and see if i need to drain 2-3 more quarts.

thanks for the info as always everyone

put 6 qts in it...start in neutral..and check the fluid and add as needed...

usually a bone dry converter...trans...with cooler and deep pan...will take about 10 qts...but ...dont dump 10 qts in it to start with...

First of all,you did not have to pull the transmission the second time.Valve body repairs can be done with transmission installed.
Did you fill the torque convertor with fluid ,or just run it dry, did you spin the convertor,while pushing it in until it clicked three times and went all the way in.You could be leaking from the front seal and convertor may have not seated.
It may also be overfilled.It could be leaking out of the factory vent for the front pump. The vent is located behind and above the converter, in the pump housing.
If it is overfilled it will be way up on the dipstick due to aerating the fluid because the moving parts will be splashing around the extra fluid.
TXDart

put 6 qts in it...start in neutral..and check the fluid and add as needed...

usually a bone dry converter...trans...with cooler and deep pan...will take about 10 qts...but ...dont dump 10 qts in it to start with...

Exactly. Don't get simpler than that. I don't know who told you to put 14 qts. in but I can't imagine anything short of a Motorhome with a big auxiliary cooler needing that much. Doesn't matter though cause you always go by the dipstick anyway, checked in neutral.

As for the POS that did your trans., he's just that, a POS and a crook. But it'd take more bucks to sue him than you'd ever get back. I'd report him to the Better business bureau. Here's their site http://www.bbb.org/

First thing I'd do is get a manual for the year of your application and check the capacaties and spec's yourself and avoid going by someone else's recommendations. Next thing I'd do is drain the thing again and start over by filling it with about 6 qts. and running it until it it warmed up and adding as necessary. Then I'd drive over and request some $$$ back from the idiot who didn't do the work correctly the first time. If you don't at least receive a partial refund, calmly tell the gentleman your feelings on the matter and remind him of your word of mouth advertizing and our 20,000+ membership, then find another Mopar savvy rebuilder...or better yet school yourself on the subject!!! Good luck with your project!!! Geof

I wouldda gone up there and beat both his hands to a pulp with a ball peen hammer. No more buildin transmissions for him.

thanks for all the input and advice guys, i drained almost 4 quarts out and all appears to be ok. a few drips or fluid is all which is probably still from when i overfilled and it vented. yes this guy got an earfull from me and it will be the last trans of mine he ever touches. converter stall went way down but hopefully once some fluid circulates that comes back.

-
Back