NEED HELP ASAP!!! Headlight Switch

-

RDupont01

Reaction score
I am trying to rewire my 73 Dodge Dart Swinger with a apinless wiring harness. I am currently working the dash and have run into an issue. I am trying to plug into my original headlight switch but can not determine what the posts are on the switch. Does anyone have a giagram or any idea how to explain which post is what on the headlight switch?

Thank You!

Robert

I'm guessing you already cut the original colored wiring off the original connector?

You should be able to figure them out.

I may have an old one lying around.

You should be able to identify the circuit breaker feeding the switch

Only one blade will show continuity to that with the switch in "head"

Here's a partial of a '72:

w2llix.jpg

Top left, switch marked B2, wire marked L8-18P is power to switch from tail lamp fuse

Top right, marked D on switch, with three wires leading off, feeds "dimmed" power to panel lamps

Bottom right, marked "inst" on switch, is power feeding IN to switch from instrument fuse

bottom center, marked R on switch, two wires connected, l7-18bk, is power from switch going to parking lamps and tail lamps

Bottom left, marked B1 on switch, L1-16BK goes to main in harness splice. This is UN fused power coming into switch which feeds the switch mounted breaker for the headlamps. I see no reason, if you want, why you could not add a fuse in that circuit. If you use headlight relays, use a small fuse, because you will only have relay coil power on this lead

Center marked H on switch is what else, switched power which goes to the center of your dimmer switch, feeding on to the headlamps.

If you find the thread a few days back involving Abodyjoe (I think) there was a COMPLETE 72 service manual posted, which is where I posted this diagram from.

posted here:

You'd be wise to download it.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=service+manual

Thanks! I think I can figure that one out. Curious if you would know why when I turn on my blinker that all my after market guages sweep with each blink?

First off....find a wiring diagram on ebay OR buy a manual that has one in it.....Painless aint painless if you dont know how to wire each of the stock switches and what feeds what from there....... if your dash / IP was previously wired by someone else DO NOT TRUST IT take it out and do it yourself using the instructions from the gauge manufacturer ( typically avail online at their website) then tie that into the wiring to the sending units and lighting according to how the switches get wired...... trying to do all that without color codes and mapping and a diagram as to what goes where will make you insane..... like the stooges trying to wire the house....turn on the lights and the fixture fills with water!!! DO YOURSELF A FAVOR GET A MANUAL that has a diagram and a color code key

-
Back