Need help perfecting the budget build hemi swap

-
You're right, just because it's a driver doesn't mean it can't look good. Wheels and tires look very nice.

By the way, what's that white stuff on the ground? ;)

Regards,

Joe Dokes

So a 73 Roadrunner power bulge hood isn't in the cards. I mean I could pay the full price for a 2010 Charger hood, and dissect it, and hopefully bond it on, but that's a lot of maybe's. I could try to adapt a different scoop to my application, or make one. Back in shop class, one assignment was to make a dust pan from sheet metal. I could bond it to the hood with Fusor.
No matter what I decide to do, I don't see the old school hood scoops being appropriate for a pro touring inspired car. The T/A challenger, and 340 Duster scoops are nice, the Hemi, and 6 pack too drag racing, and all of them are too cookie cutter. It's all been done before, six thousand ways to Sunday. The only purpose of a scoop in my case, is to clear my intake, and to cover the hole under the little scoop the previous guy slapped on the hood. ( I'm tired of photo shopping it out. ) So I'm thinking streamline, and simple. Sort of a shallow Hemi style, with devil horns at the opening.

Attachments

• project duster Dec262013.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 436
This is rendering #2. Since this one is cardboard, that I later colored in photo shop, I still intend to shape the front ears a bit to give it an SRT sort of look.

Attachments

• DSC_scoop2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 418
I hate building braided hose. I don't have the proper tools to do it, and somehow I always end up cutting my palms with wire.
The exhaust has to wait until I can figure out why the speedo gear isn't seated correctly, the torque converter is bolted up, and the shifter cable is attached. The extreme cold sort of make those jobs tough to accomplish, but next week is supposed to be nice. The exhaust on the 69 Barracuda could have been reused, but the collectors were rusted, and I used 2 race bullets in front of the axle, and 2 Moroso spiral mufflers aft. Although it had a nice quiet rumble. That configuration was possible only because the fuel cell was in the trunk. The duster has a stock gas tank.

Attachments

• pypes.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 431
  • tubes.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 426
I like to think it beautiful Caribbean white sand, for my tropical paradise. Or it's fire extinguish foam, my neighbors will only trust me to an extent.
You're right, just because it's a driver doesn't mean it can't look good. Wheels and tires look very nice.

By the way, what's that white stuff on the ground? ;)

Regards,

Joe Dokes

My opinion is drilled rotors, are like fancy fishing lures, they catch more fishermen, than fish. But slotted rotors make sense, and I haven't seen any complaints about cracking.

Attachments

• DSC_0105-2.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 400
Braided hose requires a cut-off wheel and duct tape, no alternative in my experience.
I'm not trying to correct you when I say this, but in addition to the cut off, and the duct tape, ( which my wife's cat carries around the house in his teeth.) a vise makes it easy too. EXCEPT MY BUDDY MIKE WANTED TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF HE CUT A HP PROBOOK APART WITH A CHAINSAW, WHICH TURNED INTO THE VISE GETTING RIPPED OFF THE STEEL TOP TABLE, AND THE CORNER OF THE TABLE IS NO LONGER THERE, BUT IT IS ON THE BOTTOM OF THE VISE !!!!! This is after he put a tire on a rim, and than filled it with hair spray, put a lighter to it, and gave it a swift kick. I think our tire reached the moon before China's Chang 3 lunar lander, or Amazon's idea of U.A.V.'s . Screw them. There's a lot of nothing good happening around here.

Attachments

• morgue.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 399
Braided hose requires a cut-off wheel and duct tape, no alternative in my experience.
Somebody gave me a fuel feed line for a Holley carb that doesn't have metering blocks, so it's a bit short. Is there any way to remove the fittings from the hoses ? Just to have those spare fittings. Or is that piece of hose junk now ? Thanks.

Attachments

• duelfeed.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 393
Sure simply unscrew them. The fittings can be completely disassembled, you can simply put a longer piece of braided hose between the two fittings. Cut the braided hose by wrapping it in duct tape and using a cut off wheel.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Sure simply unscrew them. The fittings can be completely disassembled, you can simply put a longer piece of braided hose between the two fittings. Cut the braided hose by wrapping it in duct tape and using a cut off wheel.

Regards,

Joe Dokes
Thanks, but you know how after you cut the hose, you shove the hose onto the fitting. The fittings that are shoved onto the hose are toast, right ?
Have you ever noticed that I make things too difficult ?

So here's the modified version of the hood scoop, with out the photoshop. I just need to center it better, and bring the hood to the shop for paint matching.

Attachments

• DSC_0110-3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 371
No you can take them apart. If you look at what you have and remove the T piece from each end you will see two pieces left on the hose. The longer part the hose goes inside and then on top of that another hex nut. Using two wrenches, one on the hex nut and the other on the piece the hose goes over you can unscrew the hex nut right out of the hose.

No you can take them apart. If you look at what you have and remove the T piece from each end you will see two pieces left on the hose. The longer part the hose goes inside and then on top of that another hex nut. Using two wrenches, one on the hex nut and the other on the piece the hose goes over you can unscrew the hex nut right out of the hose.
Cool ! cool ! cool ! The more parts I get, the better. Once, I tended to do lots of stuff twice. It's amazing how I can be sing the words to a song I haven't heard in 30 years, while standing in front of the refrigerator, with the door wide open, thinking, " What the hell was I doing here ?" " Oh yeah, looking for my car keys." " I'm pretty sure I won't find them here."

I was reviewing the photos I took yesterday to see which ones would be good for my forum thread. When low, and behold, I almost spit my coffee across the room. There's a Sasquatch making out with a naked chick in my yard. I'm trying to contact Discovery Channel as I post this.

Attachments

• Bigfoot hood scoop.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 347
I was reviewing the photos I took yesterday to see which ones would be good for my forum thread. When low, and behold, I almost spit my coffee across the room. There's a Sasquatch making out with a naked chick in my yard. I'm trying to contact Discovery Channel as I post this.

That is FUNNY. It actually does look like that! I swear you should post it on some silly bigfoot websites as proof, and see peoples reaction.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

So I Finished the hood scoop, and the hood is currently sitting in the back of the body shop waiting for a bit of smoothing out, and body color. I told him to take his time, as their saying the next 10 days the temperature wont be above freezing.
I'm trying to make the grate on the scoop look retro early 60's road racer. The center is convex, and the wings at each side are concave. It was a ***** to bend like that.

Attachments

• 1513722_657830124280163_10578054_n.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 323
  • 1560675_657778074285368_122680854_n.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 321
Gary your backyard is really "Squatchy" this time of year. And I gotta tell ya, you have got to be one of the most talented automobile restoration experts ive ever seen! Taking that Duster from the rusted hulk in your avatar to the masterpiece it is now, friggin amazing mang!

-
Back