Need Help With Slant Six!

-

Cullen

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought my first car and I decided to go with a classic. I bought a 1973 Plymouth gold duster. It has a 225 slant six with a holly single barrel carb. It starts and runs perfect while in neutral/park. When I put it in gear and press the throttle it dies out at about 10-20mpg but then works just fine. After the car has been driven a while it doesn't die when giving it throttle but sounds like it is drowning out. Any suggestions?

choke sticking? Look at choke plate when warm, should be vertical. Pump shot would bog on acceleration, low fuel/low output setting would bog after you gassed it for a few seconds.

A rich problem would be way worse as it gets hot. Which kind of points me to lean. But you check most of the same stuff anyways.

Get the three books described in this thread as quickly as you can. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread, which also has a link to the valve adjustment procedure. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Your car being a '73, it came equipped with a primitive emission control device called an OSAC valve. This device is located on the right (passenger) side of the firewall in the engine compartment. It has one hose going to the carburetor and one hose going to the distributor. Bypass it by running hose directly from the carburetor to the distributor (take the OSAC valve out of that vacuum line) and even if you do nothing else, no other tune-up work or anything, your driveability and acceleration will get a lot better and your hesitation will be greatly reduced or eliminated.

If you have the Holley 1920 carb, they are notorious for running lean at idle. The sealed metering block inside gets clogged, and most rebuilds don't address that. Some know how to blow out the passages. Plagued me for decades in my 1969 Dart until I finally got a good 1920.

Get the three books described in this thread as quickly as you can. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread, which also has a link to the valve adjustment procedure. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

Your car being a '73, it came equipped with a primitive emission control device called an OSAC valve. This device is located on the right (passenger) side of the firewall in the engine compartment. It has one hose going to the carburetor and one hose going to the distributor. Bypass it by running hose directly from the carburetor to the distributor (take the OSAC valve out of that vacuum line) and even if you do nothing else, no other tune-up work or anything, your driveability and acceleration will get a lot better and your hesitation will be greatly reduced or eliminated.
Thanks for every ones advice, but I tried slantsixdan's advice first and it worked so far.

-
Back