Need top end advice

-
Then thinking about the heads isn’t really helping.
Ported RPMs (as Pittsburg said) will get you there - provided the cam is able to take advantage of the port.
W2s/W5s/Indys also ported, will work too.
W2 stuff is all unique so you have to buy head assemblies, rockers, intake, and headers to fit them, and get the porting done. Iron costs more btw.

I’d ditch the idea of hydraulic roller. either run a flat tappet solid or solid roller (done properly). Port the top end you have, and you’ll be fine. But you will need a cam choice to make it all work. Too small won’t work regardless of the porting or head flow.
I have solid flat tappet now in my 340 but after this post looking at solid roller. I have 1.6 roller rockers on my current heads so I'll take that into consideration. Cam size doesn't matter to me , the car is a stick so idle away!! Thanks for the knowledge!

I have solid flat tappet now in my 340 but after this post looking at solid roller. I have 1.6 roller rockers on my current heads so I'll take that into consideration. Cam size doesn't matter to me , the car is a stick so idle away!! Thanks for the knowledge!
Yeah- then have the heads ported, the lifter bores bushed, and run a solid roller around [email protected] and close to .600 lift and you’ll be fine.

Thank you for your info. So if I go solid roller , it will make that much more of a difference? What is a good SBM cam company you recommend?
Each step up in cam style, IE; HFT, SFT, HR, SR will make a little more power over the last. How much power is a loaded gun unanswerable question.

There is no one company better than the next for any engine and even more so for a SBM. That’s ridiculous on the highest level.

Get to know about camshafts or trust a grinders suggestion.

The question of what cam company and/or what specs on a cam should I use will only get you 10,000 replies with 10,000 different answers.

Don’t ask the question, you’ll leave only way WAY more confused.

Is there a certain company you recommend for SBM cams?
I’ve always liked Comp for value, quality, and good lobe catalogs. That being said I’d suggest you start a relationship with whomever will be porting the heads and have them spec you a cam too. They may have a favorite, or proven combo, and/or have better access to them. Cam cores are hard to find these days.

Before settling on cam specs I'd get the head locked down 1st, since it's a street car your gonna want enough port flow to make 550 hp with a relatively streetable cam probably in the 240-250 or so, once your head is ported and know what your working you can narrow down the cam specs to get the job done.

If you have all the parts to run the W2’s, I’d sell those edelbrock heads so fast my underwear would have to catch a fast train to catch up to me.

Use the money from the sale of the Edelbrocks to do SOME porting to the W2’s.

FWIW....I've put this info out there before on my avatar but I'll repeat it here:

408, 10.5 cr, 251/[email protected] SFT, .560-ish lift, mildly ported Eddie RPM's, 850 holley, unported Super Victor, 727 with a 5000 stall conv, 4.10 gear: [email protected] pers best so far. Runs on pump 93 on the street and track.

That seems to meet your performance goals. But you can add performance from there if you add more compression, more cam, and more porting to the heads. If I had to build it again, I'd up the cam about 8-10 degrees more duration as these strokers eat duration. I'd stay SFT as they are very simple and maintenance so far has been almost nothing (roller cam should increase performance though).

Cam company? I prefer Bullet as you can pick the profile and how aggressive you want it to be (lobe profile based on lifter dia).

Hope this helps!!

Last edited:
Is there a certain company you recommend for SBM cams?

My son ran several 6.54 (10.30’s) with ported Edelbrock heads, open chamber, stock stroke 360, ported Victor340, flat top pistons, 727 transmission, 4:10 gears, @3200 pounds. He’s running on alcohol but this combo would run on pump gas. Small roller cam.

IMG_6193.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg

FWIW....I've put this info out there before on my avatar but I'll repeat it here:

408, 10.5 cr, 251/[email protected] SFT, .560-ish lift, mildly ported Eddie RPM's, 850 holley, unported Super Victor, 727 with a 5000 stall conv, 4.10 gear: [email protected] pers best so far. Runs on pump 93 on the street and track.

That seems to meet your performance goals. But you can add performance from there if you add more compression, more cam, and more porting to the heads. If I had to build it again, I'd up the cam about 8-10 degrees more duration as these strokers eat duration. I'd stay SFT as they are very simple and maintenance so far has been almost nothing (roller cam should increase performance though).

Cam company? I prefer Bullet as you can pick the profile and how aggressive you want it to be (lobe profile based on lifter dia).

Hope this helps!!
Damn , thats impressive!! so I have a regular Victor. Is there a big jump going to the super? What are you shifting at?

Damn , thats impressive!! so I have a regular Victor. Is there a big jump going to the super? What are you shifting at?
I don't know about impressive as there are others WAY faster than mine. I was just responding to what you said you run today and what you'd like to run. I will repeat here that you're gonna love a stroker motor. The big torque is just such a hoot!

As for the intakes, someone like @pittsburghracer racer could tell you better on intakes. I had the Super Victor, the ports aligned perfectly to the heads, so I used it. I have an untouched Eddie Airgap also but have not seen a reason to swap to it. "Oh, but the Airgap will make more torque." Well, this motor cleared 500#-ft at 3500 rpm so I decided that was good enough.

I stage the car at 2000 rpm, it flashes to 5000, and off we go! Hang on cause the 1-2 shift comes quickly at 6100-6200 rpm. I do the same for the 2-3 shift. I've shifted as high as 6700 and it runs about the same (or a tad slower) so no reason to flog the motor.

If I were you, I'd use the intake you have. You already have it and they're easy enough to swap out later if you think you want more/different. And with your manual trans, and the torque these things make, you will have a smile across your face as long as the 2 black streaks on the road behind your car!

Wishing you success!

I don't know about impressive as there are others WAY faster than mine. I was just responding to what you said you run today and what you'd like to run. I will repeat here that you're gonna love a stroker motor. The big torque is just such a hoot!

As for the intakes, someone like @pittsburghracer racer could tell you better on intakes. I had the Super Victor, the ports aligned perfectly to the heads, so I used it. I have an untouched Eddie Airgap also but have not seen a reason to swap to it. "Oh, but the Airgap will make more torque." Well, this motor cleared 500#-ft at 3500 rpm so I decided that was good enough.

I stage the car at 2000 rpm, it flashes to 5000, and off we go! Hang on cause the 1-2 shift comes quickly at 6100-6200 rpm. I do the same for the 2-3 shift. I've shifted as high as 6700 and it runs about the same (or a tad slower) so no reason to flog the motor.

If I were you, I'd use the intake you have. You already have it and they're easy enough to swap out later if you think you want more/different. And with your manual trans, and the torque these things make, you will have a smile across your face as long as the 2 black streaks on the road behind your car!

Wishing you success!
I honestly can't wait!! Thank you!!

-
Back