New!!!1964-66 Cuda "Hydraulic" Trunk Lid Prop Rod Assembly!!!

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here!! As a member of the 66 Cuda lovers club, I would like to share with my early Cuda compadres a forgotten item I have on my car that has now resurfaced and is available again!!! It's a handy dandy hydraulic trunk lid prop rod that mounts in the OE location (for 66, but works on 64-5) and makes it very easy to open the trunk lid and hold it in place.

I've had this on my car for a number of years now and never thought about until yesterday when I was checking something in the trunk!! I bought it through ebay way back when, but I messaged the guy I got it from yesterday and low and behold, he still makes the kit and is willing to offer them up to anybody who needs one. I'm waiting on another message with his preferred contact method and the price, and I'll pass it along to y'all right here if you are interested.

I love mine, and highly recommend it!! Happy spring!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_4785.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,065
  • 100_4786.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,018
  • 100_4787.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 100_4788.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 952
Looks good, must also be less noisy. It should also protect from over travel due to a gust of wind. The wind caught mine, while loading the trunk, I had fear the hinges were damaged. I was lucky, they survived.

Looks like it prevents the "trunk" bulge from the OEM hook. Good lookin' out!

I've got the stock one for my 65 but that looks to be a better option.

Definitely get the contact info... Been eye-balling doing my own version on Jake's 65... Maybe as a kit it'll be same $ and less fabricating....

Howdy all, cosgig here!! As a member of the 66 Cuda lovers club, I would like to share with my early Cuda compadres a forgotten item I have on my car that has now resurfaced and is available again!!! It's a handy dandy hydraulic trunk lid prop rod that mounts in the OE location (for 66, but works on 64-5) and makes it very easy to open the trunk lid and hold it in place.

I've had this on my car for a number of years now and never thought about until yesterday when I was checking something in the trunk!! I bought it through ebay way back when, but I messaged the guy I got it from yesterday and low and behold, he still makes the kit and is willing to offer them up to anybody who needs one. I'm waiting on another message with his preferred contact method and the price, and I'll pass it along to y'all right here if you are interested.

I love mine, and highly recommend it!! Happy spring!! Geof

Very cool Geof!!! If dads 66 wasn't restored to stock that would be a great addition :glasses7:

BTW Geof, there is something missing in pic 1,3, & 4...anybody see what it is? :-\"

Hey, don't be lookin' at my bolts!!! Actually, I haven't been in the trunk of the 66 for at least a couple years, and completely forgot about those little details. That and a few other bolts were on my changeout list, but just never got to it!!

As for the prop rod contact info, I'm still waiting for him to message back, but if anybody wants to get a hold of him, you can message him through ebay. His ID there is "mtark" and his name is Mike. Just tell him that you're interested in the prop rod kit and he'll message you back!! As soon as I hear from him, I'll post any contact info he provides, including the price as I asked for that too!! Geof

Interesting! I've been using a 2 x 4 all these years...

OK, I've been using my trunk prop rod wrong all these years then. I thought it went on the truck lid by the drip rail and the hole near the edge of the lid. Anyone got a picture of how the factory one actual goes? And thank you for the info on the newer style. I remember them on ebay and it did not look right to me. Shown "on a car" is better.
Thanks,
Joe

Thanks for posting this information about the trunk prop. I just contacted Mike and ordered one from him for my 65 Barracuda. Have a original prop but spring worn. This will be better.

The trunk lid prop from mike was 125. Including shipping. Havnt put it on yet (sore back) but looks easy. Good directions. Comes with fittings and hardware. Too bad wasted cash on a origional but this one will be better

Whats the part number on the lift? They are ~$25 at a good automotive store but you need to know a few specs, ie. open/closed weights and both lengths. My body shop replaced the lifts on my LS400 hood with heavier ones and they actually bent the hood when they tried to close it. Wish I could have been there to see that happen. 8-O

I bought one 8-9 years ago for my car, it is a nice set up but the shock lasted about 4 years and wouldn't hold the lid up anymore. I did a little research to replace the shock and found out all the parts were made for camper shells.

There are no numbers on the replacement strut I have, bye the way I am going to be selling my original strut as I have no use for it. Its in good condition but has a weak spring that will need replaced. will probably ask 50 and post a picture. Paid more for it from Wildcat parts.

-
Back