New 66 Dart owner, wanting to swap /6

-

KevinB

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm taking possession of a 1966 Dart GT with slant 6 motor on Sunday. The car is from a family member in another city, so I don't have a whole lot of information about it, other than it is an auto tranny and I believe it has power steering.

I am really wanting to put a 318 in there and have seen the notes regarding the various tweaks necessary such as throttle cable, oil filter 90 degree adapter, and the exhaust manifold issue.

I have found locally a 318 with 904 tranny from a 68 Coronet in a semi rebuild state and have a few questions.

My biggest question is the exhaust. I know about the TTI headers that work with this year dart on a 318, but that's a lot of money. I have also seen the spitfires made by Harold, but it seems like those may not be made anymore? It also says on the website that the spitfires don't work with power steering...is this still true?

I started looking into using a manifold, as I don't need this motor to make a LOT of power, and there are some options on eBay that say they work for a 66 Dart with a 273 motor. Would they also work for a 318?

Really just trying to find out what ALL my manifold/header options are for a 318 in a '66 with power steering.

In the event the car turns out to not have power steering, would buying headers or a manifold for a ps car still work?

Is there a specific radiator someone could link to that would for for this '68 318 motor in my dart?

Lastly, the goal for the car is to be around 225 horsepower. Is that achievable with using exhaust manifolds assuming I put on a new intake, 4 barrel, and a cam?

I'm excited about sharing the car with you guys and will post photos as soon as I get back from vegas in a week. Thanks!

yes the 273 manifolds will bolt right up...i have a64 valiant with 318 mag and use them...have 21/4 duals with cherry bomb..steel pack.. loud but sounds good..you can use your 6 cly radiator..i did with air con..no over heat..stock 318 mag.. efi....also you will need a center link from v8 a body... centerlink has a drop in it to clear oil pan

why not go with a 5.2 magnum? you get a 318 with roller lifters and modern heads, they made 230hp as they were, and every junk yard should have one.

why not go with a 5.2 magnum? you get a 318 with roller lifters and modern heads, they made 230hp as they were, and every junk yard should have one.

Isn't the magnum fuel injected? That was my main reason not to, I didn't want to mess with a computer.

yes the 273 manifolds will bolt right up...i have a64 valiant with 318 mag and use them...have 21/4 duals with cherry bomb..steel pack.. loud but sounds good..you can use your 6 cly radiator..i did with air con..no over heat..stock 318 mag.. efi....also you will need a center link from v8 a body... centerlink has a drop in it to clear oil pan

I have yet to source that part, but I have all the others. If I can't find it I read that you can notch the oil pan for clearance

I have seen six cylinder cars with the V8 centerlink. You might get lucky and have one of those cars. Otherwise kinda of hard to find.

Just check to make sure those headers fit with your power steering otherwise you're stuck with the iron manifold. They aren't too hard to come by. I have seen those and the drop V8 center link on here in the last month. You just gotta be quick. Dennis

Isn't the magnum fuel injected? That was my main reason not to, I didn't want to mess with a computer.

Yes, some magnums were TBI, others had MPFI. There are manifolds out there for putting a carburetor on a magnum, Mopar sells one.

My 65 Signet started out life as a /6. Now its a 273, late model 904, big bolt pattern brakes, 8 3/4 rear sure gripe. 205/70/15...... It can be done!!! I have a B&M shifter in it now. Looking to go back to the stock shifter with a Schumacher conversion kit.

Oh I also put a 66 Barracuda Dash in it..... all gauges no idiot lights.....

Is there a specific radiator someone could link to that would for for this '68 318 motor in my dart?

If the 68 motor still has the cast iron water pump (exists on the driver's side) I would try and find a 65 or 66 V8 radiator which will be a drop-in. I think the 67 - 69 radiators with the lower hose nipple on the driver's side to match the water pump) are taller and might not fit too well.

-
Back