New AFB Day!

-

65cudaVR

Early A-Bodier
Reaction score
Ok, so it's an Edelbrock 1406...

View attachment IMG_2692.jpg

I got it from Summit Racing. It did come with a free Air Cleaner and fender protector! (although the fender protector is fairly crappy);

View attachment IMG_2694.jpg

I know some people scoff at the AFB design, but for the average street performance enthusiast I think it's more than adequate.

Anyway, it is actually replacing the tired, old Carter AFB on my 65 Barracuda's '72 360, which I am desperately trying to get back on the road before it falls apart from neglect - due to "marital bliss" (you all know what I'm talking about), so I chose the easiest, quickest and hopefully most successful approach to getting it back on the road fast.

Wish me luck please!...

I will have to admit, I am thinking of swapping out my Original AFB, been restored, to a Eddie AFB. I am having a SMALL idle issue. Been trying to nail it down. These new "AFB" are usually bolt in and go. of course you can tune them if you need to. But they run out of the box well.

Check in the back of the carb, in the middle of the base for a pipe plug hole. If it's not plugged, you need to go get a plug for it or use a pipe threaded nipple to plumb the PCV to it. Our Eddy did not have that out of the box and we had to add it...

Or else it will be a big vacuum leak if you start it with the hole open....

I will have to admit, I am thinking of swapping out my Original AFB, been restored, to a Eddie AFB. I am having a SMALL idle issue. Been trying to nail it down. These new "AFB" are usually bolt in and go. of course you can tune them if you need to. But they run out of the box well.

My Barracuda sat for awhile and the entire fuel system was shot, so I replaced everything; fuel tank, sending unit, hard and rubber lines, filter and fuel pump.

I tried rebuilding the AFB (it's on its 3rd rebuild I think) but something isn't quite right. I'm sure it's just some gunk blocking a tiny little port, but I figured I'd just start with an all new unit so I can move on to other things (I am also replacing most of the ignition system as well).

Besides that, I just rebuilt the 727 (with a new 2500 stall torque converter, TranGo shift kit and high capacity pan), my rear axle is moaning so I need to think about fixing that sooner or later, my tires have dry rot and my electrical system has gremlins... the list goes on and on.

That's why I'm just replacing everything that's "easiest" for now in the hopes that I'll at least see a little more light at the end of the tunnel soon.

`

Check in the back of the carb, in the middle of the base for a pipe plug hole. If it's not plugged, you need to go get a plug for it ....

Thanks, it was the first thing I did! :thumbup:

Edit: Sorry if you saw the ":finga:" I posted earlier - I thought the little guy was giving you a "thumbs up" not "the finger"! Honest!
`

I had my 66 dart back on the road after a complete teardown, not one screw bolt was left un removed. Now Im redoing some things, not 100 percent happy with the way I did it the first time.

nothing wrong with an eddy for a unmodified motor. I have had issues trying to get them right with modified engines. Then I run a holley.

Just an FYI:

I have since discovered that I need to get a "Throttle Lever Adapter" in order for the 1406 to work with my 360's linkage (I actually anticipated such a problem)...

View attachment Summit 1481 carb adaptor C.jpg

The Edelbrock 1481 adapter works with Mopar and Ford applications, which seems to imply the 1406 carb is designed for Chebbies I guess.

My old Carter AFB came stock with the proper Mopar linkage, so I never had to mess with it before:

View attachment 1406 vs AFB 1.jpg
View attachment 1406 vs AFB 2.jpg
View attachment 1406 vs AFB 3.jpg

I suppose I could just swap the linkages, but since this side (the side I need to hook up the throttle cable) is riveted to a shaft that goes through the entire carb body and is also connected to the throttle plates... well, I decided it was worth the extra delay ordering the new part rather than trying to do some half-sassed cobble-job swap - plus there are some small differences between the two and I really don't want to take any unnecessary chances as far as incompatibility goes...

`

Yep, everything bolts up to a Chevy. Mopars always need some kind of modification or adapter! Most Holleys too need a bracket similar to the one you need.

Just an FYI:

I have since discovered that I need to get a "Throttle Lever Adapter" in order for the 1406 to work with my 360's linkage (I actually anticipated such a problem)...

View attachment 1714881756

The Edelbrock 1481 adapter works with Mopar and Ford applications, which seems to imply the 1406 carb is designed for Chebbies I guess.

My old Carter AFB came stock with the proper Mopar linkage, so I never had to mess with it before:

View attachment 1714881752
View attachment 1714881753
View attachment 1714881754

I suppose I could just swap the linkages, but since this side (the side I need to hook up the throttle cable) is riveted to a shaft that goes through the entire carb body and is also connected to the throttle plates... well, I decided it was worth the extra delay ordering the new part rather than trying to do some half-sassed cobble-job swap - plus there are some small differences between the two and I really don't want to take any unnecessary chances as far as incompatibility goes...

`

Is that a 9636? If so would you consider selling it?

I feel the Edelbrock love also. I've had a few reasonably hopped up motors (a 273 and 2x 360s) each with an Eddie AFB and was always able to get a sweet tune on them pretty easily by way of installing a nice AEM air/fuel ratio gauge in a pod. I like that they never leak, hold their tune forever, and are very easy to swap jets and needles. For me, on a street car, reliability is everything. Maybe they aren't as good as the Holley on very hopped up engines but they are very reliable.

-
Back