New Dodge Challengers

-

Jim68Barracuda

Jim68Barracuda
Reaction score
Does anyone on the forum own a new Challenger? If so, what's your opinion.
My wife and I have pretty much agreed that the new Challenger will be her next car. She is pretty cool as she likes hot cars too. Her current car is a 2003 Gran Prix Limited Edition GTP. Yes its supercharged and it looks very cool for a GM product.
I am leaning towards a 5.7L Hemi in her. I love the power it could put out. Any opinions? Is the 6.1L better?

You are talking R/T vs SRT8. The SRT8 is faster but you pay for that extra speed.

The regular R/T is a fine car and probably better for "Everyday" use.

If you go to Dodge.com

R/T starts at $31,500.........16 city/25 hwy

SRT8 starts at $43,600.......13 city/19 hwy

My pop has an R/T classic 6spd and loves it. I will say it does drive nice and for a new car it goes nicely, also hard to beat the 28mpg on a road trip.

DSC_1161.JPG640.jpg

My Dad has a 2009 V6 which does really well on the wallet. It kind of reminds me of my 72 Charger looking in the mirrors and looking out the windshield! Handles very well! Wish I could afford one atm!

i work at the local dodge dealer and have had tons of chances to drive them. I love them!! If it were me i'd be buying a challenger classic with a 6 spd. Don't buy an automatic they are geared funny and don't have much get up and go but the 6 spd.s do, that's just been my experience. The SRT's are cool and damn fast but really, for a daily driver it's just not conveniant, first they need premium fuel all the time, and obviosly they're much more expensive then the R/T. I like the regular R/T but they're a little plain, i'd definatly go with a challenger classic. If you go with anything other then an SRT i'd also suggest putting in an eibach lowering kit. We've put these in nearly every non SRT challenger we've sold and nothing but good comments on the kit, plus i alsways thought they sat a little high anyways.

I love my R/T. I keep seeing a purple one but it's a classic (not sure, maybe they all were). I like the white accent but not really into the classic part of it. That color is sweet.

My wife has an 07 Charger R/T 5.7 hemi. Its pretty quick for a 4 door grocery getter and she'll spank a 4.6 GT with no trouble. If I was ordering a new Chally for myself I think I would be looking towards the 6.1.

Good friend of mine just bought the '10 classic r/t in b5 blue 6-speed..he drove the srt also,and thought there wasn't much difference powerwise certainly not worth the extra coin..me i don't like em',think they're ugly...

Good friend of mine just bought the '10 classic r/t in b5 blue 6-speed..he drove the srt also,and thought there wasn't much difference powerwise certainly not worth the extra coin..me i don't like em',think they're ugly...

i agree. they are fugly. and i also agree from what have read the srt isn't worth the extra money unless your road course racing with it. ...etc..

i work at the local dodge dealer and have had tons of chances to drive them. I love them!! If it were me i'd be buying a challenger classic with a 6 spd. Don't buy an automatic they are geared funny and don't have much get up and go but the 6 spd.s do, that's just been my experience. The SRT's are cool and damn fast but really, for a daily driver it's just not conveniant, first they need premium fuel all the time, and obviosly they're much more expensive then the R/T. I like the regular R/T but they're a little plain, i'd definatly go with a challenger classic. If you go with anything other then an SRT i'd also suggest putting in an eibach lowering kit. We've put these in nearly every non SRT challenger we've sold and nothing but good comments on the kit, plus i alsways thought they sat a little high anyways.

was reading a few posts at challeneger talk yesterday.

they were saying something about o-rings blowing out on a repeated basis on the shifter of the stick cars.

the 6 speeds getting a funky smell inside. kinda like a sulfer smell at a certian load or rpm. may or may not be related to a check valve on the rear vent.

noisy rear ends from day one on the cars and toasted rear end fluid.

you come across any of this stuff yet?

Don't buy an automatic they are geared funny and don't have much get up and go but the 6 spd.s do, that's just been my experience.

seen the autos going high 13's with no mods. not sure what gear they had or aval. on them though. also hear the stick cars have a bad wheel hop problem at the track. you hear anything about that?

For the 10K difference, you could put a LOT of extras into the 5.7 car.
Insurance will probably be much better in the 5.7 car.
5.7 has MDS so better MPG.

I am too much of a car guy. I would rather buy the 5.7 and tweak it a bit, (Long tube headers, full premium exhaust, plus intake and computer) then own a stock 6.1 Sure the 6.1 is fast, but I prefer modified over stock....

For the price, you could buy a classic...and have it appreciate in value...I really like what another dude on this forum did..he planted a 69 charger rt on a nearly new charger frame..have the looks and complete reliability..Ian.

i just drove a buds 09 5.7 6 speed it hauls a_ _ & stops & turns too...i'm going to get one soon as i can..also the 5.7 you can get an unlimited lifetime bumper to bumper warranty..you only can get a 100,000 mi on the 6.1..i think that what he said....he said that his gets 30mpg on long road trips...he's put over 20,000 mi on his so far & no problems.. he said the saleman said are you going to take this thing home & put it in the garage...he said hell no i'm hittin the road and when this thing has 500,000 mi you guys can put a new engine in it...GRIN !!!!

I have an R/T 6 speed. Very nice car, solid, noise free(except for the exhaust note) plenty of power and 28 mpg highway. It still takes premium fuel though, like I care. The 6.1 would have been cool with the Brembo brakes and other upgrades, but it wasn't worth the extra $10,000 to me. They also redesigned the new 5.7 heads for more flow in 2009. Great car no matter what engine you get.

I've got #904 of 6400 from the Limited Edition 2008 run. It's the best damn car I've ever owned. Rides like a luxury car and runs like a rocket ship. Buy one and you will never regret it . You can see CRUSH at her link below. 8)

Does anyone on the forum own a new Challenger? If so, what's your opinion.
My wife and I have pretty much agreed that the new Challenger will be her next car. She is pretty cool as she likes hot cars too. Her current car is a 2003 Gran Prix Limited Edition GTP. Yes its supercharged and it looks very cool for a GM product.
I am leaning towards a 5.7L Hemi in her. I love the power it could put out. Any opinions? Is the 6.1L better?

For the 10K difference, you could put a LOT of extras into the 5.7 car.
Insurance will probably be much better in the 5.7 car.
5.7 has MDS so better MPG.

I am too much of a car guy. I would rather buy the 5.7 and tweak it a bit, (Long tube headers, full premium exhaust, plus intake and computer) then own a stock 6.1 Sure the 6.1 is fast, but I prefer modified over stock....

The stick cars do not have MDS.

My pop has an R/T classic 6spd and loves it. I will say it does drive nice and for a new car it goes nicely, also hard to beat the 28mpg on a road trip.

Great picture. Where was it actually taken? Looks like a good place to take the Coronet for a snapshot.

Took me a little bit but I found the exact spot on google maps, we just turned down a road and went till we found it.

20810 SE 450th St, Enumclaw, WA, United States

-
Back