New Edelbrock intake quality issues

-

dgibby

Reaction score
Maybe I’m being picky but sprung for a new air gap and not too impressed.
Lots of slag and bumps, holes drilled off center and clean up done upon arrival.
Wondering if I should have went knock off and saved some money.

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0092.jpeg

IMG_0091.jpeg

Seems like everything is this way now a days. Like everything else quality ain't what it used to be...
Yes You would expect more from Edelbrock.

Companies are leaving it up to us for the final product finishing nowadays.

Lots of slag and bumps, holes drilled off center and clean up done upon arrival.

I am not sure I see the problem. "Holes drilled off center"? Your pictures don't necessarily show that.

Yes, their trim work is done very sloppy these days. The last couple new intakes I got from edelbrock were like that.
As far as the holes drilled off center...those are drilled with a jig and are probably all done at one time. They wont be dead center of the boss.

This is a speedmaster i bought during their black friday sale. Wasn't impressed with the banana shaped ports and staggered ports. I don't know if they sell rejects for black friday. Sent it back.

staggered-ports.jpg

banana-port2.jpg

I think Edel went downhill after Vic Edelbrock passed. There is no name now to live up to.

I think Edel went downhill after Vic Edelbrock passed. There is no name now to live up to.
Exactly, especially since none of the Edelbrock family is associated now. Pretty sad.

I've theorized for years Edelbrock is casting overseas, but those who want to believe everything is hunky dory keep arguing.

I've theorized for years Edelbrock is casting overseas, but those who want to believe everything is hunky dory keep arguing.
Yeah, I'm half tempted to take one of my old 15 yr old LA Weaind or Edelbrock intakes and see if I can modify them to fit the Magnum blocks for my stroker. Probably not very cost effective... :rolleyes:

I used to complain that Weiand 340/360 manifolds had ports that looked like small port 318 sized, but at least all the meat was there to gasket match them to the heads perfectly. With **** like that speedmaster above, how would you even be sure that they would seal?

Yeah, I'm half tempted to take one of my old 15 yr old LA Weaind or Edelbrock intakes and see if I can modify them to fit the Magnum blocks for my stroker. Probably not very cost effective... :rolleyes:
Why not just redrill the heads for the LA pattern? Plenty of people have done it.

Why not just redrill the heads for the LA pattern? Plenty of people have done it.
Would it work on Edel. aluminum magnum heads? I'll be honest as I have not done any research on it yet. I was saving up for an Eddy Air-gap manifold for the magnum. I guess I'll have to look into it.

Last edited:
Would it work on Edel. aluminum magnum heads? I'll be honest as I have not done any research on it yet. I was saving up for an Eddy Air-gap manifold for the magnum. I guess I'll have to look into it.
I'm sure it would. There were a couple of threads where some of the guys made a drilling jig for doing it. @Stephen Hotz made one and it was getting shipped between members until some newbie member got hold of it and it disappeared. Here is the thread about it.

View attachment 1716218387

View attachment 1716218388

View attachment 1716218389

View attachment 1716218390
I don’t see anything wrong with it. Actually looks pretty good in my opinion. Take a look at everything else that’s available and you’ll see it’s above par, even compared to intakes sold 20+ years ago.

Edelbrock went down after Vic passed on, but it got even worse after Cammie sold out.

Wow, the QC on on that Speedmaster I take is brutal! Like it was made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon.

Standards are pretty low these days across the board. Look at body shops and the work they do. So many cars rolling around with slightly different colour hue body panel(s) compared to the original paint.

The problem is, a lot of people in this world these days DO NOT care and they take NO pride in their work. The world as a lot of us knew it is going to hell in a hand cart. A lot of the general public these days do JUST enough to get by and collect a pay check. I shudder to think where we would be if our mothers, fathers, grand parents and great grand parents had that attitude.

Last edited:

You disappointment is legit in my opinon.
However the intake probably will work out.
Chrysler was not consistant in placement of the intake or exhaust manifold bolt holes relative to the ports.
So when changing intakes or installing headers it pays to to check the alignment and adjust if you want.
@Oldmanmopar has described this a few times.

As as Edelbrock caring, I found their customer service appreciative but impotent. That was in 2005.

I wish i had gone chinese also... my RPM came with the mounting holes drilled .180 off.. one of the members here that ports intakes had the same issue with Victors.. and we pay twice as much as chevy intakes... (will never not be a sore point)

As as Edelbrock caring, I found their customer service appreciative but impotent. That was in 2005.
They have 1 single RMA guy named Lance.... when i called bout my intake i got "Ohh that sucks... we might have some in a few months and they might have the same issue still..." For $460....

I wish i had gone chinese also... my RPM came with the mounting holes drilled .180 off.. one of the members here that ports intakes had the same issue with Victors.. and we pay twice as much as chevy intakes... (will never not be a sore point)
I was afraid the knock off would be worse and most have dual bolt patterns for mounting which I don’t care for.
I’m going to use it but will clean it up before installing.

The Speedmaster intake I bought during the Black Friday sale was nice quality wise but the ports on these intakes are similar to the LD4B intakes. On the small side of that matters to you.

-
Back