-

1966DARTDUDE

Reaction score
Hello:

I am a new member of this board. I just bought a 1966 Dart 270. It has a 273 V-8, 727 torqueflite trans. It still needs quite a bit of work. The previous owner shaved the door handles (which I am currently trying to fix). They spot welded washers over the holes and then bondo them in (why can't people leave things alone).

Does any member out there have a set of door handles they would like to sell? I would also like to replace the stock 7.25 rearend with an 8.75 posi. What years if any is a bolt in to the 66 Dart chassis? What years should be avoided. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will have some pics up shortly. She is not much to look at right now. Believe it or not I traded a 1976 Ford F150 truck for the Dart. I have always wanted an early A-Body so this deal came about and I took advantage of it. The Dart is super reliable right now and is my daily driver. Just need to fix a few things.

as to your wants, the door handles could probably be found here or on ebay pretty easily. There is a parts-wanted section, maybe you could post there and see if anything comes along. The A-body 8.75 rear end was made up through 1972, any of them will bolt into your dart. been there, done that but be prepared to spend $500+ to acquire one that is complete. also you will have to shorten the driveshaft. B and C body 8.75's can be used but will need significant work to shorten and make fit. lots of guys are running the later A-body 8.25 rear instead, its said to be plenty good for a mild street car. also the A-body 8.75 will have small bolt pattern, the 8.25 would have large bolt pattern. you can get aftermarket axles for the 8.75 to convert to large bolt pattern but again, that is more $$$. the swap to an 8.75 seems somewhat involved but i believe that it is worth it especially if you plan to add more horsepower in the future (and who doesn't, right?)
welcome and please show us some pictures of your dart. too bad about the shaved handles.
-Tim

Welcome! Cool another early A daily driver.
You might want to check Craigslist in your area and just see if you can find some complete doors cheap - that way you'll get handles and won't need to repair the previous owners updates. I beleive doors for Dart and Valiants are the same for '64, '65 & '66 with '63 being a one year only deal.

Welcome to FABO,I too have a V8 in my 66 Dart(360/904)with a 8 3/4s.g with Moser axels.I used a driveshaft from a 73 Dart Swinger 318 donor car,swapped the u-joints for the .489 center and bolted it in.If you found a d.shaft from one of these cars,you could just swap yokes to fit your 727.Good luck!
P.S Also swapped to disc brakes from donor car.

Hello:

I am a new member of this board. I just bought a 1966 Dart 270. It has a 273 V-8, 727 torqueflite trans. It still needs quite a bit of work. The previous owner shaved the door handles (which I am currently trying to fix). They spot welded washers over the holes and then bondo them in (why can't people leave things alone).

Does any member out there have a set of door handles they would like to sell? I would also like to replace the stock 7.25 rearend with an 8.75 posi. What years if any is a bolt in to the 66 Dart chassis? What years should be avoided. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1966dartdude,

I have handles for 63-64 Darrt but I think they are the same.
Do you need door locks too? $20 each for handles, If interested
call me at 916 941-9826

Thanks, Lee

welcome to fabo.. and i cant believe you traded the best year of ford truck for a dart :p

I though 73 A body had 83/4 with big bolt pattern and the front was disk brakes. Thats what i used on mine.Ive got what you need rear end and door handles, Only problem shipping I lilve in Ar, where do you live?

I am located in Mesa, Arizona. I thinks I can probably find the rearend here but would rather buy door handles from fellow Dart owners.

Here are some pictures of when I first got the Dart. Hopefully I post them right.

MY DART 1.jpg

MY DART 2.jpg

MY DART 3.jpg

MY DART.jpg

Welcome! Is that a 4 barrel carbed motor? If so, you might have one of the "Charger" 235 horsepower motors. Look for a dual point distributor. Dunno, maybe you already know this stuff.

If it the 235 hp it will have solid lifters also and if your lucky the finned valve covers. If you want the valve covers ive got them also. In fact ive got 2 complete 65 darts and one 66 dart for parts cars.

He's already got the valve covers. You can see them in the pic he posted. All the early 273 engines I've dealt with had solid lifters. Not sure if/when they went to hydraulics.

It has a 4 barrel carb on the stock cast iron 4 barrel intake. The carb. is an eldelbrock carb. The dist. has been upgraded to an electronic ignition. The valve covers are wrinkle black with chrome fins on top. The Vin # is LH23D62596834. I don't know much about this car since I just got it. It does run really strong and sounds really nice with the dual exhaust. If this is a Chrager motor is it pretty rare?

It has a 4 barrel carb on the stock cast iron 4 barrel intake. The carb. is an eldelbrock carb. The dist. has been upgraded to an electronic ignition. The valve covers are wrinkle black with chrome fins on top. The Vin # is LH23D62596834. I don't know much about this car since I just got it. It does run really strong and sounds really nice with the dual exhaust. If this is a Chrager motor is it pretty rare?

pretty much anything V-8 relating to early A bodies is rare relative to the rest of the automotive world. but your setup, if it is a Charger or a Commando motor, is rare. good stuff to have and your Dart looks like a great starting point for a fun hot rod. those valve covers are highly desirable items.
-Tim

Welcome aboard!!! Looks like a sweet ride you have there. You'll have a great time on this site and find everything you could want. It's great to have ya here.

-
Back