New to the Mopar scene

-

enRo

Reaction score
Hey all! New guy here, and just picked up my very first Mopar, and I'm kinda excited. My father had a built 1965 Belvedere II that ran mid 10's in the 1/4, and my uncle had a built 64 Coronet, but honestly, I've always been a GM guy, owning all sorts of Trans Ams, Firebirds and Camaros since I was 16.

Anyway, my grandfather, God rest his soul, had a 1974 Dart Swinger with the 318 since the early 90's- all original. I would get a ride in that car to all the local cruise nights and car shows when I was younger. Anyway, he passed a few years ago, and the car was handed down to me, but I had no room in my driveway at the time for it, so it was given to my cousin instead. Long story short, my cousin let it sit for those few years, called me up recently and asked if I wanted to take it off his hands- and since I have room for more toys at this point, I took him up on the offer.

So, yeah, I'm exicted, and looking forward to restoring it on the side and gathering some information about this beaut! Cheers everyone!

13340165_10209295879343553_8374644928813011059_o.jpg

13312770_10201836336026669_5030609280866830225_n.jpg

Looks to be in nice shape. More pics are needed!
And, welcome aboard,
C

That Reminds me of exactly what my dart looked like when i got it. you're lucky enough to be starting with a V8 car!

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have an awesome starting point

Welcome to FABO, have fun with the car, it looks like a great starting point!
It should have the 4.5'' bolt pattern and front disc brakes unless it was changed in the past, and that's a great thing to start out with.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! The car is very solid for the amount of time that it sat (it had a car cover on it the whole time), especially way in upstate NY. It has 90K original miles, and though there is some minor rust spots in the spare tire compartment and very minimal exterior rust, it's nothing that can't be fixed. The interior is an 8/10, and the frame is in amazing shape, which surprised me when I went to do a lookover of the car before I decided to jump on it. I just spent a few hours this morning changing out the plugs, replaced the battery, starter relay, did an oil change, coolant flush and it fires up like a champ, so now I can move it around my driveway if needed. Hey, if it's free, it's for me. :thumbsup:

Welcome aboard and to the Mopar scene!
These cars ha doe a bit differently so be aware the steering has a loose feel. I think you will like the MoPars. Things like an 18* valve train, something Chevy guys pay a lot to upgrade to come stock. Removable intake without removing the distributor is an interesting thing as well.

But it also comes with draw backs GM guys are not aware of. Different trans bell housing for each engine family. Multiple K frames for each engine family even in the same car. While that isn't always the case, it can be a pain. When you don't know.

Oh! Small block liking needs help past 6500. So don't rev the engine to the moon because that is NOT an OK thing to do. Also, always make sure your trans is properly hooked up or you'll burn it out in less than 20 miles.
Guess how I found out! Yep, you got it, live an learn.

Welcome aboard and to the Mopar scene!
These cars ha doe a bit differently so be aware the steering has a loose feel. I think you will like the MoPars. Things like an 18* valve train, something Chevy guys pay a lot to upgrade to come stock. Removable intake without removing the distributor is an interesting thing as well.

But it also comes with draw backs GM guys are not aware of. Different trans bell housing for each engine family. Multiple K frames for each engine family even in the same car. While that isn't always the case, it can be a pain. When you don't know.

Oh! Small block liking needs help past 6500. So don't rev the engine to the moon because that is NOT an OK thing to do. Also, always make sure your trans is properly hooked up or you'll burn it out in less than 20 miles.
Guess how I found out! Yep, you got it, live an learn.
LAMO,...Rumble fish,responds.. (You want honesty,Rumble delivers it...The best part: He's breath taking brutally honest)@ it works!... Welcome....,....

-
Back