New to this forum.

-

sarguy01

Reaction score
Cliff notes: 1971 Dodge Dart. Short term goal: stock/cheap 360 and black primer for paint.

The long version!

I am starting in yet another online forum!

In 1998 I bought a 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger from an older lady in PA. I lived in New Jersey at the time. The car was a slant six; brown with a cream interior. I forget the right name for the interior color.

I was 16 when we bought it for 2500$. It ran well and only had some quarter rust. I put a 1975 Valiant front end on it so I could have disc brakes. Later I bought a 500$ Duster that had a 318, a 727, and an 8 3/4 rear with a 3.23 limited slip. I put it all together to find out that it ran a whopping, hold on, 18.xx something in the quarter. It was faster with the 6! The 318 was really, really tired. I put it in storage in 1999 when I joined the Navy.

I plan on pulling it out within the next few years and am looking to get it up and running. I am not going to do a full resto right away since I have 2 girls (4 years old and 3 months old) who are going to need a college fund. I know some of you understand what I am talking about! Basically, I don't want to do a cheap restoration that would need to be redone. When I parked it, the interior was in really nice shape, and hopefully it still is. It is parked inside a mostly waterproof trailer. I started fixing rust so the car is partially primered.

To get it up and running, I am thinking of putting in a used 360, or a rebuilt longblock with a slight cam. I am not dumping money into a motor that isn't going to stay in the car. I will get the small stuff to go with the 318 to 360 swap. The 727 has a shift kit in it, but I will rebuild it even though when I parked it the trans was fine. The rear is going to get 5x4.5 axles since it has 5x4 right now with 5x4.5 up front! Along with a few other odds and ends, I think I can get it going for around 3-4000$. As for the paint, "Primer is finer"! I will spray the whole car with black primer. I just want to get it driving, safely, again.

The ultimate plan for the car is a forged small block, possibly with a turbo or two. I am thinking of keeping the cream interior and going with a two tone exterior, brown on the bottom half and cream on the upper half. I don't want a cage, so 11.50's are the quarter goal. I want the car to be a driver, not a "street car" that needs race gas, has a 5000 stall, only gets 3 mpg, etc.

I may change my mind about what I am going to do, but I really want a turbo. I know a lot about turbos and have fabricating skills. I think it would be a fun project.

What are your opinions?

Research away and welcome to the the best of the best sites going

Welcome to FABO. There are a lot of REALLY knowledgeable MoPar tech-heads on this forum that can help you with information about a variety of things, including turbocharging V-8s.

I don't have fabrication skills, (to put it mildly,) so I took the easy way out and installed a Vortech, 6-rib, serpentine belt-driven Vortech centrifugal blower on my '72 Valiant 4-door. I'm having a lot of fun with it. (see pics).

There are a LOT of good guys on this forum who'll be happy to help you when they can.

Just start a new thread and see what I mean....:cheers: Several guys here run turbo V8s.....

100_0116.jpg

100_3266.jpg

100_3270.jpg

100_3093-4.jpg

Bill Dedman - That is a great looking sleeper. I am considering a supercharger as well, but turbos have always been my favorite. Any track times?

I am going to hang out for a while and lurk. I will look through old threads for information, I don't want to ask the same questions 100 other people have already asked. I know, from my other forums, how old that gets.

As for my car, I am going to go with Megasquirt. I like the fact that it is very affordable and allows the user the option to use pretty much anything for ignition components, MAP sensors, crank position, cam position, etc, etc.

When I do pull it out of storage,I will be sure to start a build thread so people can cheer me on or tell me not to do something!!

sarguy01, you have a lot of things going for you: You're articulate, well spoken and a good storyteller, you know exactly what you want, you have a history with your car, and you choose your new friends extremely well!!! :-D You're going to fit in perfectly around here.

My only advice about your build is to plan on spending at least twice as much as you think it'll cost right now. Otherwise, it looks like you're on a great track with your plans. Keep us posted with your progress because you're going to have a big cheering section.

Welcome aboard to the absolute best Mopar site on the net!!! It's wonderful to have you here with us.

Bill Dedman - That is a great looking sleeper. I am considering a supercharger as well, but turbos have always been my favorite. Any track times?

Thank you for the kind comments. I will attach a timeslip from a very cold day at a very slick (that day!) track. It's a 1,000-foot strip (we don't have any quarter-mile facilities within reasonable driving distances from me (none in Arkansas at all, and I'm pretty much dead-center of the state.) The Wallace online computer says this 1,000 foot time would equate to an 11.70 @ 117.... but, as I said, it was so slick that day that the car was spinning well into 2nd gear, with a 3.55 ring and pinion.
I have new, inch-wider slicks, and a 4.10 ring and pinion, with a brand new Sure Grip, so, I'm hoping to reduce that 60-foot time to a mid-1.50s' the next time out. That would reduce my "guesstimate" from Wallace to around a 11.50, quarter-mile, I think.

I am going to hang out for a while and lurk. I will look through old threads for information, I don't want to ask the same questions 100 other people have already asked. I know, from my other forums, how old that gets.

Great idea; there are a couple of guys on FABO who specialize in add-on turbos, and they seem to really know their business. You'll find them...

As for my car, I am going to go with Megasquirt. I like the fact that it is very affordable and allows the user the option to use pretty much anything for ignition components, MAP sensors, crank position, cam position, etc, etc.

Good ideas, all around, I think! I really wanted a single turbo setup for my car, but because of my (severely) limited fabrication "skills" (LOL!), and my age (I wanted to run the car before I died of old age; I'll be 71 on the 20th), I decided to go with a bolt-on Vortech, blow-thru, carb system. I may, yet, attack a turbo setup, if I live long enough:cheers:.

When I do pull it out of storage,I will be sure to start a build thread so people can cheer me on or tell me not to do something!!

One thing for sure, you'll have plenty of people telling you what to do!!!

We love "helping" folks build their cars... LOL!!!

Don't be shy; keep us informed, and you'll get LOTS of help.... hee hee....

If you should ever want more pictures, or information about my setup, just email me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to oblige (see; it's starting, already!!! LOL!)=P~

image0-4.jpg

100_2951-4.jpg

Here's a dyno sheet from a DynoJet dynamometer I ran on last spring... 10 pounds of boost; true 9:1 on Av gas...

image0-3.jpg

Welcome to FABO. There are a lot of REALLY knowledgeable MoPar tech-heads on this forum that can help you with information about a variety of things, including turbocharging V-8s.

I don't have fabrication skills, (to put it mildly,) so I took the easy way out and installed a Vortech, 6-rib, serpentine belt-driven Vortech centrifugal blower on my '72 Valiant 4-door. I'm having a lot of fun with it. (see pics).

There are a LOT of good guys on this forum who'll be happy to help you when they can.

Just start a new thread and see what I mean....:cheers: Several guys here run turbo V8s.....

Talk about a Sleeper; nice Valiant.

sarguy01, you have a lot of things going for you: You're articulate, well spoken and a good storyteller, you know exactly what you want, you have a history with your car, and you choose your new friends extremely well!!! :-D You're going to fit in perfectly around here.

My only advice about your build is to plan on spending at least twice as much as you think it'll cost right now. Otherwise, it looks like you're on a great track with your plans. Keep us posted with your progress because you're going to have a big cheering section.

Welcome aboard to the absolute best Mopar site on the net!!! It's wonderful to have you here with us.

I love this rule. The first thing my dad told was when I got the Dart was to do exactly this for everything I planned on doing.

Thanks for the kind compliments.

Thank you for the kind comments. I will attach a timeslip from a very cold day at a very slick (that day!) track. It's a 1,000-foot strip (we don't have any quarter-mile facilities within reasonable driving distances from me (none in Arkansas at all, and I'm pretty much dead-center of the state.) The Wallace online computer says this 1,000 foot time would equate to an 11.70 @ 117.... but, as I said, it was so slick that day that the car was spinning well into 2nd gear, with a 3.55 ring and pinion.
I have new, inch-wider slicks, and a 4.10 ring and pinion, with a brand new Sure Grip, so, I'm hoping to reduce that 60-foot time to a mid-1.50s' the next time out. That would reduce my "guesstimate" from Wallace to around a 11.50, quarter-mile, I think.

Your time is right around my goal. I am going to most likely going to overshoot with the build and then scale the boost back to keep me legal at the track, even though it is not going to see the track very often.

What motor/trans are you running? Specifically, what cam? Do you have a thread that I missed that explains this all?

I just finished up at Iowa State before moving to Florida and there were not many places to race or dyno within a reasonable distance for a Friday night. When I met my wife she lived 60 miles from me. I traded my 2005 Ram for a 2004 Neon SRT-4 since it got 30mpg on the highway. That is when I fell in love with turbos. I ended up getting rid of the car though.

I am very slowly making a parts list just to get the car on the road. I would rather drive a primered car with 250 hp then let it sit in storage for however many more years before the restoration. I may end up putting Megasquirt in right away instead of spending money on a carb. That way I can get used to tuning with a temporary motor with no turbo, instead of learning on the fly with an expensive forged motor with a turbo.

Stock shortblock pistons, rods, crank
Hughes hyd. roller (360, stock bore, Magnum motor)

214/218 degrees dur. @ .050" 114 lobe separation...
.525" lift with 1.6 (stock ratio) Crane roller rockers
300# (open) springs; thick-wall pushrods

Hughes recommendations on the springs and pushrods.

750 Holley blow-thru
Chinese "air gap" style intake; TTI headers

8.75" Suregrip

"Built" 904 with a stock ("high-stall") OEM converter; 2,500 rpm stall before the blower; dunno now... brakes won't hold it... LOL!

I went to IA State in 1970...:cheers:

-
Back