New wiring for our ‘67 B’cuda

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
The previous owner would have embarrassed the guys on Roadkill. Due to the number or cut wires, spliced in wires, disconnected wires and the general lack of color coding, I purchased new harnesses from M&H Electric Fabricators. Expensive, but damn nice… except …

Why can’t they label their wires? I labeled everything I could when I took the old one out, but the Junkyard Warriors had already worked their magic. I can read a schematic and eventually I will figure it out, but it sure would easier if M&H would label their wires.

The previous owner would have embarrassed the guys on Roadkill. Due to the number or cut wires, spliced in wires, disconnected wires and the general lack of color coding, I purchased new harnesses from M&H Electric Fabricators. Expensive, but damn nice… except …
Why can’t they label their wires? I labeled everything I could when I took the old one out, but the Junkyard Warriors had already worked their magic. I can read a schematic and eventually I will figure it out, but it sure would easier if M&H would label their wires.

OEM wasn't labelled. Exact reproduction of that wouldn't be labelled. Factory harnesses have many different connectors and just barely enough wire length so their line workers couldn't get it wrong.

M&H puts a tag on each harness, OEM did not. But OEM was not for hobbies TD or restorers.

Furthermore, M&H tells you not to remove their tag until the harness is installed. So why not build for your market, put labels on wires, and instruct customers to remove the labels after installation?

Maybe neither here nor there, but orignal harness has the part number on it.
On the instrument panel harness its by the hi/lo switch connector.
upload_2022-2-22_22-25-23.png

These may help a bit. Mine's a notchback, no console but let me know if you need more.

Instrument Panel left side
upload_2022-2-22_22-26-18.png

Hazard and Headlight
upload_2022-2-22_22-27-50.png

Inside Bulkhead
upload_2020-5-12_19-1-14-png-png.png

Instrument to body harness connections.
upload_2020-4-20_20-7-1-png.png

2 spd Wiper switch
upload_2020-3-5_9-34-4-png.png

You may find this book helpful.
My review of Faxon book, 1967-1969 Dodge & Plymouth Body & Electrical Assembly Manual
upload_2020-7-1_21-57-34-png.png

You know schematics would help right?
I can email you factory schematics if you like.
I have been using schematics, but their color and M&H colors aren’t matching up on this, and I don’t have any photos or correct wires/parts to compare to.

What brand wiring harness did you get. I got mine from American Auto and all wires where marked.

What brand wiring harness did you get. I got mine from American Auto and all wires where marked.
M&H Electric Fabricators. A complete harness has a tag, but wires aren’t marked.

If my car had unmolested wiring and electric components at the start, labeled wires would be less of an issue. But without existing wires and electrical components for a guide, the chance of making an expensive error increases.

Not sure what you need or want at this point.
We've offered photos, factory assembly diagrams, wiring diagrams.
As Redfish wrote, there's only a very limited number of places each connector can reach, and the majority of connectors are unique to the item they join.
Maybe the best thing is to post up photos and questions on specifics when you run into something that's not obvious (to you). I've found cudaAl and others pretty helpful when I had such questions.

Loganscuda, the attached photo is an example. These wires are located on the under hood harness in the area the regulator and ballast resistor are, but I don’t have a photo to help guide me.

Using wire lengths as a guide, I can figure out where to mount the regulator. Using schematics, I see the green wire attached to the FLD post on the regulator.
1. Does the single blue wire connect to the other post?
2. Does the blue & blue with white stripe connect to the “input” side of the ballast resistor?
3. Does the brown and blue connect to the “outlet” side of the ballast resistor?

These are my questions at this time. All could have been answered if the wires were labeled, or had I started with an unmolested electrical system.

All help is appreciated.
5E64C96D-7466-4D6A-B826-45779B854C81.jpeg
10E06F56-9C47-4179-8141-4BA5ACFED54E.jpeg

Chk yer email, I sent the 67 supplement as a zipped file.
Loganscuda, the attached photo is an example. These wires are located on the under hood harness in the area the regulator and ballast resistor are, but I don’t have a photo to help guide me.

Using wire lengths as a guide, I can figure out where to mount the regulator. Using schematics, I see the green wire attached to the FLD post on the regulator.
2. Does the blue & blue with white stripe connect to the “input” side of the ballast resistor?
3. Does the brown and blue connect to the “outlet” side of the ballast resistor?

These are my questions at this time. All could have been answered if the wires were labeled, or had I started with an unmolested electrical system.

All help is appreciated.
View attachment 1715876171 View attachment 1715876194

All help is appreciated.
View attachment 1715876171 View attachment 1715876194
Sorry I didn't get an alert that you posted, but just saw it now.

upload_2022-2-24_16-29-49.png

Ballast resistor goes under the lip, like this.
upload_2022-2-24_15-35-44.png

upload_2022-2-24_15-39-33.png

upload_2022-2-24_15-59-52.png

There's extra wires on my car because I've added the MSD and an alternator output junction.

Last edited:
here's a cleaned up portion of the relevent assy drawing.
upload_2022-2-24_16-43-58.png

Thanks for the photos. Those, with schematics answered a lot of questions. Before I saw them, I guessed the correct spot for the regulator. My car’s firewall does not have a mounting hole in the right spot for the ballast, unless I have overlooked it.

I did avoid one major mistake. As I have said, M&H does not label wires. Factory schematics show the neutral safety switch (NSS) wire is brown and attaches to the starter relay. Yep, M&H has a brown wire in the area that reaches, and after I attached it, I got to wondering about the power wire for the windshield washer (WW). Using the schematic, I found that it is also brown… but the new harness only has one brown wire in the area. Using the schematics and an ohm-meter, I determined the brown wire in the new harness is for the WW, not the NSS. Had I not double-checked I would have had a real electric gremlin to chase down.

So I moved the WW wire and noted that the harness does not have a NSS wire. This caused me to do more research, then it occurred to me that the PO installed a 904 from a Volare - tather than a one wire, it has a three wire switch on the trans. I will have to make my own NSS wire and figure out the reverse lights.

I'm not aware of another '67 ballast resistor mmounting location for '67 but ???
Here's a closer a view
upload_2022-2-24_21-8-26.png

Neutral Safety Wire.
That was a seperate wire in '67. According tothe ***'y drawing it got routed back to the firewall, up through the harness clip and across the firewall to the clip on the passenger side of the transmission.

Another helpful photo from @Cuda Al
upload_2022-2-24_21-37-43.png

Reverse Switch Wiring
If the car still has the original reverse switch, then it is probably wired as it was in '67.

On automatic with column selector, the switch is on the steering column.
upload_2022-2-24_21-4-9.png

As long as the actuator pin isn't broken, your good to go.
upload_2019-5-11_10-58-26-png.png

The reverse switch connector orignally mated to the connector with a Blue and a White wire.
upload_2022-2-24_21-19-30.png

The factory wiring diagram are not clear that it is illustration all options for reverse switch.
Manual transmission reverse switch locations are on the transmission. For those cars the blue and white wires get connected to the bulkhead multi-connector.

White is power. It comes from the windshield wiper switch, which gets it from the key switch 'accessory' terminal.
We figured that out here: Wiper Motor Wires

Optionally you can run the 3 prong combined NSS/reverse light switch with that newer 904.
Connect the white and blue wires to the bulkhead cavities like it was a manual transmission car.
Then make up a harness to the NSS like a '69 had.
I did that to get around a broken reverse switch pin.
'69 shown here: Incredibly dumb question..Trans pig tail

Last edited:
Mattax - I didn’t get a notice that you posted. I have just about finished under the hood (less NSS wire), then moving to the dash. When that harness is good to go, I will see what sketchy wiring my car original had for the NSS and reverse lights. I fully expect to run a new NSS wire, but I still have to figure the reverse lights and how to connect them with my automatic’s console & floor shifter.

I fully expect to run a new NSS wire, but I still have to figure the reverse lights and how to connect them with my automatic’s console & floor shifter.
Hopefully the inside harness is OK. In which case you'll just need to run the NSS wire.

Found these pics in the 'wanted' forum @4spdragtop .
reverse light switch and harness in a '67 console
20211214_215954-jpg.jpg

Switch is on the shifter itself
20220225_111437-jpg.jpg

A photo from @Cuda_Al of the console harness
dash-console-extension-jpg.jpg

console wireing

Mattax - I didn’t get a notice that you posted. I have just about finished under the hood (less NSS wire), then moving to the dash. When that harness is good to go, I will see what sketchy wiring my car original had for the NSS and reverse lights. I fully expect to run a new NSS wire, but I still have to figure the reverse lights and how to connect them with my automatic’s console & floor shifter.
If you have a transmission (and you should) with a 3 pin NSS that is "it." If you don't have a pigtail, you can get them from NAPA and other places. Center pin runs up over the transmission up the firewall and routes to one of the push-on connectors on your starter relay.
The Two outer pins are reverse switch. Route either outer pin to switched power, and the remaining one back to the reverse lamps. Normally that wire comes up the firewall, through the bulkhead connector, and over to the left kick panel connector, and on back to the reverse lamps. No idea how "whoever" harness routes that.

Thanks for the photos and info on the console wiring,NSS and reverse lights. Hopefully I will catch up with honeydo’s and basic family stuff enough this week to be back on the wiring in full force by Next week.

-
Back