Newbei 67 Plymouth belvedere 318 2bb dist vac port is timed or full.

-

Thomas Torino

Reaction score
Trying fin out if my 1967 Plymouth belvedere 318 2bb distributor vacuum port is timed or full. swapping over to edl 2176 intake and edl 1406 carb. As I read the instructions I was suppose to check this before i pulled my old carb and intake off. To late so does anyone know? If its timed vacuum hose goes from dist to carb port on pass side. If not timed hose goes from dist to carb port on Dr side.
Thank you.

Look at both ports on carb. 1 should be slightly higher than the other one. More than likely the higher one will be on pass side and that is timed port. The one that is lower is full manifold vacuum.
Any mopars I know that are vac adv hook up to pass side port.

Welcome aboard Thomas. You "might have ripped the scab off this old wound"!!!
My take, in '67 it would have been manifold (full) vacuum. Hook it up to the drivers side port.
C

Look at both ports on carb. 1 should be slightly higher than the other one. More than likely the higher one will be on pass side and that is timed port. The one that is lower is full manifold vacuum.
Any mopars I know that are vac adv hook up to pass side port.

I agree, the vacuum advance should be on the timed port, as the throttle opens the vacuum increases in that port to advance the timing for better part throttle operation, plugging it in the other port will advance the timing at idle and will retard the timing when the vacuum drops on that port.

Oh! And welcome to FABO!

Not familiar with 2bl carbs. My 4bl Eddy, the timed port is as I mentioned above. 2bl could be a different animal.

Not to disagree with Steve, or be disagreeable at all, but here is an interesting read for you:
Ported vs. Manifold Vacuum

Also, the instructions that came with your 1406 probably told you to use ported vacuum "if your engine is emissions controlled". Unless you have added a bunch of stuff to your '67 it is not emissions controlled.
The bottom line is that it may not make much difference in driving. Biggest difference is where you will set initial timing.
C

FBO (4secondsflat.com) says use manifold vacuum (drivers side)
They are pretty much race oriented and the owner Don Gould took 2016 King of the track Madras speedway drags.

That said, a lot of us use ported vacuum for the average daily driver street car (passenger side on your 1406)

This tuning book is a must in my opinion for people who want to learn more, and is probably the best 20 bucks you will spend on your car.
Performance Tuning Guide

Yep C, just like you mention, the 1405 manual states "if emission controlled"
Good point!
Ok so now that Im starting to (at least trying to) learn more on carbs n timing, if you use the full time port for distributor, do you set timing with that as well?

BTW C, your the least disagreeable person. Thank you for the info/advice

Thanks Steve!
I think I had a brain fart on that last post.
Timing should be set with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged, so in theory the initial timing would be set the same ported or manifold.
Like you, I am trying to learn more about carbs and timing. I will look into the book that TrailBeast has referenced.
After reading the article I referenced I switched my distributor vacuum to manifold - and I think it seems more responsive.
C

IF, big if, NO other modifications, use the ported (pass side)on an otherwise stock engine. All stock setups will use timed (ported)vacadvance. With that said, any cam, head, or other performance enhancements can benefit from full vac. But you're doing nothing but applying the advance early on a stock engine. Also remember the vac advance is adjustable, not for amount of vacuum, but how early or late you want it to engage. Welcome to the mystery of tuning!!!
Your 1406 will be pig rich OOTB on a stock setup so invest in a tuning kit n lean that puppy down.

-
Back