Nick's Garage dyno's a 318 Stroker.

-
He did mention they were ported, so the 2.02 valves weren't surprising. 2.02 is A factory valve size, just not originally with those late 340/early 360 heads. Still very impressive power numbers with a Performer intake, iron heads, 340 exhaust manifolds and 318 bore size. It's not maximum power possible but I'd still be damn proud to have those power numbers.

I watch Nick's Garage purely for the entertainment value, I get my knowledge here on FABO. I invented a drinking game where I have to drink every time he says "here we go". I can usually kill a couple of beers every episode. I find the show corny and pandering to his audience but isn't that most every show on YouTube? The pilot's headset gave me a chuckle.

I did notice him setting the timing by "feel" with the engine off. Also, if the client wanted Nick to tune the carb, why didn't he lean it out? It was running rich all the way through the pulls. He probably could have gotten a few more horsepower out of it. Isn't that the purpose of tuning it? He mentioned trying a carb spacer to lean it out when a simple jet change (which I've seen him do in the past) would work. Hmmm

This doesn't surprise me at all.

I recently put my car on the chassis dyno to optimize it and see the difference between the 600 v/s Holley and the 700cfm Double Pumper I also have.

It's a 354 poly, 727 and made 341hp at the wheels with the 700 cfm and 334hp at the wheels with the 600. It was a filthy hot day, 90° by 11am and nearly 100° by lunchtime.

The dyno guy was very impressed - said it was a really stout engine, the factory 4 barrel manifold is holding it back in his opinion.

For reference the stock 428 Cobra Jet Mustang he ran on there earlier that morning made 290hp. That was an auto too.

I was surprised the power started tailing off by 4,500rpm, it's only a small-ish cam coupled with the factory intake. I do rev it 5,500 rpm though and it still pulls.

It's a 318 poly with a 3.58" Scat forged crank, Scat rods, Ross pistons 0.065 over, 10.8:1 compression. Poly heads with a little bit of porting, 1.94"/1.60" valves, Schneider solid lifter cam 264F (220° at .050, 0.450 lift). Topped off with a factory cast iron intake and an 1850 Holley 600. It's got headers, stepped from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4, 2.5" dual system.

Fancy that, an old poly small block making 50 hp more than a 428 Cobra Jet. Okay, it's not quite a fair comparison as mine is modified and the Cobra Jet was stock but still...
20231003_180546.jpg

20230921_111144.jpg

20230921_111120.jpg

20230921_135136.jpg

20230921_172629.jpg

Also it sounded good at idle and it had 15" of vacuum at 950 rpm. Cam specs I believe were 231/237 @ .050 .525/.525 110°

Comp CRS XE275 HL-10

What was the actual displacement?

I've been intrigued with the 392 (.040 over) kit for my "free bonus" LA roller that currently has no compression.

I've been intrigued with the 392 (.040 over) kit for my "free bonus" LA roller that currently has no compression.
I have a LA roller block laying around as well. That should make for a nice combination. Oh, and a set of Speedmaster heads as well.

from prior discussion and dyno results, the threshold for manifolds and shorty headers is about 400 before they start becoming detrimental to power.

however, headers will pick up some torque over them in the low and midrange.

but this thing doesn't seem that wild, and with the manifolds and smallish carb i'd bet it's super crisp on the street and has great throttle response.
Bet you that thing does run crisp on the street. Considering it has a dual plane manifold and assuming the divider is not cut down, each cylinder only sees 375 cfm. A big prepared thermoquad would be an excellent choice carburetor. Those manifolds have to go, fenderwell headers if you can find a pair.

Bet you that thing does run crisp on the street. Considering it has a dual plane manifold and assuming the divider is not cut down, each cylinder only sees 375 cfm. A big prepared thermoquad would be an excellent choice carburetor. Those manifolds have to go, fenderwell headers if you can find a pair.
i'd actually go the other way and keep the carb small-ish... 4150 with downleg boosters, mechanical 2ndary if i wanted to be shenanigans, and some tri-y headers 1 5/8" primaries.

i think that would have all the things i'd be looking for: kickass throttle response, enough carb to pull the motor to peak power, absolute gobs of midrange torque without sacrificing anything down low or top end.

that's a basically: stick any gear in this and watch it melt the tires at will.

Those exhaust manifolds have to be the choking point now on that engine. Dollars to donuts,headers and that little monster see’s more horsepower at higher rpm. Then a ported manifold and bigger carburetor will get even more.
I'm sure more can be had with headers, but he explained that very well, I thought. "I'm using what I have, what my customer gave me" and he did pretty darn good with it.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

I recently put my car on the chassis dyno to optimize it and see the difference between the 600 v/s Holley and the 700cfm Double Pumper I also have.

It's a 354 poly, 727 and made 341hp at the wheels with the 700 cfm and 334hp at the wheels with the 600. It was a filthy hot day, 90° by 11am and nearly 100° by lunchtime.

The dyno guy was very impressed - said it was a really stout engine, the factory 4 barrel manifold is holding it back in his opinion.

For reference the stock 428 Cobra Jet Mustang he ran on there earlier that morning made 290hp. That was an auto too.

I was surprised the power started tailing off by 4,500rpm, it's only a small-ish cam coupled with the factory intake. I do rev it 5,500 rpm though and it still pulls.

It's a 318 poly with a 3.58" Scat forged crank, Scat rods, Ross pistons 0.065 over, 10.8:1 compression. Poly heads with a little bit of porting, 1.94"/1.60" valves, Schneider solid lifter cam 264F (220° at .050, 0.450 lift). Topped off with a factory cast iron intake and an 1850 Holley 600. It's got headers, stepped from 1 5/8 to 1 3/4, 2.5" dual system.

Fancy that, an old poly small block making 50 hp more than a 428 Cobra Jet. Okay, it's not quite a fair comparison as mine is modified and the Cobra Jet was stock but still...
View attachment 1716157651

View attachment 1716157652

View attachment 1716157653

View attachment 1716157654

View attachment 1716157655
That thing is super cool and very respectable!

That thing is super cool and very respectable!
Thank you mate, for the money and effort I've spent on it I could have had a 500hp big block, but I just like trying to make something out of not much and having something different.

Also, it's a nice cruiser still and the power/torque is well balanced with the rest of the car.
20230204_205918.jpg

I'm going to be running a 318 with 273 heads... good compression. I have an Erson "rv" cam which has a decent lift, but not over the .500 that people usual search for. I'm running it on the street. It's all low end power. TTi headers, street dominator manifold, 3.55 gear, and best of all it's a stick.

Would a 340 or a 360 be better? Sure. Like they say, there's no replacement for displacement. But I won't be disappointed. Heck, I haven't even started this one and I'm already looking into building a stroker 318. It never ends...
a little 318, 0.040" over, with a 4" arm will get you a 392 WEDGE.
Oh, yeah I forgot to mention. I just picked up an ultrasonic thickness tester (Made in the USA) for $5 at the Mare Island Museum liquidation. So much stuff at great prices. They even have a Pratt & Whitney lathe 16"x54". I didn't want to ask the price because I have nowhere to put it. Anyone in the bay area interested? The museum is open on Wednesdays.

a little 318, 0.040" over, with a 4" arm will get you a 392 WEDGE.
Oh, yeah I forgot to mention. I just picked up an ultrasonic thickness tester (Made in the USA) for $5 at the Mare Island Museum liquidation. So much stuff at great prices. They even have a Pratt & Whitney lathe 16"x54". I didn't want to ask the price because I have nowhere to put it. Anyone in the bay area interested? The museum is open on Wednesdays.
392 WEDGE I can see the air cleaner call out now.

Thank you mate, for the money and effort I've spent on it I could have had a 500hp big block, but I just like trying to make something out of not much and having something different.

Also, it's a nice cruiser still and the power/torque is well balanced with the rest of the car.
View attachment 1716157878
Yeah, but what you have is different! That's why I turned into a slant 6 guy!

392 is a currently offered displacement so call out badges are as easy as ebay or if you want to spend more an FCA dealership.

-
Back