No air filters on the street?

-
Put that scoop on backwards lol.
Consider this; at peak torque, about 4000rpm, and WOT,a 360 will inhale half it's cubic inches on every revolution, so in say 6 seconds, it has turned 400rpm and inhaled 42 cubic feet.............
Cruising at 3000rpm, your engine will be processing about 4 to 5 cubic feet of air every minute. So a 10 minute ride with 10 blasts is only 465 cubic feet. That doesn't sound like a big deal does it?
Well, in cylinder-fulls, it comes to.... about 17,556, or ~2200 per cylinder.
Twenty two Hundred; your call.

I figure your average Joe inhales bout 5 cubic inches of air per breath. Bout 20 breathes per minute. 60 minutes a hour. 24 hours a day. That's about 144000 cubic inches. A totally relaxed day. Me thinks I should get an air cleaner.....

I figure your average Joe inhales bout 5 cubic inches of air per breath. Bout 20 breathes per minute. 60 minutes a hour. 24 hours a day. That's about 144000 cubic inches. A totally relaxed day. Me thinks I should get an air cleaner.....

just put a sock in it

At 65 My air cleaner is built-in. Every Friday I have to clean it out, and extract about 50% of the longest soup-strainers , and then it's on to the mustache.

And then what?
Maybe we should all move to Ohio?
Aw com'on Pete, I'm tryin to be funny

As I live in the country,I'm a lil worried that all that gravel dust, coming across my hood, where my air intake is, that some of it is gonna find it's way into the oilpan, past my Plasma-Moly file fits, and they are not likely to put up with that, and I'm not real enthusiastic about replacing them every winter.After having got past the rings and then skidded on down the sides of my KB107s, that rock-dust, of course, will get sucked up by my hi-volume pump , which is gonna push some of that dust thru my oil filter, and then past/into the lifters, and all thru the bearings.
Of course the ever increasing leakdown, and ever-increasing fuel consumption, ain't gonna make me happy either.

Last edited:
You are worrying about "dirt in your carb" while you race on a city street ? Good image maker for you and us and God help you if something happens and someone gets hurt or worse. Too many people taking chances on the street.. Lost someone to a Street racer....
i agree with the street racing part but i doubt he will do this down town. this tends to attract the police. i am not clairvoyant but i am thinking this guy has a out of the way side street or industrial street he is thinking of. and yes out of town streets, side streets have the same wind and dirt a track built in a field has.

Aw **** it.

If I make drag week I'll put filters on.
Just ******* with Honda's and corvettes, I'm running open, **** it...

The air filter serves a pretty vital purpose. Why would you want to run without one?

I took my air filter off at the track and it made zero difference in ET. Convinced me to run one all the time

some rag wrote the air cleaners "straighten the air intake path" and running one without disrupts the airflow......??? If you got one, run it. Little if any gains I guess, but loads of benefits.

some rag wrote the air cleaners "straighten the air intake path" and running one without disrupts the airflow......??? If you got one, run it. Little if any gains I guess, but loads of benefits.

I build my own exhaust systems too, (not that it has anything to do w/ this thread), but on a really hot 406sbc vega, pulling the exhaust system off , made .003 diff. w/ open headers. I think that was because of the weight diff.. I always leave the k-n 14 x " thick as possible" air cleaner on too.

-
Back