"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-
I agree, that will be key to making it look it's best.

I'm not the worlds best bodyman, but I can get it real close.. I have a cousin that used to do show car quality body and paint work, maybe I can talk him into a 60's style real metal flake paint job when its ready... Silver metal flake with blue tinted windows and headlights with blue interior and "TRI-COUNTY SHAKER" done in goldleaf on the doors, MAYBE...

I'm in the mood to butcher something this mornin' ;)

I'm gonna go cut the Valiants gas filler hole out of the quarter panel and move it up higher so I can use it to fill my fuel cell (when I get one), I've already got a cuda pop open cap and a Jaz quick fill filler neck to go on the cell... I like the idea filling the cell from outside the car...

!BzsqJNwCWk~$(KGrHqQOKk!E)PPnozHvBM(Kg+cMJg~~_35.JPG

!BzbYPYQEWk~$(KGrHqQOKnMEw8+1SFTcBMWCBR!z)!~~_12.JPG

Great Project. I enjoyed reading thru it today.
My buddy and several of us helpers built a 57 Chevy straight axle drag car over the winter. It turned out nice and has a one piece tilt front end using all orginal sheetmetal.

Great Project. I enjoyed reading thru it today.
My buddy and several of us helpers built a 57 Chevy straight axle drag car over the winter. It turned out nice and has a one piece tilt front end using all orginal sheetmetal.

Thanks,
Now that some of the work is being done, maybe it'll get a little more interesting, pretty long intro wasn't it??? ;)

I need to get my own digital camera so I can update every couple of days, I got the gas filler hole cut out today and a patch welded back in.. My mom had a doc appointment at 2:00... I got a little project done today, I'm pleased with that.. I'll never understand why Plymouth mounted the Valiant gas filler hole so low on the quarter panel...

I,ll be keeping my eye out for pics of your flip-open gas cap.I just got one from DamRaider for my 66 Dart.I need to see your mounting procedure(of the cap)LOL.That didn,t sound right.LMAO.

I,ll be keeping my eye out for pics of your flip-open gas cap.I just got one from DamRaider for my 66 Dart.I need to see your mounting procedure(of the cap)LOL.That didn,t sound right.LMAO.

Your dart has the low mounted cap also doesn't it?? Mines not low anymore, havent figured out exactly where I'm going to relocate it yet.. I don't want the cell under the trunk floor.. Did you buy one of those adaptor ring things?? My cap should be here by this evening and I'll get started on it..

Just saw this thread last night. Nice work so far! I love the concept, can't wait to see it as it progresses. The "No Budget" caught my eye as shorter hours at work & growing cost of living is slowly making my Barracuda a no budget project. I am going to have to concentrate on areas that are labor intensive with little to no money needed. I would like to try & fabricate a recessed, tilted gas inlet with a flip top cap covering it so that I do not keep spilling gas down the side of my car. Someday I may be able to afford nice paint! I can picture what I want to do in my head just not sure how to make it work, yet.
Keep up the work. I am in Huntersville, NC; about 2+ hours away so if you ever need an extra set of hands or 2, let me know. I have a couple of good Mopar guys around that we go to shows with.

Just saw this thread last night. Nice work so far! I love the concept, can't wait to see it as it progresses. The "No Budget" caught my eye as shorter hours at work & growing cost of living is slowly making my Barracuda a no budget project. I am going to have to concentrate on areas that are labor intensive with little to no money needed. I would like to try & fabricate a recessed, tilted gas inlet with a flip top cap covering it so that I do not keep spilling gas down the side of my car. Someday I may be able to afford nice paint! I can picture what I want to do in my head just not sure how to make it work, yet.
Keep up the work. I am in Huntersville, NC; about 2+ hours away so if you ever need an extra set of hands or 2, let me know. I have a couple of good Mopar guys around that we go to shows with.

Thanks bro,
Hang around it's going to start gettin' interesting.. Its either no budget or no build for me, times are too tough for a lot of us to spend every dime we have on our projects... I've got plenty of LABOR to do while I'm hunting parts.. I'm buildin' this Valiant in my head all the time.. Hit your local scrap yards and try to find a good guy to deal with and start yanking parts to fund your build... I could have gotten more money for the spindles and a-arms, but time wasnt on my side, I needed a quick sell to grab that tunnel ram... It doesnt take a blank check to build a Cool car if you use your head...

Never been said better!!!

Are ya learnin' anything from us ole' schoolers little buddy??? ;)

It's been an awesome day, my sis was bringing my ebay parts over.. I had her to stop by harbor freight and get me some grinder wheels and a few re-placement lenses for my lil el-cheapo hand held shield.. She showed up with THIS, plus my grinder wheels and parts-------- Whatta sister....

image_2349.jpg

Description of Chicago Electric Welding Systems 91214

This welder’s helmet features a superior auto-darkening lens that makes this your best bet for arc, MIG or TIG welding. Plus, that lens measures a large 3-7/8" x 1-5/8" wide to give you a full view of your welding work area. Ratcheting headband and padded interior provide a comfortable fit, and the cool design makes it an auto-darkening welding helmet you’ll be proud to wear. Automatic power on/off with adjustable delay time.
  • Darkens in 1/25,000 second (clear #4 to dark state)
  • Variable shade control - shades #9 to #13
  • High/low light-sensitivity adjustment
  • UV/IR protection
Meets ANSI Z87.1-1989 standardsUses: TIG (over 10 amp), MIG/flux welding, Plasma arc welding/cutting, air carbon cutting, stick weldingComes with spare lens cover

Just eye mocking it up pettyblu.. My cap is going to mount right to the quarter panel no adaptor needed, because I'm re-locating it higher and not using the factory recessed hole.. I'm going to cut a hole, drill 4-screw holes and its mounted....

My new tunnel ram carb scoop idea.. Found this at the scrap yard, looks like some sort of flip up hood cover for a tractor or mower or something, looked like a T-Ram scoop to me, it will take some fabbin'...

I moved my gas filler hole up 5" on the quarter panel and installed a flip open Barracuda gas cap, total cost 9-bucks ;) ... I havent done any bodywork yet on the patch, just ground the weld down and shot some paint on it to keep it from rusting..

Ok so how in the heck did I miss this for so long! LoL GH great job so far man! Looks killer and way ahead of me! If you want send me your E-mail and i'll send you all 600 of my build pic's so far. My car is still for sale, im still building it and wanna finish it but have other things I wanna build to. Anyway nice to meet ya and cant wait to see your car done.

Looking good Hornet :cheers::bball: Looking real good =P~:thumbrig: here is a Friday cheer's to ya bro :drinkers:

A thousand pardons Mr. Hornet, I somehow missed this thread but now that I have found it I will definitely keep up with your build. Great progress so far my brother!!! You need some "Greenhornet stickers for that welding helmet!!!!!

A thousand pardons Mr. Hornet, I somehow missed this thread but now that I have found it I will definitely keep up with your build. Great progress so far my brother!!! You need some "Greenhornet stickers for that welding helmet!!!!!

Glad you stopped by maniac, its a slow go, tryin' to get a little done everyday on it... If I ever get finished makein' the floorboards I'm gonna start mini-tubbin and relocate the leaf springs...

Looking really good! That scoop looks good. Great job on the gas cap relocation. Imma need to get me a welder soon!!

Looking really good! That scoop looks good. Great job on the gas cap relocation. Imma need to get me a welder soon!!

Harbor freight has great deals on the little flux core migs, mine works great on sheet metal.. Helmet almost costed as much as the welder, you gotta have one if you wanna fab anything...

-
Back