"No Budget" 1966 Valiant 100 straight axle GASSER

-
The Harbor Freight in Charlotte had a "Parking Lot" sale this weekend. They had their 120 Amp mig that is normally $299.99 on sale for $139 & I got $28 off using one of those 20% off coupons that are in every magazine I get. $112 for a $300 mig was a deal I could not pass up! Now I have to start practicing.

The Harbor Freight in Charlotte had a "Parking Lot" sale this weekend. They had their 120 Amp mig that is normally $299.99 on sale for $139 & I got $28 off using one of those 20% off coupons that are in every magazine I get. $112 for a $300 mig was a deal I could not pass up! Now I have to start practicing.

Sounds like a score, you'll get good at it with pratice... A lot of my tools come from Harbor Freight, I put everything I have to the test... I have a 1/2 Milwaukee drill that hurts me everytime I use it, when it bites it bites, it'll twist you around in a circle, I hate that damn drill, it didn't come from HF...

I did get one other small thing done last week, drilled out the holes in the rear frame to relocate my shackles, hardware store wanted $45.00 for a 1" bit, I borrowed a buddys... Also scored 2 cans of flat white paint at the local junk store for 2-bucks----- "BUDGET BABY"!!!!

that stuff is gonna be damn tough! hardhat paint. they dont make it anymore as people were using it for graffiti and they couldnt get it to come off!!!

that stuff is gonna be damn tough! hardhat paint. they dont make it anymore as people were using it for graffiti and they couldnt get it to come off!!!

Sounds like just what I need to paint floorpans top and bottom... Some of this factory undercoating is like concrete, gonna have to heat it up to get most of it off...

pettybludart did the same thing on his 66 Dart build :cheers:, he welded a thick washer around it I believe Hornet. he has it in his restoration thread.
Yep I have had drills that would send me across the room back in the day :-D
I have never seen that paint before8) it must be some good stuff for sure :happy10:

I hop you don't mind me doing this

pettybludart did the same thing on his 66 Dart build :cheers:, he welded a thick washer around it I believe Hornet. he has it in his restoration thread.
Yep I have had drills that would send me across the room back in the day :-D
I have never seen that paint before8) it must be some good stuff for sure :happy10:

I hop you don't mind me doing this

I'm always open to ideas memike, sounds like a plan with the washers, frame is thin on the outsides, that should really strengthen it up.... I'm about ready to throw that drill in the creek ;) got 3 skinned knuckles and my head slapped up against the trunk floor drilling those two holes out...

Finally scored my own digital camera, it sould be here by monday... I'm still burnin' floorboard this week, should be finished by this weekend and I can move on to something else...

!B1YiRLw!mk~$(KGrHqQOKnEEw9FtdZVWBMeUMfiYmg~~_12.JPG

Sounds like just what I need to paint floorpans top and bottom... Some of this factory undercoating is like concrete, gonna have to heat it up to get most of it off...
Be sure to wear a good mask/half-mask. That stuff is real toxic! lol, nice camera! I had a similar one a while back. lets just say it took a swim in the lake and never came back. should do real well! Hope you get the floorboards finsihed sir crafty!

GreenHornet,great minds think alike(flip gas cap)I have one sitting here from member Damraider for the 66 Dart.Was it hard to install,modify?Anyway here,s a pic of the washer welded outside of the rear holes for spring relocation.Hope they help..:-D

P.S Thanks for the mention MeMike,I like to help others also(pay it forward)
View attachment 172985

View attachment 172986

If you relocate it theres no modifications except drilling the holes in your quarter panel, If you mount it in the factory hole you will need a spacer.. I needed 3 hands installing mine, only have 2 so I got it just a little off center but the cap rubber still seals, not that it matters on mine, I'll have a cell...

Be sure to wear a good mask/half-mask. That stuff is real toxic! lol, nice camera! I had a similar one a while back. lets just say it took a swim in the lake and never came back. should do real well! Hope you get the floorboards finsihed sir crafty!

I'm not even gonna ask why she threw it in the lake... This camera is like the one I always borrow, simple to use and takes great pics... Now I'm gonna make y'all really suffer through this build with me, one pic at a time....

Finally got my new/used digital camera... Now I can do regular updates.. Got the outside firewall part of the tranny tunnel all welded and ground down, passenger side floorboard is welded in and I like having 2 pieces welded down to finish the driver side (ran out of mig wire)... Then I'll grind down all the welds, fiberglass the seams then do the same to the underside....

Your making good progress GH,it sure brings back memories.I really enjoyed modifying my 66 Dart and got a real sense of accomplishment once it was done.Now I,m thinking about another to start,maybe a Cuda fastback this time before they all dissapear.Keep up the good work!:cheers:

Your making good progress GH,it sure brings back memories.I really enjoyed modifying my 66 Dart and got a real sense of accomplishment once it was done.Now I,m thinking about another to start,maybe a Cuda fastback this time before they all dissapear.Keep up the good work!:cheers:

Thanks bro...
This floorboard has been a nitemare, from the seat brackets forward its S-10 tailgate, '87 T-type regal trunk floor, 55 gallon barrel metal and a few pieces cut out of the falcon hood.... Its a good time to be shopping for another project, winters comming... Popular leaves are already starting to fall....

Tryin' out the new camera on close ups.. Heres a model I'm working on, I guess you can tell I love to build altered wheel base straight axle cars... The Valiant will finally be a real one...

memike, I posted a couple of pic updates on the bottom of page 12.. I've been trying out the new camera today... Heres where I grew up...

Digging the new camera =P~ Your floor boards look Tuff and strong GH :thumbrig: and that gasser build is to cool, You sure have a creative touch brother :burnout:
I bet you did allot of hunting arount that place and built a few forts as a child in the wood's :happy10: That is beautiful

Thanks memike, it was simple times back then... Now that I scored a camera you guys can see more of the build in progress... I feel dangerous with this thing ;)
Got rid of the heater, radio, E-brake and hood latch, only lost 22 pounds, oh well, thay had to go, We're all BUSINESS...

I'm pretty excited gettin' ready to finish up the floorboard, the brown primer area was the only part of the factory floor that I could save...

you're comin right along. great work. wish it was cool enough here for me to work on mine. it'll get there though. so that's where you grew up? yer just a dang hillbilly. lol

Your car is gonna be a serious headturner on the streets. People will just be like "what in the world?!" lol

-
Back