OBDII scanner / software reasonable priced?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
The newly running White Whale III (01 5.9 2wd auto) has a problem, the PCM is not activating the OD/ converter lock.

Anyone have good ideas on a scanner/ dongle/ software that will diagnose transmission problems reasonable?

That's a pretty big order. Many of the $300-500 scanners will access transmissions but you may not get what info you need. Check out Launch Tech. They are pretty good. The Bosch based tool is good. They write the software for many of the oem manufacturers.

OBD2 CAN BUSS, generics will only reset codes, the more expensive ones will show you sensor readouts,. like TPS, fuel, etc. I believe all will show a trans code if its a PCM related item. I got one for $39 but all it does is show codes, MON, and resets.

The newly running White Whale III (01 5.9 2wd auto) has a problem, the PCM is not activating the OD/ converter lock.

Anyone have good ideas on a scanner/ dongle/ software that will diagnose transmission problems reasonable?
A reasonably priced scanner that will access most modules is the Autel Maxi Check. You can get it through Napa and other parts stores. It was created by people that came up with the Launch

Out of curiosity, how do you know the PCM is the problem? My 2000 5.9 does the same thing and would like to correct.

I DONT know that, but it is going to take diagnostics to find out, unless I "luck out." The thing is getting voltage but not a ground from the PCM

The "flow chart" mentions things like the speed sensor, but the 1-2-3 shift seems normal, and the speedo works. Seems like that is OK

They mention TPS, but it runs normal otherwise, that seems some unlikely. There are no errors indicated on the cluster.

A reasonably priced scanner that will access most modules is the Autel Maxi Check. You can get it through Napa and other parts stores. It was created by people that came up with the Launch

Thanks that's still 200 bucks and more. I'll consider that. Maybe I can find a local independent mechanic to run this for "a few bucks"

Before you do that, go over all your grounds really well. Make sure they are sanded clean and tight and none missing. Bad pcm grounds can drive you nuts.

switc
My 92 had/has an overdrive or lockup issue and has been traced to the VSS or TPS not giving a steady signal. I found 2 weak grounds and 1 loose wire in the VSS switch pin plug. my overdrive is now solid.

Thanks that's still 200 bucks and more. I'll consider that. Maybe I can find a local independent mechanic to run this for "a few bucks"
Too bad high end shops and dealers that repair these kinds of issues need $2-3000 scan tools and/or factory equipment to fix problems like this.
It's unfortunate that people expect that kind of a tool for less than $200 and worse yet hope that those high end technicians would find it and fix it for "a few bucks". Sorry for the rant but I worked at a dealership for 13 years and I was a MAC Tool Dealer for 28. I have a hard time following your logic.

Well I might be getting somewhere. I searched around and you can flip the ignition power on 3 times, leave it on the third time, and the odometer!!! will read out the codes. Then turn on the ignition, the headlights, and remove the battery ground, and it clears

SO.......it occurred to me, when I pushed this thing around front, the O2 sensor connector got caught "on the way off" the hoist, and yanked the O2 wires in half. MAYBE when this happened, the wiring for the PCM to OD solenoid got stretched and broke, it's on the same harness.

Tomorrow (I JUST got in about 9:pM!!!) I'll check continuity from the PCM to the shift / OD solenoid connector and see where we stand.

"I bet" this is the deal

-
Back