Oh man, how embarrasing. (Uncle Tony/Nick's Garage)

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done some cyl heads for a local puller.. He's competes in Super Farm, not as elaborate as the Pro Stocks in the previous videos.. BUT ! the datalogger shows 93 lbs of boost on average !
I'm sure the Pro Stocks are well over that. They're not limited to turbo inlet size.
That's why they spit in twain !

Last edited:
Some of you guys are probably right that this was all a publicity stunt, and that's fine.
But what about the noob that watched and followed that 13 hours of instruction on a motor?
I can only imagine they had an "Oh crap" moment when they saw what that motor did.:eek:

Some of you guys are probably right that this was all a publicity stunt, and that's fine.
But what about the noob that watched and followed that 13 hours of instruction on a motor?
I can only imagine they had an "Oh crap" moment when they saw what that motor did.:eek:

Exactly! That was a 'here's what not to do' video.

Just think of how many more views there would be if had actually dun blowed up enough to need the bag of oil dry!!

Just think of how many more views there would be if had actually dun blowed up enough to need the bag of oil dry!!

Yeah... my thought too.
You're right though, went well, all things considered.

Fail or no fail I loved the series and loved the video of the dyno testing. I learned alot of do's and don'ts from it.

I thought it was a great series for a new generation of enthusiasts. What to do, what you can get away with and what you cant. If people are researching the topic, i would hope they question everything. I cant believe how much crap was in the oil filter. I cant believe the main bearings and oil pump were ok. It came down to miss matched lifters and push rods. Brian and Tony really went out on a limb...Good guys. Im glad they had the balls to do it. I cant wait to see the next dyno pull.

Why not? More views easily. In a sea of people going for the money grab it's just another day of shenanigans hoping for the bigger check that week.

Nicks been doing it for a while on YT with an already established business. So long as he can do the work as he currently does he will be fine. The other guy will fall off.

Unless you have a crazy known fan base you better have some really unique content to grow it. Time will tell....

JW

It was not a publicity stunt-I'm sure of it. UTG and LOG wholeheartedly believed it would be a success. There is an old saying--"There is no such thing as bad publicity" They can't lose and that's my philosophy as well--Why not show your errors ? It's how we learn and remember. That is one of the reasons why I started this thread --to steer people who just don't know any better.

What has happened quite often to me is this: Guy gets engine rebuilt by local hack for big $$$ ( I have an example of a 318 being rebuilt for $12k CDN--No lie)--engine sucks in every way. Guy eventually comes my way. So now being sympathetic like I tend to be--I get the task of restoring law and order to Guy's life for literally 1/3 of the local hacks price. I seriously have many examples of this but only one example involving a 318. I built a 318 w/EQ heads and dynoed it, crated it and shipped it across the country for a little over a third of local garage hack guy. Oh and that engine made over 380HP on pump gas.

Yes it pisses me off. Big time. This ^^^^^ is why I started this thread.

That is not the way to build a 318 or a 350 Chev or anything even a washing machine--I know I've done it. I have lost ALL respect for UTG and hope less people blindly follow. Yes he's allowed to do as he sees fit--its still a free country thank god. That he has a forum to stand in front of is amazing and scary at the same time. I won't be a part of it and thats a choice I still have.

J.Rob

It was not a publicity stunt-I'm sure of it. UTG and LOG wholeheartedly believed it would be a success. There is an old saying--"There is no such thing as bad publicity" They can't lose and that's my philosophy as well--Why not show your errors ? It's how we learn and remember. That is one of the reasons why I started this thread --to steer people who just don't know any better.

What has happened quite often to me is this: Guy gets engine rebuilt by local hack for big $$$ ( I have an example of a 318 being rebuilt for $12k CDN--No lie)--engine sucks in every way. Guy eventually comes my way. So now being sympathetic like I tend to be--I get the task of restoring law and order to Guy's life for literally 1/3 of the local hacks price. I seriously have many examples of this but only one example involving a 318. I built a 318 w/EQ heads and dynoed it, crated it and shipped it across the country for a little over a third of local garage hack guy. Oh and that engine made over 380HP on pump gas.

That is not the way to build a 318 or a 350 Chev or anything even a washing machine--I know I've done it. I have lost ALL respect for UTG and hope less people blindly follow. Yes he's allowed to do as he sees fit--its still a free country thank god. That he has a forum to stand in front of is amazing and scary at the same time. I won't be a part of it and thats a choice I still have.

J.Rob
Agreed you have no idea how many big buck builds come into nicks and he is stuck repairing the clusterfuck some so called shop put together , lots of crap out there that people spend big money on , thank god there are a few good shops like yours out there . UT is entertaining , that is about it , would not trust hito build my lawnmower

J.Rob
1000% AGREE..... I feel the same. That's why I offered to help fix that mess if someone could get the guy in contact with me, if he was interested. That offer stands, but we shall see.

Now yall wanna see a dirty crusty engine...this thing makes UTG 318 look like a jewel...this is a 392 hemi a customer wants me to build
20200605_101154.jpg

Now yall wanna see a dirty crusty engine...this thing makes UTG 318 look like a jewel...this is a 392 hemi a customer wants me to buildView attachment 1715540881

LOL...did many many flat heads that looked just like that. Other stuff too, but it seemed that flat heads were buried in a lake for decades and then are fished out after a season under water.

Probably because hes trying to make a living by being a YouTube star. And not teaching anything of value doing so. You know, instead of running a actual legit business.

Hows that not a legit business ?

We as people love content be it movies, books, music, tv now Youtube, and there nothing wrong with that, and nothing wrong with making money, there's good and bad info out there and even here on this forum it up to people to figure it out.

I really don't understand "most" of this. I thought Tony was supposed to be a super duper mech. I realize anybody can eff up Lord knows I'm at the top of that list. But nobody is payin me to throw wrenches at engines, either. And I don't claim to have been on a dragster team or any of the rest of it. I just don't get it.

Just speculating, but maybe there was a little UTG ego in play there.

Like, “I’m so good I can sling together some grubby old 318 in a day and still have it make 300hp”.

And/or.......”kid........ step aside.......lemme show you how it’s done”

I can’t believe Tony or Nick would agree to this insanity. Idt lifters and pushrods fixed the oil pressure problem. Cam bearings, hi pressure op spring and thicker oil probably did. I never utg b4 and sure never after this stunt. And not to notice the push rods were that loose. Come on man. Kim

1000% AGREE..... I feel the same. That's why I offered to help fix that mess if someone could get the guy in contact with me, if he was interested. That offer stands, but we shall see.
Luna Garage replied the other Day to me and thank me for the link we were discussing the other day so I suppose the ball is in his court. I think his name is Nathan .

I bought a couple parts from Tony, he knows his parts, but obviously has limitations. You can tell this wasnt Nick's idea.
Ya gotta ask, why the "rush" to get engine "done" if it's for the 72? LOTS to do on that before its gonna need an engine lol.

Without the “deadline”, there’s less drama.

It’s like many of the car shows that gravitate away from tech type content, and replace it with “drama”.

The proof that drama sells?
Look at all the views that video at Nicks got.
For a nothing motor, that was poorly executed, that they ended up having to abort the testing with.

It’s not about showing anyone how to do it......or not do it.
It’s about the number of views.

It was a “show”.

Last edited:
Anyone see the Charger episode where it sat for 10 years.
Tell me why that 383 didn't start.
It had fuel (lots), and spark.
This is why Nicks Garage annoys me a bit sometimes.
That motor should have had the plugs pulled and cylinders oiled before they ever moved a piston for one.
Yea, they primed the motor but that doesn't oil cylinders.

Then after apparently not oiling the cylinders, pouring a pint of fuel down it's throat. (Bad idea for already dry cylinders)

It was trying but the timing was too far advanced so what, a pro like Nick couldn't tell that?
That motor was screaming it loud and clear with those starter kickbacks and carb pops.
After the battery was charged better it would have fired off if it wasn't for the timing being advanced too far.

No way I would have run that engine up to 5000 with that oil pressure. Something was obviously wrong and adding revs wasn't going to fix it. I've run across those same symptoms before where someone put in standard bearings on a .010 under crank. Great oil pressure when cold, but, soon as that oil heated and thinned a bit, the oil pressure was crap. I didn't watch the mega video where they built the engine, so, maybe that was already eliminated as a cause. I find it hard to believe it could be anything in the lifter area causing that sort of oil pressure problem unless an oil gallery plug is missing or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back