oh so close......

-
My buddy Randy was at the same choice-point YEARS ago. We 'rescued' a couple 360 cores out of the back of a barn on a 20 degree below zero winter which you'd think would have solidified the direction he would take. A couple weeks later I talked him into an 11:1 451 low-deck we built for $4500 carb to pan with a lot of free-work from me. (we're close friends and trade often) It ran 134mph thru 3" mufflers ON MOTOR. It's just hard to beat a BB when it comes to bang for the buck.

I have a little under 7500.00 in my R3 422 including everything but headers and carb, and I got those super cheap. It’s gone 9.42@138mph with a solid lifter cam for five years of bracket racing with almost zero maintenance. I had a 1150 alcohol carb done by APD because by myself my dreams of trying heads up stuff is slowly disappearing. Stephen would probably kill me if I bracket raced that car as he’s been trying to buy it back but at this point I have to run the car.

I have a little under 7500.00 in my R3 422 including everything but headers and carb, and I got those super cheap. It’s gone 9.42@138mph with a solid lifter cam for five years of bracket racing with almost zero maintenance. I had a 1150 alcohol carb done by APD because by myself my dreams of trying heads up stuff is slowly disappearing. Stephen would probably kill me if I bracket raced that car as he’s been trying to buy it back but at this point I have to run the car.
Don't give up on the blue car. We need to see that one make some passes.

hoping santa brings me a scale!!! ive never weighed it.
5.9l came with car so running 9's was a goal from the start. i have thought about low deck also, but at this point stepping up depends on parts availability for any platform. i dont think bobzilla is orlo? he can answer that.

5.9l came with car so running 9's was a goal from the start. i have thought about low deck also, but at this point stepping up depends on parts availability for any platform. i dont think bobzilla is orlo? he can answer that.
I'd bet you're limited by valvetrain with that combo. I'm sure there's deep 9's in that combo but, you may have to spend some $ upgrading the valvetrain.

I have no idea what the orlo reference was about. Lol.

You guys have something that isn't really common. I have been around the area for a long time so, I thought maybe I knew at least one of you in some capacity.

You guys have something that isn't really common. I have been around the area for a long time so, I thought maybe I knew at least one of you in some capacity.
I don't recognize your Valiant so I assume we never met. Mine is just a street car that should be back on the track for test and tune action next year, after finally getting it running again this year. Looking forward to seeing your Valiant in person next year.

other than living in arizona for a dozen years, been around area for some time. i dont hit alot of car shows/cruise nights with duster. prefer ac in ram!! what can i say, i'm old man.
other than lighter valve train parts,not sure if gains/price are worth it. i like the hydraulc roller.
007.JPG

i am thinking about e85. pro's/cons anyone???

other than living in arizona for a dozen years, been around area for some time. i dont hit alot of car shows/cruise nights with duster. prefer ac in ram!! what can i say, i'm old man.
other than lighter valve train parts,not sure if gains/price are worth it. i like the hydraulc roller.View attachment 1715827019
I don't mind reviewing your valvetrain, let me know! Bob, What car do you own?

In my very, VERY limited experience with E85, I drove a friend's racecar that was 12.5/1 on E85 for a few races. Most vivid memory was sitting idling in the staging lanes, to get it warmed up, for ten minutes, in 95° california weather.
If that is appealing, well....
It sure does make nice power, though.

Looks like Milan drag strip will Be a go for 2022! Still kicking around some thought’s,maybe bee hive springs with aluminum rockers?

I am looking forward to seeing the new year with new owners and the reopening of Milan Dragway. Come on 2022, don’t let us down.

It’s a lot of material. Gas tank forward. Pump, lines & carb add up real quick. As long as the quality of the E85 is good, it’s a nice gain if your engine needs the higher octane. The lower BTU return on E85 is the only draw back. Maybe the smell? IDK

Thanks rumblefish360 for comments. I run stock gas tank, have e85 conversion for carb, 1/2 fuel line. Only major cost is pump and regulator plus my time learning e85 tuning. Lots of stations by me carry e85. Just looking for that little extra 2 tenths to run 9’s with 5.9l. Bobzilla is right about leaving a little on the table .

You’ll see more improvement with the switch to e85 if you’re running lots of compression. What you will likely benefit most from being a nitrous car is the detonation resistance. Down side is volume. You need lots of it.

-
Back