Oil pump priming issue

-
put the little tube into the outlet hole and p-u-m-p while turning the crank the opposite direction about 1/4 turn. Easier to pack it off the motor

Primed a small block yesterday,,,,poured a small amount of oil in the pump went I assembled it a couple of weeks ago....I use a speed wrench and turn the pump by hand....after a few seconds of cranking I had 60 psi of oil....

Primed a small block yesterday,,,,poured a small amount of oil in the pump went I assembled it a couple of weeks ago....I use a speed wrench and turn the pump by hand....after a few seconds of cranking I had 60 psi of oil....
Huh,? I'm lost. Always used the hex tool.and drill. Not knocking you, at all, but I like to learn new or unorthodox ways.

5/16 socket on hex tool....speed handle on socket.....dam...i will take a picture for you tomorrow,,,,lol

I think we have different terminology for things... us un- ed- ucated Southern Simple folk just talk funny. But we have 5/16" hex head sockets, on the male end, for 3/8" drive applications.... and Grandpa's ol spinner...

Ive heard packing the oil pump with molly lube before installing and it will prime itself. Also if you use a differential fluid pump you can pump oil into the pumps outlet (outside threads) prior to installing filter and it will prime.

Gotya. Fyi this is not my car or engine. I always pack the pump myself. My friend has this problem. I was thinking about the oil filter side with all the holes! I just don't do this stuff much anymore. Now I just have to go over there now and try it. I believe this will work if there isn't something not hooked up. Thanks.

I think we have different terminology for things... us un- ed- ucated Southern Simple folk just talk funny. But we have 5/16" hex head sockets, on the male end, for 3/8" drive applications.... and Grandpa's ol spinner...

picture

20211020_094540.jpg

make sure you got the oil pressure sender in or blocked! I did that with a drill and got a guyser of 30w right up my left nostril. Not comfortable!
really.....lol

that was just a set up picture to show him what i was using.....later I hooked up the gauge and primed it before i installed the intake manifold

Thanks for the tip mate, love the hex socket and wrench combo

How did you discover that you forgotten it? I found out after I fired the engine up. It had oil pressure but lower than I'd like. Bedded cam in and engine oil got warm and oil pressure suddenly dropped to nothing so I shut it down. Engine sounded fine, cam has all it's lobes, but yeah wasn't the best situation.

Edit: Job done - this was the best tip ever. Wacked some sealant on the threads, plug in place, hex socket and spanner and screwed it straight in.
I had primed mine after engine was installed and without a pressure gauge. Had oil to all rockers. Slapped on valve covers and distributor, then fired it up. Mine is hydraulic roller cam and the lifters were reused from it’s previous build, so I was not too worried about break-in. Started and ran well but had lifter or rocker arm noise from left side.
After it cooled off, I checked rocker adjustment again with no problem found.

Then I pulled the distributor to run the oil pump again. This time I noticed a lot of oil splashing around inside the distributor hole, just like you saw. Checked with a mirror and that plug was missing. Later found that plug “in a safe place where I won’t forget to install it.” The arm of my engine stand was obstructing that area of the block. I was going to install that plug and the exterior plug once the engine was off the stand, but clearly I missed that while rushing it together. Completely my fault.

As long as you know that the right way is the wrong way on a big block. As in the pump turns anti-clockwise on a big block.
ran into that on a GM...Oldsmobile i think it was, put the wires on with the Chevy firing order 18436572, oh yeah thats the firing order just going counter clockwise...WTF LOL! :)

-
Back