Old fuel disposal or use ?

-
Dont burn old gas. A guy I know drained the gas out of his 55 chevy and used it in his lawnmower. Next thing you know he had the mower on the trailer at my house because it wouldnt run. Valves gummed up and hung open. Bent pushrods but luckily the valves were fine.
I give my old gas/oil to a neighbor to fuel his bon fires.
Hmmmm......The gas! I always thought that was just a Chevy thing:lol:

Just to be clear- I said I used it in my non-smog step van, diluted with the fresh gas in the tank. I did it all the time!
I wouldn’t use it in a lawn mower, etc. I guess you could, if diluted with enough fresh gas, but that could take years. Old gas is what screwed up the small engine in the first place. Again, old gas damage was the number one repair I did on outdoor power equipment!

Add a few gallons at a time to a tank with several gallons of good gas. It'll burn. I used to do this on my carbureted, no cat con step van engine. I did it often, as I used to run a mobile small engine biz, and the number one repair was cleaning out old gas, which I then had to get rid of.
I can't speak to something that has smog stuff and/or a computer.
I am lucky. I have an old tractor LOL. I mix no more than about 1:4 at a time, 1: bad has to 4: fresh

I also use it to clean parts. I even do that with 2 stroke gas. A little oil in the fuel doesn't hurt a thing!!!

Flat tire earlier this summer, that backhoe makes a great jack!!

img_3577cs-jpg.jpg

I am lucky. I have an old tractor LOL. I mix no more than about 1:4 at a time, 1: bad has to 4: fresh

I also use it to clean parts. I even do that with 2 stroke gas. A little oil in the fuel doesn't hurt a thing!!!

Flat tire earlier this summer, that backhoe makes a great jack!!

View attachment 1716048610
Some of it smells too bad to clean parts!!

After you get it out of the tank, smell it.
If it smells like turpentine or solvent, use it for wash gas or fires or maybe killing weeds.
If it's not too bad and still smells like gas, use it up in a lower compression non emissions engine 4 or 5:1.

1...Pick a neighbor you don't like

2....You know what to do. Fill it up!!

My education with gasoline.

I had a box of old checks. I wanted to dispose of them. I took the box of checks and knowing that they would not burn completely in the fireplace dribbled a bit of gasoline in the box.

I set the box in the fire place and realized I forgot the matches.

When I came back I lit a match and brought it near to the fireplace opening.

WOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF!

a couple singed hairs later.

Moral of the story. Don't play around with gasoline.

A local guy blew up his garage with gas fumes.

Give it to a farmer with an old tractor. If it has a sediment bowl, it will burn anything.

Agree ^^^

Filter it with paint filters to get the fines out of it. Any water in it stays at the bottom of gas can. So leave a half pint of the gas in the bottom of the gas can to pour out.

The rest of the gas pour into an old farm tractor fire it up and let her run 1/2 throttle to burn up the gas. They burn like 5 gallons per hour.

Got rid of a lot of stale gas in a day without pouring it out onto the ground. Mix a good gallon of gas with it, it will burn.

About the safest best way to dispose of it.

A mopar engine on the run stand works good too, with a good gas filter on it.

Agree ^^^

Filter it with paint filters to get the fines out of it. Any water in it stays at the bottom of gas can. So leave a half pint of the gas in the bottom of the gas can to pour out.

The rest of the gas pour into an old farm tractor fire it up and let her run 1/2 throttle to burn up the gas. They burn like 5 gallons per hour.

Got rid of a lot of stale gas in a day without pouring it out onto the ground. Mix a good gallon of gas with it, it will burn.

About the safest best way to dispose of it.

A mopar engine on the run stand works good too, with a good gas filter on it.
5 GPH ? 2 1/2 H2O 2 1/2 GAS ?

Small amounts, I catch in a glass jar and use to clean parts. If draining several gallons from my Mopars where it was sitting over a year, I add 1 gal per fillup in my M-B diesel, which some people do routinely in winter. I'll also use some in my lawnmower. If it smokes, I'm glad I didn't risk gumming up my car's fuel system.

An old timer told me years ago that gasoline is safe to use on the ground because it evaporates or dissolves before it can reach the water table.. don't know how true that is but it's been my go-to weed killer ever since

An old timer told me years ago that gasoline is safe to use on the ground because it evaporates or dissolves before it can reach the water table.. don't know how true that is but it's been my go-to weed killer ever since
Gasoline and oil also float on water, so shouldn't get beneath the water table. Probably depends on the soil as to how fast it evaporates. I would guess fast in the U.S. coastal plains (ex Florida), where the sand is permeable and the water table close to the surface. In older days, people in Florida would pour oil on ponds and creeks to spread and suffocate mosquito larvae. Many herbicides still have oil to disperse it on leaf surfaces.

Try it in your lawn mower.

If it won't run, it's fairly easy to drain the tank.

Try it in your lawn mower.

If it won't run, it's fairly easy to drain the tank.
If it's a type of mower where gas gravity feeds to the carb (which most are), it'll go right into the bowl and make a mess, requiring disassembly to clean it out.

I do mix mine somewhat less then 50/50 with known good gas.

-
Back