On a Budget? Say No to Rear Disks

-
My 11" rear drums cost free fifty free and came off a 68 Dodge pickup. I dont car how my drums look through my 18" wheels either.

So , when you guys go to 11" drums do you have to mess around with the proportioning
or any thing else ? will they fit under 14' rims ?

Not only will they fit under 14' rims, they'll even work under 14" rims. :)
Sorry, couldn't resist that.

Seriously, I too have to question the value of rear disc conversions on 8 3/4's. in addition to buying a kit made up of mis-matched components, you have to use Green bearings or convert to Ford 9" axle tube ends and use Ford bearings. By the time you add up all the parts and labor costs, it's no wonder so many guys just switch to a custom built 9" with discs.
On my son's car we used a Summit kit, actually made by SSB and it worked pretty well. We did this because he really wanted discs and were swapping to big bolt pattern axles anyway, but I still wonder about the longevity of green bearings on a street driven car.
My Duster has an 8 1/4 with 10" drums and on the next phase build I will probably retain that axle and either use the GC discs or 11" drums. My car is driven a lot harder than his and I want to try my hand at auto cross when it's back on the road.

GM metric calipers, Lincoln rotors and a set of $25 brackets....

Hiya Ink,
This sounds like a great way to go. Do you have some specifics on what to get? Like part numbers, or some photos, links, etc?

I also like the Jeep Cherokee idea, as well, but all indications say that my 8.75 RE will require more work than bolting-on.

Either way, this is what FABO is all about - figurin' stuff out!

On my son's car we used a Summit kit, actually made by SSB and it worked pretty well. We did this because he really wanted discs and were swapping to big bolt pattern axles anyway,...

I think that is one of the unstated reasons that people start considering Rear Dics - The trouble to go to the larger Bolt pattern.

I think that is one of the unstated reasons that people start considering Rear Dics - The trouble to go to the larger Bolt pattern.

Exactly. I figure, if I have to change the rear brakes, how much more will it cost to go discs?

ALL -
Also, someone asked about proportioning valve changes when going to bigger drums out back. Since no one responded, I guess that means no new proportioning valve is needed.

However, if discs are swapped out on the rear, I would think a new proportioning valve (adjustable?) would be required. Is that correct?

Exactly. I figure, if I have to change the rear brakes, how much more will it cost to go discs?

ALL -
Also, someone asked about proportioning valve changes when going to bigger drums out back. Since no one responded, I guess that means no new proportioning valve is needed.

However, if discs are swapped out on the rear, I would think a new proportioning valve (adjustable?) would be required. Is that correct?

Correct. A different prop valve should be used. I do recommend the adjustable prop valve, anything else is just a compromise. I actually use them on my drum brake cars also.

Correct. A different prop valve should be used. I do recommend the adjustable prop valve, anything else is just a compromise. I actually use them on my drum brake cars also.

What is the best way to adjust a prop valve?

What is the best way to adjust a prop valve?

Without upsetting the neighbors, do some rapid stops and adjust until the front brakes lock just before the rears. I usually start with the valve all the way open and then back it off two turns as a starting point.

Without upsetting the neighbors, do some rapid stops and adjust until the front brakes lock just before the rears. I usually start with the valve all the way open and then back it off two turns as a starting point.

Thanks I plan to do a complete rebuild of my brakes. I am trying to see if a C body has bigger disc brakes in the front for my Cordoba.

From what I've read the Jeep Cherokee rear discs are nearly a direct bolt on. A problem was found in wheel to caliper clearance though.

What year Jeep Cherokees?

I got a rear right stuff kit for $300 and no shipping (because I picked it up). I thought that was a good deal and I saved myself sometime looking in junk yards.

I got a rear right stuff kit for $300 and no shipping (because I picked it up). I thought that was a good deal and I saved myself sometime looking in junk yards.

Yeah they are around for cheap.

Hiya Ink,
This sounds like a great way to go. Do you have some specifics on what to get? Like part numbers, or some photos, links, etc?

I also like the Jeep Cherokee idea, as well, but all indications say that my 8.75 RE will require more work than bolting-on.

Either way, this is what FABO is all about - figurin' stuff out!

Somebody please chime in on this!!!...I'm intrested!!

-
Back