Opinions please

-
That thing sounds like a marine engine, people let them sit and don't properly winterize them. BUT, I can see the same thing happening with a car engine. Depending on how ya feel about the guy, I would want my hourly rate, and let him have his plie of rusty engine parts back. I wouldn't reassemble, he would get the parts in bags and boxes. I wouldn't deliver, he would have to come get it.

This is when things went south. ..." I also let him know that I have purchased a few parts planning on a future 396 build and that put me even more into it than the labor that we both agreed to trade the engine itself for. He got mad and hung up."... In his mind your motive was to "score" a good catch of an engine, regardless of the fact it's a pile. The interest you expressed in keeping it, leaves him thinking you're trying to pull one on him. This one you're going to be cutting loose, and the right one will come along that's meant for you.

That thing sounds like a marine engine, people let them sit and don't properly winterize them. BUT, I can see the same thing happening with a car engine. Depending on how ya feel about the guy, I would want my hourly rate, and let him have his plie of rusty engine parts back. I wouldn't reassemble, he would get the parts in bags and boxes. I wouldn't deliver, he would have to come get it.

It's a truck engine. It's nowhere near as dirty or rusty now as I have cleaned it up a good deal.

Rusty,
I think at some time or another all of us have gone thru something like this. Im a huge believer in the fact that sometimes a customer needs to be fired. In your case a firing means to call him to come and get all his parts. I would not tell him he has no bill. I would tell him that the labor is $200. Explain again that you had 10+ hours in the tear down at the agreed upon discounted $20 per hour. Before he arrives I would write in a clause on the receipt that says he is refusing to make payment due to his distrust in you. If he refuses to sign you have lost nothing, however if he has the balls to look you in the eyes and refuse to either sign or pay the $200 you will always have the paperwork to show people how low he has stooped to skip out on making good on his word. During the whole process you should smile and kill him with kindness. Im sure you will feel good about how you handled it!
Best of Luck,
Always know that you are a good guy, I know that for sure because a year ago I needed some bolts for a carb and you sent me some at no cost. I didnt even have to ask, they just showed up! Not many would have done that. Yes you may have some opinions that we all question at times but your a hell of a good guy!
As for the Plantar Fasciitis, i've had that for over 10 years now. I sold my auto repair business because I could not stand on the concrete for more then about 2 hours a day. I took a sales job and after about 3 years off my feet sitting on my *** driving from one customer to another it has gotten much better.
Best of luck,
Rod

I recently dumped a customer like that. You don’t need customers like that and you darn sure don’t need friends like that. IMO you did nothing wrong. He thought he could get away using you. I’d politely dump him.

I got too much skin in the game to just let him get away with it now. The guy is gonna bad mouth me either way, so I am hangin on to the engine. I have the tear down labor, plus I've knocked the cam bearings out and freeze plugs and all the pipe plugs. It's ready for the machine shop. No way in hell is he gonna pay what I have in it now, and I am not just going to give it to him. I've been talkin to a few other people that know him and they all know how he is, so I am not worried about my reputation. lol

I got too much skin in the game to just let him get away with it now. The guy is gonna bad mouth me either way, so I am hangin on to the engine. I have the tear down labor, plus I've knocked the cam bearings out and freeze plugs and all the pipe plugs. It's ready for the machine shop. No way in hell is he gonna pay what I have in it now, and I am not just going to give it to him. I've been talkin to a few other people that know him and they all know how he is, so I am not worried about my reputation. lol
That is exactly how it goes most of the time. You know yourself and you know what is right so who cares what people say or assume about you. People suck hind tit and will always talk **** just because they can.

Let some time go and dust settle and move on IMO

The guy is a wicked looosaah. He was informed more than once that it was a very rusted and stuck pile of iron. $200 or forget about it was agreed upon. A deal is a deal. If he did not want to spend $200 he should have disassembled it himself. Oh wait, he is not smart enough to do it!

You got it figured out. Give the jerk the bill, whether he pays it or you keep the engine, BUT get him to sign for all this to protect yourself. You could find yourself in small claims court, so best if you have some documentation.

The guy is a wicked looosaah. He was informed more than once that it was a very rusted and stuck pile of iron. $200 or forget about it was agreed upon. A deal is a deal. If he did not want to spend $200 he should have disassembled it himself. Oh wait, he is not smart enough to do it!
I say keep it and to he-- w/ him, and tell him so. He aint holdin no contract ! I can understand him thinking it`s all because u want it tho, he sounds as untrusting as me . Doesn`t sound like a friend to start with. Sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do.

I say keep it and to he-- w/ him, and tell him so. He aint holdin no contract ! I can understand him thinking it`s all because u want it tho, he sounds as untrusting as me . Doesn`t sound like a friend to start with. Sometimes u gotta do what u gotta do.

I can see that a little, too. I also told him that going into it and that if it ended up he didn't want it, maybe we could work somethin out, so it's not like it was a clandestine effort. lol He is just mad because 1) he paid 500 bucks for the rust ball and 2) I might end up with something good out of it. No way would he have gone to all the effort to get it apart and obviously he's not going to pay someone to do it. LOL

Send him a written bill via certified mail for the original agreed on amount of $200.

I might even even go buy a $5 book of invoices just so it looks professional.

Write on the bill that the engine will be returned when payment is rendered.

Keep a copy and the mail receipt.

That way, if the cops or a judge ever gets involved, you have evidence to submit with dates and specifics.

Lots of courts will favor those who have an account and the better quality of the account, the more favorable- IE video supersedes pictures, which supersedes writing which supersedes word of mouth, etc

Heck, you might even be able to file a legal mechanic's lien on it.

I'd look up what the state requires for that.

I can see that a little, too. I also told him that going into it and that if it ended up he didn't want it, maybe we could work somethin out, so it's not like it was a clandestine effort. lol He is just mad because 1) he paid 500 bucks for the rust ball and 2) I might end up with something good out of it. No way would he have gone to all the effort to get it apart and obviously he's not going to pay someone to do it. LOL

I think we all occasionally spend money on things that don't always work out, and normal people eat it, learn from it and move on.
He's just trying to make you eat some of his **** sandwich for him.

I frequently get calls from people that tell me they already spent what they can afford with someone else, and want me to straighten out someone elses mess for less.
I just smile and tell them no thank you.
One that really made me laugh was someone calling me and asking if there was anyone cheaper.:D
How do people have the balls for that I'll never understand.
To some people a little money is worth anything, including being an asshole or trashing their own integrity I guess.

Last edited:
Personally I do hate those that wrong me, but if they get me twice , it is my fault!! When I was younger I could have serious vengeance in mind. I ask God Almighty for forgiveness for those thoughts.

Same here. If anyone tries to screw me over a 2nd time, I remove them from my life - permanently. I do not hold a grudge against them; neither do I allow them a chance to do it again. I have had to recently end a couple of long term friendships because of this. It seems that some people assume since they have known you such a long time, they can abuse your trust. Once the trust is gone - the friendship ends.

Many years ago when I was running my auto upholstery business, I had a long time customer bring me a car to do a vinyl top replacement. He asked how much and I gave him my usual price.

He said that he knew of a guy doing it down the streeet doing it for 20% less. I said fine, take it to him.

He back peddled and said “oh no, I want you to do it for the same price.” I just smiled and said no.

He then said “Ok, I will let you do it for your price.”

I replied that my price just went up by 20%.

He was flabbergasted and said that wasn’t the price I had told him before.

I explained this is the new “you tried to cheat me” price and if he opened his mouth again about my price...it was going up by another 20%.

He thought about it and shut up. He paid me the extra 20% to do the job and never questioned my prices again. He remained a loyal customer for many more years.

Many years ago when I was running my auto upholstery business, I had a long time customer bring me a car to do a vinyl top replacement. He asked how much and I gave him my usual price.

He said that he knew of a guy doing it down the streeet doing it for 20% less. I said fine, take it to him.

He back peddled and said “oh no, I want you to do it for the same price.” I just smiled and said no.

He then said “Ok, I will let you do it for your price.”

I replied that my price just went up by 20%.

He was flabbergasted and said that wasn’t the price I had told him before.

I explained this is the new “you tried to cheat me” price and if he opened his mouth again about my price...it was going up by another 20%.

He thought about it and shut up. He paid me the extra 20% to do the job and never questioned my prices again. He remained a loyal customer for many more years.
Some times you DO get what you pay for!

People gifted to do business can get away with raising the prices on their goods and services, while the rest of us can't. Had an '85 Olds Cutlass Cierra for sale for $2000.00 and I was about to close the sale when my wife showed up and said she didn't want to sell the car after all, but would let it go for an extra $200.00. The prospective buyer paid the $2,200.00!

Last edited:
I really like this idea with the addition of giving him 10 days to respond. If he responds you get your money, if he doesn't he forfeits his rights to the parts, nice and legal.

Send him a written bill via certified mail for the original agreed on amount of $200.

I might even even go buy a $5 book of invoices just so it looks professional.

Write on the bill that the engine will be returned when payment is rendered.

Keep a copy and the mail receipt.

That way, if the cops or a judge ever gets involved, you have evidence to submit with dates and specifics.

Lots of courts will favor those who have an account and the better quality of the account, the more favorable- IE video supersedes pictures, which supersedes writing which supersedes word of mouth, etc

Why play with this fool. keep the engine and tell him to go pound sand. you aren't the first guy this fella tried to welch on , you can bet on that. and who the F pays 500 bucks for a rusty old 396.

I think we all occasionally spend money on things that don't always work out, and normal people eat it, learn from it and move on.
He's just trying to make you eat some of his **** sandwich for him.

I frequently get calls from people that tell me they already spent what they can afford with someone else, and want me to straighten out someone elses mess for less.
I just smile and tell them no thank you.
One that really made me laugh was someone calling me and asking if there was anyone cheaper.:D
How do people have the balls for that I'll never understand.
To some people a little money is worth anything, including being an asshole or trashing their own integrity I guess.

When I had the restoration shop I frequently heard, "why are you so expensive?" Ummm.... Because you asked me to quote you for a restoration.

I'd look at the estimate from a body shop, who quoted a cheap paint job, tell the customer to ask the other guy why he's so cheap. Then proceed to tell the customer I couldn't buy the material and load it in his trunk for as cheap as the other guy was quoting for the entire job.

Want good work? Pay for it. Want my skills and knowledge, you're going to pay for it.

I really like this idea with the addition of giving him 10 days to respond. If he responds you get your money, if he doesn't he forfeits his rights to the parts, nice and legal.

Do the certified letter give the guy time to come and get his stuff after he pays for it, for the full works. The main thing is you need to cover your ***.

People gifted to do business can get away with raising the prices on their goods and services, while the rest of us can't. Had an '85 Olds Cutlass Cierra for sale for $2000.00 and I was about to close the sale when my wife showed up and said she didn't want to sell the car after all, but would let it go for an extra $200.00. The prospective buyer paid the $2,200.00!

Gotta say, I woulda walked on that one !

Why play with this fool. keep the engine and tell him to go pound sand. you aren't the first guy this fella tried to welch on , you can bet on that. and who the F pays 500 bucks for a rusty old 396.
Agree w/ this, "if " I was going to build a rat it would be the biggest I could come up with anyway. Same as GEN 3 HEMI, WHY GO TO ALL THAT TROUBLE FOR A LOW H.P. VERSION TO START WITH.

-
Back