Original owner of my 69 Dart writes me back an email

-

MoparLvr

Reaction score
I thought this was really cool and wanted to share this with you folks.
Hi Bill,

I'm still in semi-shock and awe at seeing my original 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 this evening with you at the Pony Coral on Grant Avenue. Thanks for the attached pictures. I've wanted to see her again since 1978. That's 32 years of looking and hoping! It's like being reunited with a long lost child or your first love. What can I say? It was like I saw her for the first time, as I did after I bought her brand new in 1969. She was custom ordered into winnipeg and I had to wait for 7 weeks for her to arrive. I first saw her beside the freight elevator on the third floor of the old Century Motors showroom building on Main Street (just south of Portage Avenue). The stories that car that car could tell! The excitement and the adventures! Both legal and illegal! My memories of her are incredible and are too much to put into words. You've kept her like new for all these years. Actually, all three of us owners have now babied and protected her for her entire life. I owned and looked after her for her first 9 years of life, then the Winkler owner had her for about 2 years and then you have owned her the longest time which has been about 30 years. That's unbelievable! I can't believe she has had another life without me. It doesn't seem possible and it seems like cheating. Thanks for looking after her so well and taking care of her. She is still in showroom condition and looks like brand new right out of the showroom. She continues to be super-spoiled as she was when she was mine. Nothing else will do or is acceptable. I will let this all sink in and will call you later in the summer. If you ever want to sell her, please let me know. Later on, I'd love to go for a ride with you in her. It would bring back many memories. Take care of yourself and my baby. She, or I, wouldn't have it any other way. Be sure to keep in touch.

Lorne

man, super cool!!! im still looking for mine that I lost here in houston. 74 Dart Sport, tan half vinyl top, with that cool black stripe down the side and over the top. Miss her, she was my first A-Body

Wow talk about luck, for the both of you! When you hear some of those old stories your gonna have to post them up here.

I'd let him drive her again just so I could see the look on his face! Great story.

That's Cool... I checked out your pics of the restore, that's a super nice Dart... I bet he had nightmares last night about letting that one go... I've had a lot of muscle cars, the mopars are the only one's I miss... I kept up with my old mopars over the years, all are gone except the B-5 blue '70 GTX and I regret that one the most...

That's Cool... I checked out your pics of the restore, that's a super nice Dart... I bet he had nightmares last night about letting that one go... I've had a lot of muscle cars, the mopars are the only one's I miss... I kept up with my old mopars over the years, all are gone except the B-5 blue '70 GTX and I regret that one the most...

Thanks for the kind comments!! I think he went for quite the drive down memory lane last night!! Yes your GTX I'm sure would have been a tough one to say goodbye to.

Amazing.
How many of these original owners are still out there, very few I'm sure.
says he'd like to take a ride in it again...sounds like it should be a good time, especially if you allowed him to drive.

That's cool, when I bought my Dart in 93, I researched the original owners name at the library (phone books, before I had internet) and found an address, then about 4 years ago I get a call from the original owner, wish I would have taken notes, heard some interesting stories and found out out how it got from Utah to Sioux Falls, SD. Should write down the stories before I forget them completely. When I took it to the first car show I had owned it less than a week and this guy comes running, jumps the rope around the car show area and says "that's my car, that's my car" I'm thinking wtf. He starts telling where he bought it and that he had it in downtown Sioux Falls with the top down and he came out of a store to find a lit cigarette in the backseat, later while cleaning I found a cigarette burn between the bottom and back of the seat. Wish I would have got his name. I have had contact with 3 of the 4 (that I have found) owners of this car.

Amazing.
How many of these original owners are still out there, very few I'm sure.
says he'd like to take a ride in it again...sounds like it should be a good time, especially if you allowed him to drive.

Oh yeah as my pal Mark commented when he sat in it the look on his face was as if he was back in 1969 reliving all those adventures he and his buds had with her.

Wow that is a cool email Bill. Lorne seems like a pretty cool guy and emotional about the Swinger. I think you have a new friend now who will want to write you a cheque one day. Crazy how he said he paid $2800 for it in 69, where it is almost 10 times that amount now. My dad knows the orginal owner for my dart, but he is a dumb@#@# apparently and not worth talking to, besides I know it does not have the cool history of your Swinger. Well maybe Sunday, if your in town, we can do an afternoon cruise to Lockport for some lunch!

Thats cool. My friend has a similar story with his 37' plymouth pickup. Not the original owner, but the person who turned it into a hotrod happened to find the truck at a car show and has offered some outrageous prices to buy back the truck.

Wow that is a cool email Bill. Lorne seems like a pretty cool guy and emotional about the Swinger. I think you have a new friend now who will want to write you a cheque one day. Crazy how he said he paid $2800 for it in 69, where it is almost 10 times that amount now. My dad knows the orginal owner for my dart, but he is a dumb@#@# apparently and not worth talking to, besides I know it does not have the cool history of your Swinger. Well maybe Sunday, if your in town, we can do an afternoon cruise to Lockport for some lunch!

Sunday Cruise sounds goods. Have a look at tomorrow's newspaper. Lorne arranged an interview with Gord Sinclair of the Winnipeg Free Press. I took the Dart back to the Pony today for some photo shoots and the interview. This just keeps getting cooler and cooler. Lots more to tell.

Great story. You will have to let us know when the story hits the paper, I don't buy it every day and would hate to miss it. Robert

That rocks Bill. Love that threatening sunshine in the background. Really sets off your car's color :)

Grant

-
Back