Out of a Job...moving back to Florida

-
Sorry for the situation Gary. One door closes another one opens. Keep the faith and welcome back to the sunshine state.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I know it will all work out in the end. Before I went to work for this company, I was self-employed for about 7 years. I used to sell/broker printing & packaging plus had a small sign shop form which I did vinyl graphics. I made darn good money and know I can do it again. That is probably one of the main reasons my wife did not freak out at the prospect of me being "unemployed." Even now, I actually have six cars lined up to do resto work on at my shop here in TX. And that is pretty much from word of mouth and one small blurb I put in a Craigslist ad. I am sure if we decided to stay here I could keep busy with that work but Home is South Florida, so we'll be heading back as soon as our house sells.

this thread started bad, but it sounds like things are going to work out just fine for you! Best of luck...by the way, you should call your old client contacts and tell them how your old company is about to screw them. Make sure they know you left rather than be a part of that. Could be good references for you down the road.

Sounds like a life learning experience.
I 've had a few myself.

I guess it's the only way you can look at it, plus you can look back and say you have character and integrity.

I think you should call the customer and tell them the aswipes wanted you to lie for them and you no longer work there because of it....maybe start your own comparny knowing what you know and become a direct competitor of those who gave you the shaft.....oh yeah, payback is great especially when it's legal.

Cudaspaz, that little movie snipet of the guy wiping the blood off his car is too funny. Thanks for the laugh. I love jokes like that:cheers:

Just caught this thread, and I tell ya, I went from mad to glad in less than a page. From the glowing threads I've read about you and your sideline business, I am confident that your future will be prosperous and fufilling. Onward and upward..

Grant

Well, today was my first day in 4 years not going to "the plant" for work. I actually woke up early and got to my shop by 8am. Did a couple of stripe kits and then had lunch with 3 of the Buyers I used to deal with. They called me and wanted to treat me to lunch as a thank you for the years of hard work and for making their job easier. Funny - they are the ones thanking me instead of my old bosses. The buyers are dreading having to deal with someone else especially the person my former employers earmarked as my replacement. They are really afraid he is going to be totally overwhelmed.

After lunch, back to the shop to shoot the jambs on the '67 Satellite.

My wife has been VERY busy sorting through our "stuff" and we've already managed to sell our patio furniture, one of our couches, and a few other things we did not want to bring back with us. Once my wife is done sorting, I'll be attacking the punch-out list on the house to put it on the market and listing some other "extra items" on Craigslist that we do not want to move back to Florida.

Tomorrow, gonna swing by another Dodge Dealer to prospect about stripes for the new Charger and Challengers. Then, head to the shop to hang the doors and hood back on the '67. After that I'll do the final block and prime on the body. Hopefully, Wednesday will be paint day!!!

I thought I posted my thoughts and prayers here but I must have got distracted challengergary :angry7: I was keeping an eye on this thread to see how things are going for you and by my surprise I did not see my post.
I am glad there is still honor in some people know a day's, I would not make it as a salesman, I tried it one time and they taught me how to manipulate and how to target your customer :angry7: Till one day I seen the owner painting a cheep Janitral heat and air handler as a high priced unit I sold for him :angry7: Not me I said, and emptied my service truck and quit and told the customer, I live in this town and I am not here to make money that way and drove home, They called me back to do service work for them and wanted there books back :angry7: I told them to come and get them :toothy10: I still have them. I will keep you and your wife in my thought and prayers for a good change and a safe one :happy10:
Do keep us updated

Way to stick it out Gary. Who knows you might fall for our great state and stay! Heaven knows we need some "honest" shops here that ain't a jip and actually knows what they are doing to boot. Where is your place if I may ask? Who knows, might be able to give you a dig...

Sounds like a life learning experience.
I 've had a few myself.

I guess it's the only way you can look at it, plus you can look back and say you have character and integrity.

I think you should call the customer and tell them the aswipes wanted you to lie for them and you no longer work there because of it....maybe start your own comparny knowing what you know and become a direct competitor of those who gave you the shaft.....oh yeah, payback is great especially when it's legal.

Too funny! What is that gif from?

i lived in jupiter and worked at taquesta goodyear store long time ago. dubbles road was the party spot. burts ranch is there to. we live on the train tracks across the steet from the cop station

Update - House goes on the market on Tuesday. Wife & 2 of the kids are heading down to Florida to stay with friends and look for a place to live. Meanwhile I'll stay here and work at the shop on customer vehicles and my 70 Challenger R/T (which I plan on selling as soon as possible to stay afloat).

Had a fellow Mopar Nut swing by the shop yesterday and asked me to paint 2 of his cars. Looks like I'll have plenty to do while I wait for the house to sell...

Also, the contact from my old place of work that offered to put a word in for me with my old company's competitor said she spoke with them and they are very interested. They asked her to get my resume for them...

Quick update. No luck selling the house. Decided to roll it into our BK which is being converted to chap 7. Sold my Challenger to a Cuda-Challenger.com member from Canada. He is going to pay me to finish it - I made him a sweat deal on thee labor. I am going to be bringing the Challenger down to Florida in about 4-6 weeks and opening a sign/graphics shop with a space for car resto work as well.

Wife came back from her trip to FL after a couple of weeks because she was frustrated. Could not find a house "in our budget" basically because we did not have the money for any sort of deposits etc. The Challenger deal solved that problem. Family is going to stay in TX until I find us some housing and then I will come back to TX to load up and drive the Uhaul...

Sorry to hear you had to sell the challenger, but we do what we must do. You are a talented and enterprising guy and you will get though this and once again move forward. Best of luck and my thoughts are with you in the future. Rog

Corporate greed and lack of caring for the workers who make a company what they are is the one main ingredient that has ruined the economy and thrown the world in to an economic recession. And it's only a recession if you still have a job. If not, then it's a depression for you and yours.
I've been through a couple of these cycles Gary, and I can only say, keep your head up and good things eventually happen to good people. And you are obviously one of the good ones. Good luck in your future endeavors buddy.

Hey Gary, you sound like a stand up Guy for sure!!,I'm in Naples, economy is still bad here, but it sounds like new doors are already starting to open up for you, I hope everything works out.-Good luck fishing

wish you luck. we had to do the Bank rup. thing last year. thing were tough but getting beter.the whole thing sucks as they sold the old house one day later but 100. grand less than we owned and the bank wound not give us that deal. they the bank making money off us and they are selling the property too,so i don,t feel bad for them as they didnot care about us.from now on it,s byer bewhere.

-
Back