overheating when turning off car

-

firekrotch26

1st time dart owner
Reaction score
This 225 stays perfectly cool and runs great while im driving it but when i let idle {after its fully warmed up} for more than 5 minutes than it starts to overheat? Then after i park it and turn the car off its goes up maybe 50 to 60 degrees, i just put a new thermostat in it, flushed the radiator, and replaced the lower hose. what could cause this and how do i fix it? I have a fan shroud but im not currently using it,after it over heated today i noticed a bit of oil dripping out from the oil pan and surrounding areas also it sprang a few leaks of antifreeze after overheating.

my 318 did the same, I think its becasue the motor is still hot and so is the coolant, but no flow becasue the motor is off

Hi have you checked the radiator cap it could be faulty or may be the wrong pressure rating my slant 225 radiator cap is 14 psi something else to look at
good luck.

Not using the shroud is probably why it overheats idling. When idling there's no air flow without it. Going down the road you get plenty of air flow so it don't overheat.

Is the temp sender screwed right into the head? If so it's heat soaking when you shut it off causing the gauge to go up. Does the gauge go right back down after you start it? If so don't worry about the heat soak. It happens on all vehicles but most have the sender screwed into the intake so it doesn't go up after you shut it off.

Ever replace the water pump?
I had a car years ago that electrolysis had eaten the impeller enough that at an idle it wouldn't get enough coolant movement but would be fine at speed.

Thanks guys, i really want to put the shroud back on , i tried to get a 14/13 pound/psi cap but autozone does not sell them! anyway i flushed the system again and now everything seems to work fine

I had a similar problem with my 383, couldnt get to the bottom of it until I pulled the hoses and thermostat and flushed the block. There was enough sediment to restrict coolant flow but once I did that it was fine!
joe

my 318 did the same, I think its becasue the motor is still hot and so is the coolant, but no flow becasue the motor is off
I think what you are saying is when the car was turned off breifly the temp gauge would race toward hot at switch on. That is one of those bad voltage limiter conditions.
In any situation it's best to check with another mor accurate type gauge.

I put an electric fan in front of the radiator.

DSCN0323Medium.JPG

-
Back