Painting my block...what color and prep?

-

ValiantOne

Reaction score
Hey All,

Putting a magnum 360 in the 68 Val. The val's original 273 was/is painted mopar red. The 360 mag was black.

I was thinking to keep the red, but my engine is going to retain the serpentine acessories and eventually will be an EFI engine. Maybe that'd look better black........??

Totally cannot decide.

Also, I am going to paint the block now, before I put the rest of the engine together, as it may be a while and I don't want to have to clean a bunch of new rust off to paint it when it is already assembled. The block is pretty dang rusty to begin with. What is the best way to clean her up? Knotted wire cup or something?

Do I need to use a rust converter? Or just get as much off as I can, then prime and paint?

Thanks!

CE

Kinda rusty!

IMG_20170620_161502916.jpg

I've never primed a block or engine component. Just take your time and spray light coats. I'd go mopar red. So when you get the black on it the block will pop out at you. I love seeing a painted block and Intake. Heads even when done right. It's all up to you though. Take a poll, and see what ppl are doing an like. IMO the mopar red though. Also be weary and think about how hot that engine will be. If you add primer that isn't heat resistant or the rust converter, that's not going to be a good day. Fires can happen or the paint will fleck and bubble. Then peel off

Rust convert if you like but that is not tooo rusty. Wipe it down a 2-3 times all over with Prep-All and that will make the paint stick. As suggested above, a few light coats will work well without any primer.

I personally like the Chrysler Red. VHT Chrysler Red engine paint is an exact match to the original Chrysler red from the early 60's. But it is what you like.

I vote Chrysler red. Do it right, and as stated the engine will jump out at you when you open the hood.
barracudadave67

I just got off the phone with Tim from Hughes Engines. I ordered the engine primer from them. He made another good point. It is hard to see leaks on black.

I'm going with Chrysler red.

What is the best type of wipe down rag? Something that won't leave fuzz on the engine.

Oh in addition to "non-fuzzing" wipes, should I paint before or after installing freeze plugs?

The npt plugs will go in as I want them to be painted, and keep paint out of the oil galleries, but the brass freeze plugs might look nice unpainted. No?

Yes. Go down to the local auto parts store and get what's called a tack cloth. Every pass use that before spraying. It's super sticky. I use that when painting cars. Gets all the fuzzies and stuff

I vote black... you said the engine came black... ma moper didn't worry about seeing leaks. It's supposed to not leak anyways if built correctly...:rolleyes:

Yes. Go down to the local auto parts store and get what's called a tack cloth. Every pass use that before spraying. It's super sticky. I use that when painting cars. Gets all the fuzzies and stuff

I actually do have some tack cloths, I was looking more for a non-fuzzing cloth to use with the prep solvent.

Thanks!

Yeah. Tack cloth is the end all of fuzzies and overspray. I use them alot

Don't get a micro-fiber towel anywhere near what you want to paint, those fibers are a ***** to remove once snagged on the casting.

I just got off the phone with Tim from Hughes Engines. I ordered the engine primer from them. He made another good point. It is hard to see leaks on black.

I'm going with Chrysler red.

What is the best type of wipe down rag? Something that won't leave fuzz on the engine.

Oh in addition to "non-fuzzing" wipes, should I paint before or after installing freeze plugs?

The npt plugs will go in as I want them to be painted, and keep paint out of the oil galleries, but the brass freeze plugs might look nice unpainted. No?

Freeze plugs before paint... the paint can build up in the bore and make the freeze plug install difficult....

The Mopar spray paint is much thicker than the plasti-kote. I would recommend it. It takes a while for it to dry and not be tacky (about a week) but lays on nice and thick...

My brother worked at a body shop and always told me to use primer, even on engines...

Also wipe bare metal with a solvent (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, paint thinner, etc) to de-grease to keep fish eyes down, then use a tack cloth after solvent is dry and spray...

I put ospho on my bare block before paint. As far as paint goes, Chrysler red and nothing other than Bill Hirsch paints. You will find nothing better !!

Hirsch for color sure if you are worried about concourse correct... but urathane will be light years better paint then he sells.

Last edited:
I vote black... you said the engine came black... ma moper didn't worry about seeing leaks.

Not exactly...

Ma Mopar tried to hide the leaks by painting the engine blocks black - it reduces warranty when the customer can't notice.... After painting the blocks black, oil leak warranty claims went down because most people couldn't notice the leaks...

That way they get credit for fixing a problem that they really did nothing productive to fix.... So they get that good performance review....

I prefer the more traditional block colors like small block blue, hemi orange, and red.... That way if there are any oil leaks, I can see them early and get them fixed...

It's supposed to not leak anyways if built correctly...:rolleyes:

Yes that's true, they shouldn't leak if built right, but the managers there could give a **** about if leaks, they are more concerned with their paychecks and grabbing all the bonuses they can... They have built a culture of putting production numbers before quality on their priority list... They will knowingly ship a quality problem than stop the line and answer to their bosses on why they didn't meet their production numbers that day... The warranty doesn't hit for 3 - 6 months after they shipped it...

I put ospho on my bare block before paint. As far as paint goes, Chrysler red and nothing other than Bill Hirsch paints. You will find nothing better !!

was just reading about ospho. I may try this. Do you have a source for the brand you use?

Thanks

Another vote for red. I used DupliColor Chrysler Industrial Red.

engine 286.jpg

-
Back